Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

bandgeek13094
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2010, 3:48 pm

Well, I don't really need to know even the category of interest until September, but I've already pretty much decided on behavioral and social sciences. I'm trying to think of a project idea right now. I think something with colors and memorization/learning would be interesting also how color blindness would play a role in that. Like to see how colors effect learning with people who can see colors normally vs how color blind people do and how they respond learning wise to it. Also things with colors and emotions interest me. I think it's called color psychology? (But it's under behavioral and social for science fair). Anyway...I'm not quite sure what to do so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I'm in 11th grade and in an honors class, so it can't be anything too easy (plus I'd like to maybe get to at least the school science fair... something I've never done before). I have to be able to write 15 pages on whatever it is.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2010, 4:46 pm

bandgeek13094 wrote:
Like to see how colors effect learning with people who can see colors normally vs how color blind people do and how they respond learning wise to it.

There was an article in the New Scientist magazine last week about how having language for things affects the way people remember or feel about those things, such as having words for colours affecting whether people remember details of an event - http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg2 ... ought.html

Maybe people who are red-green colour blind might have more difficulty remembering the difference between two items in a catalogue, or the details of an accident involving red and green cars.

You would need a lot of people, perhaps 40 or so colour-blind people, so 800 or so in your available population (assuming 5% colour blind), for a reasonable chance of statistically significant findings.