Is the Linux+ Certification much use in the IT field?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 12:02 am

Is the Linux+ cert worth the time and money? I might have the opportunity to take it once I'm done with the MCSE and Security+ exams and I want to know if I should bother?

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2005, 4:14 am

I would given half a chance. Linux is gaining market share for servers and even on the desktop, and Linux certification can only add to your employability. 8)

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

alex
Developer
Developer

11 May 2005, 6:33 am

I don't know about the Linux+ certification but I do know that Linux will probably be more important than Windows or MCSE in administering servers as most servers run linux.

BlackBox
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 May 2005, 2:46 pm

probably, a lot of places these days are upgrading to linux from windows server 2003 servers. Why they use linux, instead of a BSD distro, dunno, I used linux on my homegrown server and wasnt too impressed, now i use BSD.

shade
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2005, 3:38 pm

Certifications can't hurt. I got a bunch of certs from Sun. The industry is really to the point that its all about who you know. Companies are (slowly) starting to wise up to the fresh-out-of-college yes men, and the companies that aren't are going bankrupt.

Certs aren't going to substitute for experience and skill though.

keeg
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 May 2005, 11:08 am

Yes it is worth it. I am looking for a computer related job at the moment and linux/unix is almost always required.