Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2011, 5:32 am

Keith wrote:
You have listed 3x 570's. Why not a single 590 which is a single GPU with 2 580's slapped on it? Two of those and you have the equivalent of 4 580's (although slightly clocked slower)

If I could I would have but it is being built for me so I am happy with them and judging the benchmarks I've seen they will be more than adequate for me :)

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Nov 2011, 5:35 am

CloudWalker wrote:
Will the place you buy from assemble it too? If you are building it yourself, make sure at least one of the GPUs is single slot to make room for the x-fi.

Also, Barracuda Green is geared towards power efficiency. I would suggest replacing the Windows boot drive with a non-green variant.

Fair comment on the HDD but I have this obsession that all of them must be the same no idea why but my brain just works that way I am sure I can play about with the settings and get that sorted out with the hdd as for the sound-card I am sure the system builder will sort that out when they build it. I don't trust myself with a machine like this to build it myself. Done plenty of air cooled rigs but liquid cooling is something I feel is better left to people who know how to do it and have had practise at the art too not me who has no idea!

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Nov 2011, 1:12 pm

The system builder called me today have had to change my choice of graphics cards to 2x GTX 580's at no extra cost to me. Makes sense I guess with the fact the other three could have had potential heat issues and I'd feel happier that way. Anyway they seemed genuinely helpful.....

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2011, 4:45 am

Better not be an unknown manufacturer for the GTX's. I spent a fair amount of time searching who was better and offered the best support. So I went with eVGA

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2011, 4:30 pm

I'm certainly not up to speed on desktop hardware, but have recently spent a similar amount (of my employer's money) on a database server. Which serves 200 concurrent users and will run 24/7 for the next 3-5 years. It doesn't have a graphics card though.

That said, there is utility value in having a computer now, and not in a few years time when it is cheap. The machine I bought as a research student was by today's standards poorly spec-ed, expensive and soon obsolete. But I needed a computer then.

I have a pile of sun servers at home which I bought for under £100 on ebay because I needed to show some software I was writing operating on SPARC Solaris. Their purchase cost a few years previous - over £10k each. They would still be viable machines if it wasn't for their huge power consumption (my production servers are in a data centre where power is at a premium) and tiny SCSI disks.

I've no idea whether this machine is value for money or whether its power is appropriate for your needs. But I hope you enjoy it and it serves you well.

Now evaluate pi to fifty thousand decimal places. That was the first thing I did on getting my hands on a proper computer at university. :-)

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

Keith wrote:
Better not be an unknown manufacturer for the GTX's. I spent a fair amount of time searching who was better and offered the best support. So I went with eVGA

They will be getting me the cards and they are made by who you mention! Ironic but true was told that on the phone as well so I am fairly confident these are people who know what they are doing!

oddone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2011, 5:54 am

Do we get some photos of this monster when it's complete...? :D

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2011, 7:14 am

Don't see why not with putting some photos up on here I have to take some of it being unboxed as the maker does this to ensure it was properly transited to me. So yeah can put some up...

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2011, 2:04 pm

Sorry for my lack of updates. The system is on it's way to me tonight and I am really looking forward to the unpacking and setting up tomorrow morning and switching it on for the first time. At the moment it all seems a little unreal that I am getting this thing and that the very long wait for it is finally over. I also am going to get right back into my old habit of PC gaming which I have missed a lot as I've not had a machine capable to really step up to my high end gaming tasks and tomorrow that's all about to change. I will post some photos of it here in due course. I feel like a little kid and it's ironic it's coming the 1st of Dec!

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

lazuruswolf wrote:
Don't see why not with putting some photos up on here I have to take some of it being unboxed as the maker does this to ensure it was properly transited to me. So yeah can put some up...

Correction on that they are made by Asus who have also made the motherboard I think that's good enough and I have read up on them extensively and it would seem they have had a good write up on most of the reviews it was them or the brand you mentioned still it's going to be interesting times for me on the morrow.

lazuruswolf
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Dec 2011, 1:36 pm

Have had it two days now and it's a real monster!! I am so in love with it. Best £4k I have spent in my life.....:)