Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2008, 12:19 am

Is anyone into VOIP? My sister is moving away to college. We both have laptops with built-in webcams and I thought it would be nice to do video calls. I was wondering if anyone had a strong opinion of which to use. I've read some arguments on both sides, but they may be outdated. There are also lots of different SIP providers and softphone clients to choose from. (I'm currently leaning towards SIP over Skype, maybe with Wengophone or Free World Dialup?)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

Barring whatever your internet connection costs, in the first place, Skype is completely free, between Skype users. Are there any totally free VOIP providers?

A little old... http://www.voipnow.org/2007/04/want_free_voip_.html

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

I would prefer to use a truly free version that is compatible with other VoIP clients, but Skype is more common than all the rest together.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2008, 12:25 pm

When it comes to Skype I would like to point out that using an older version is definitely recommended if the computer isn't very fast.

At oldversion.com they have discussed the problems which can arise with Skype and they also offer older versions of Skype to be downloaded.

Check this link out.

What computer hardware do you have over there?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:43 am

BTW, I has old portable skype version, pm if your interested (.