Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 6:05 am

I own an IBM Eserver Xseries 305.
What software can I use to manage my server on my LAN?
I would use TeamViewer but It will take up too much of my Kbps.
What can I use?
I woudl want to manage from remote locations too.
Windows XP pro is the OS on this machine (Cannot afford Windows Server 2003 yet).
Specs:
1GB DDR ram
1.8 Ghz P4

Is it worth using Windows Server on it anyway?

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

Madbones wrote:
What software can I use to manage my server on my LAN?

There are several VNC implementations that work well. There are also a couple of SSH implementations for Windows, which is probably the most minimal you could go. I have even used Telnet for remote management when I have had Windows machines on my network.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Remote Desktop is built into WinXP. If you're using Linux as the desktop that manages the server, there are a few RDP clients for Linux that work well.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

Remote Desktop to log in interactively. You need to enable remote connections in the system properties first.

To manage the "server" remotely: almost every management console (MMC) can be attached to another machine on the network. For example, open computer management in the administrative tools, right click on "local" and point it at the remote server. (Hopefully your DNS is functioning...) Or the event viewer or any other MMC.

You may need to download and install the adminpack from Microsoft to get some MMCs.

One final thought: you really should get Windows Server 2008 R2 and throw that onto the server. It isn't really a server if it's running XP. ;)

bigdango
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

I'm not sure if a 1.8ghz, 1 Gig machine is even that useful. The specs aren't enough to run Windows Small Business Server, and is there any reason to put Windows Server on it? Might as well stick with XP and use Remote Desktop or put a linux distro on it and learn.