Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 3:50 am

Ok, I'll list all the information because it would seem that I have no clue.

I am using (trying that is) a D-Link wireless ADSL Router (model DSL G604T). This computer will be the 'host' on, and I'm trying to set it up. I'm pretty sure I need static IP, so I do the ipconfig thing in 'run', get my ip, default gateway and default gateway. Then I put that info in the TCP/IP part of my wireless properties in Network Connections, but the internet still wont work.
I try putting in 10.1.1.1 but it doesn't work either - it used to but I don't know what happened.

I don't know if this will make sense, this isn't my area I'm afraid, but any help would be immensely appreciated. I'm getting very desperate. :(

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 6:11 am

some routers use 192.168.1.1, tried that one?? that will lead to a "website" like interface. the router must be connected to the "host" computer. with many wireless routers the wireless capabilities are turned on by defualt. if you can connect to internet using the host computer(usually wired directly to router) means you have an internet ip address.

do this on computer u want to access on wireless:

about the computer you are tryng to use as a wireless computer, if its a laptop made after about 2003 or 2004 it might have a built in wlan(wireless local area network) card. if it does, turn on wireless(usually a button or switch above keyboard or on side of laptop case) then observe the computer for saying it detected a new connection. when it finds one, click connect. it will then ask for a ssid and WEP key (these are on bottom of router case) you will then have to type these number/letters in the feilds in secured connection box. click ok. try to go on web it should work.

good luck

bish
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2006, 7:39 am

agree, i tried in vain to connect using a laptop.could not find ip. didn't work until i went into (like doordoctor said) router interface details(using a wired connection). selected wep only (not wep and wpa) once the wep only option was made it worked fine. (just to confirm what doordoctor said!)

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 4:07 am

Thanks guys! Problem solved

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2006, 7:08 am

great!! ! glad its now fixed mitch, did my suggestions about it give the cure???

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 2:16 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
I am using (trying that is) a D-Link wireless ADSL Router (model DSL G604T)
hmmm, I use the exact same router (DSL-G604T) so any more problem just ask me about them :D

Always willing to help :D

albertpaul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2015, 1:26 am

Good your post , I think Macintosh locations of the greater part of your machines into the MAC directing table of your remote switch and ONLY ALLOW from the locations in the table of the remote switch...