Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 12:45 am

Facebook is a trojan. It is also a sucker trap.
It also has frequent virus outbreaks in the games.
It also uses a ridiculous amount of scripts.
It also has a serious tendency to force you to login to the wrong account.
(especially if you use a shared computer with gmail, youtube, igoogle, etc etc)
I played with it "because everyone else was using it" while already knowing this.

It is basically a social data mining system with a smile on it,
compared to the previous system of chain letter spam with a
sob story that ends in "email this to 10 friends or you will get 10 years of bad luck"
or a nicer inverse logic superstition "For good luck, send to 10 friends".
or Microsoft wants help to test email, every 10th person gets paid, etc.

The quality of facebook is minimal. Its barely "cute" enough to hide its evil purpose.

alternatenick
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Mar 2010, 2:18 am

It's uninteresting and nobody ever messages me.

Other than that, just the stuff people here have said.

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

is it just me or die i find games on facebook boring?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:23 pm

1. How people can whimsically remove people as friends.

2. How they are always altering the layout of the darn page.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:27 pm

I've never been on the Facebook site - see no point.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:31 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

thy should have left it the way it was, nobody can find their list of friends, now if i want to remove someone, i have to go to their wall/profile and find the "remove from friends" link.

facebook, why cant you keep it simple, like it was!!?!?

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2010, 5:59 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

This seems to be a universal gripe, but really, would you prefer they went back to the circa 2004 layout?

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 3:04 am

i like it. i can be social anti-socially

alana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:34 am

ValMikeSmith wrote:
Facebook is a trojan. It is also a sucker trap.
It also has frequent virus outbreaks in the games.
It also has a serious tendency to force you to login to the wrong account.
(especially if you use a shared computer with gmail, youtube, igoogle, etc etc)
I played with it "because everyone else was using it" while already knowing this.

It is basically a social data mining system with a smile on it,
compared to the previous system of chain letter spam with a
sob story that ends in "email this to 10 friends or you will get 10 years of bad luck"
or a nicer inverse logic superstition "For good luck, send to 10 friends".
or Microsoft wants help to test email, every 10th person gets paid, etc.

The quality of facebook is minimal. Its barely "cute" enough to hide its evil purpose.

I love this quote so much I am thinking about posting it in my 'favorite quotations' section of my facebook. Can I? I will credit your username. :)

alana
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 4:48 am

doordoctor wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

thy should have left it the way it was, nobody can find their list of friends, now if i want to remove someone, i have to go to their wall/profile and find the "remove from friends" link.

facebook, why cant you keep it simple, like it was!!?!?

just go to all connections and do 'break connection' or 'remove connection'

as to #1 you are right and I think this is such a mistake. It's happened to me twice, while there are people I'd like to remove on mine now I am not going to because I may see them in person one day and since it happened to me I feel like that person has no use for me at all and if they see me I will not talk to them. Therefore, even though those people I am not crazy about, i would certainly speak to them and hug them in person if I saw them. So I definitely will not remove them.

I have removed people in the past, at first I friended a whole lot of friends from college, when I was a huge drunk with terrible problems figuring out how to relate with people (i.e. the aspergers, hence the drinking) only to find they would add me but would not acknowledge my existence in any way whatsoever. So those folks after a while I just got rid of in one fell swoop. I am quite certain I will never see them again and if I do I won't care. I apparently was a whole lot bigger @sshole then I remembered being back then. Alot of it was growing up with terrible role models too so the only models I had for social interaction were woefully inadequate, I really was a walking disaster. But I don't understand why anyone would friend you and then ignore you. Good grief, if you don't like me, just refuse it. At least then I know the score. Oh, wait, it does make their friends list bigger, that just occurred to me. Oh and what really kills me is folks that won't speak to you at all but will send you offers to join a fan page for their business. that one really gets me. I have one girl like that on mine now but I know if I see her again in person, and there is a very good chance of it someday, we will hug and speak like yesterday. It's a very weird and perplexing little microcosm. I finally gave up on posting those little updates that always read (at least to me) like "I just had a bowel movement, light brown and firm consistency" because apparently nothing I say is interesting. So I just post music and read the stuff other people post. It's more fun not having to wonder if people will respond to anything I say, because almost no one ever does.

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 7:32 am

ValMikeSmith wrote:

Yes it does, I had to enable so many things just to get the damn site to work so that my sister could use it for 10 minutes.

And the rest of what you said made sense too. So much thatit's quite eerie. It does sound like a great way to collect data on people, considering that so many have joined. There was an article in todays newspaper that said 4/5 high school students use it. Easy data source on the next generation for the government.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2010, 8:59 am

Avarice wrote:
ValMikeSmith wrote:

Yes it does, I had to enable so many things just to get the damn site to work so that my sister could use it for 10 minutes.

And the rest of what you said made sense too. So much thatit's quite eerie. It does sound like a great way to collect data on people, considering that so many have joined. There was an article in todays newspaper that said 4/5 high school students use it. Easy data source on the next generation for the government.

Why do you have so much crap disabled?

JulietMylaOwen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2010, 4:40 am

Student to take legal action against his suspension for Facebook posting

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 7:30 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Avarice wrote:
ValMikeSmith wrote:

Why do you have so much crap disabled?

Because I hate it when scripts run without me wanting them to, lots of sites are enabled like this one and any others usually only take one or two clicks and they are too, but not Facebook, that took a while to get working, and then my sister wasted at least an hour on it, hardly 10 minutes.

I'm fairly paranoid, so I prefer to control what gets to run and what doesn't.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2010, 6:12 am

i hate facebook because my b/f hacked into mine even tho i told him it was a private one i used for random thoughts for the day a bit like a diary. so he reads it then tells me and i want to get my own back and show him what its like for your privacy to be invaded . but i cant because i am not a computer expert and he is so he can get in to everything and says nobody can get into his . hes so arrogant . he musyt be the only person around whos internet stuff is 100% unhackable .

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2010, 10:21 am

YasminTiara wrote:
Everything is wrong in Facebook

AMEN!! !

And the fact they changed the site so your home isn't your profile but a stupid "newsfeed". Thanks a lot Fb but if I want to know what my friends or game acquaintances are doing I'd rather navigate to their profile page of my own valition. The thing though I hate most is they reconfigured the friends lists to be alpha by first name, It was less confusing when it was organized alpha by last name, imho.