Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2007, 10:42 am

solid wrote:
i wanna get vista instead it luks brill and its great if u have an xbox 360 cuse u can use your controler to do some cool things

Vista does bring a "3D" desktop. The "gaming" version offers to swing some of the bloat out of the way to make room for game code, but I'm skeptical of that, especially if it means it has to drop security to do so.

I put "3D" in quotes because the desktop isn't any more 3D than before, but because the rendering system uses the 3D parts of the video card instead of the older and much-lower-performance 2D parts. There are already 3D windowing systems for Linux, so Vista is playing catch-up here.

Devin_J
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jan 2007, 8:48 pm

I recall playing Doom II on linux. All the old id software engines are open-source now, from Doom to Quake 3.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 1:50 am

andy1976uk wrote:
Flagg wrote:
If gaming is your poison and you need a stable system then FreeBSD is your best shot, if you have a great deal of computer skills that is. It can run games if you run the gauntlet getting them to run. It cannot Bootcamp but you really don't need it.

Why FreeBSD and what do you mean by running the gauntlet? :)

OSX was built from FreeBSD.

Prozium_Addict
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2007, 5:58 pm

Yes, having difficulty Alt+Tabbing out of windows is normal for the current, beta release of Boot Camp. Hitting the "windows" key and control at the same time can cause a BSOD under some circumstances, as well.

I do not (read: rarely) game on my mac laptop, and I have not invested much time at all into trying to get some games to run. But, I havent needed to, either. Games work fine on Macs.

When Boot Camp is officially released you will likely have (near) perfect support.