Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 3:28 pm

Well I'm not changing because I hate everything else I've seen. I'm not a computer expert - I tired for several days to figure out how to use them and couldn't. I couldn't even get my email since there was no longer that icon at the top of the screen in the browser.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 5:44 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
Well I'm not changing because I hate everything else I've seen. I'm not a computer expert - I tired for several days to figure out how to use them and couldn't. I couldn't even get my email since there was no longer that icon at the top of the screen in the browser.

I'm not sure what you mean by "icon at the top of the screen." If you have simple web-based e-mail, you check it by navigating to that site. It's the same in any browser, and I've used nearly all of them at one time or another.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 7:14 pm

I have comcast mail with outlook express - there's an icon with a picture of an open envelope between the "print" and "history" button. That's where I get my mail.

GustavHolst
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2009, 7:29 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
Autoplay is any video or audio that plays on a website without you clicking on something to play it - often unwanted.

IE6 = Internet Explorer 6.

I was just joking with ya. I know what IE6 is :) I haven't used internet explorer in a real long time, so I can't help you out. I guess use a different browser if this autoplay thing bugs you so much.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 7:57 pm

Problem is I can't figure out how to use any other browser.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 7:58 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
I have comcast mail with outlook express - there's an icon with a picture of an open envelope between the "print" and "history" button. That's where I get my mail.

I thought Outlook Express and Internet Explorer were separate programs?

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:08 pm

Well, the icon for it is on where I mentioned oin IE and I have no idea how else to get it - then there's all the other multiple problems I had trying to figure out other browsers. I'm about as good with technology as I am with reading body language.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 9:18 pm

MattShizzle wrote:
Well, the icon for it is on where I mentioned oin IE and I have no idea how else to get it - then there's all the other multiple problems I had trying to figure out other browsers. I'm about as good with technology as I am with reading body language.

Outlook Express should be in your Start menu. Depending on which version of Windows you have and whether you chose the new or "classic" menu style, it may or may not be pinned to the top of the start menu along with your browser. In any case, it can be found in the start menu, and from there a desktop shortcut to it is just a right-click away.

Now, I'd avoid Outlook if at all possible, but using Outlook isn't as suicidal as IE6.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2009, 10:37 pm

I think what he means by the icon is a toolbar. Some programs put their own toolbar at the top of IE.

MattShizzle, I agree that you should upgrade to IE7. If Microsoft has stopped doing updates for IE6, then you are extremely vulnerable to an attack -- you could lose your entire computer. What happens is that hackers find "holes" in the browser's programming and use those to attack people's computers. Microsoft finds or is told about these "holes" and they send out "patches" to fix them and keep your computer safe. Your computer was probably set up to receive these updates automatically -- you don't have to do anything. However, when a program gets too old, Microsoft will no longer take the time to create "patches" -- the "holes" stay open and all sorts of bad stuff can get into your computer.

IE7 isn't much different from IE6 -- not on the surface, anyway. It looks a little different, but the main difference is the tabs, which you don't have to use if they confuse you -- you can open a new window for everything just like you do in IE6.

I would suggest that you find someone who is good at computers and have them sit down with you and show you how to use IE7. That same person can also put an icon for Outlook Express right on your desktop or on the taskbar at the bottom of your screen so that you can find it easily.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2009, 3:05 am

CelticRose wrote:
I would suggest that you find someone who is good at computers and have them sit down with you and show you how to use IE7. That same person can also put an icon for Outlook Express right on your desktop or on the taskbar at the bottom of your screen so that you can find it easily.

From what the OP has said that sounds like very good advice. If he continues to use IE6 it is a disaster waiting to happen.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 8:26 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I'll have to stop you there. Opera is and was based on IE especially the rendering engine. While thier current version seem aright from development work I've done, opera does tend to have the same issues that IE has for obvious reasons. Plus earlier versions had ridiculous graphical errors that you wouldn’t believe, which has made it more a pain to developed for the IE.

0_equals_true wrote:
In fact come to think of it I still noticed some odd graphical quirk in opera 9.5+

Do you notice the contradiction? If Opera's rendering engine is really based on IE, why would its output different to IE? Are you confusing Opera with IE shells like Maxthon? Opera has its own rendering engine since day one. In fact the underlying working of Opera is often time even more different from IE than Mozilla.

MattShizzle, like so many here have already said, you should really use something other than IE. Outlook Express is an individual program, it should be in the first page of "All Programs". Find it and rid yourself of the "Internet Explorder".

I haven't used Internet Explorder for ages, but if you still insist on using it then:
open Internet Options > Security > Internet > Custom Level...
try changing those ActiveX, ActiveScripting things to prompt.

I don't think there's a specific option for videos, so most likely even if you find the combinations that works, it'll end up much broader than you like.