Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

sbourg
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Mar 2013, 12:42 am

anyone ever taken or passed it? Was it hard? Any tips on studying?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 8:23 am

I took it in 2007, and passed it. It was fairly easy, although not to the point of not having to study for it. If you worked in any desktop support position, the A+ covers pretty much everything you'd do there. For studying, get yourself two things: a large study guide book and a CD with practice exams. Then go through them over and over until you're sure you'll get a high score on the exam. Good luck.

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2013, 12:03 pm

I took it in 2004 and someone wanted me to take it again in 2011 even though I was already certified.

If you've been involved with a personal enthusiast mindset toward computing for any length of time you could likely pass it right now.
This site : ( http://www.professormesser.com ) has a lot of free information that can bring you up to speed for the A+ as well as a few other disciplines of IT.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 6:55 am

I'm currently taking the CompTIA A+ (I suspect that is what you mean by A+), only been taking it a couple of weeks so not passed it yet, my advice would be to keep looking over any study material and do some research related to the course, and perhaps look for some practice exams as suggested in another reply.

What can help also is if you have some experience with the topics covered anyway, given that I have an interest in computers to begin with and have built some of mine myself and repaired and serviced nearly all of them it puts me at an advantage, though, of course, there are things covered in the A+ that I didn't know myself.

If you are indeed taking the A+ I wish you all the best

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2013, 8:37 am

They just updated the exam in December so make sure you get the new study materials. I'm waiting until I'm closer to graduating college to take it. I've got enough to study right now.
Also, in case you don't know, as of January 2011 they are no longer lifetime certifications.

DiabloDave363
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 7:44 pm

I got it back in 2010 right before the cuttoff so it's grandfathered in. I am not technically condoning theft but I did download a torrent full of cbtnugget videos. They are really informative and my 12 hour cram-sesh is what helped me pass haha

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 11:29 pm

If you've been messing with hardware for some time, can easily build a PC from scratch, and know what you're doing and why - you'll have no problems.