21 Oct 2013, 9:34 pm

Dual boot:
Linux Mint 15
Windows Vista Pro 64bit

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 8:19 am

I actually like Windows 8.1 a lot. In particular, the design looks nice; Windows Aero in 2013 is about as pretty as those old Flash web sites.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2013, 5:24 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Windows 7.

I'm tempted to try Ubuntu at some point in time.

No not Ubuntu it is buggy, unstable and unity is a nightmare (that’s just my opinion anyway).

I'm back on Win7 now and looking around for a good Linux that fits my needs to install, but I used Ubuntu as my main OS a couple years ago and it served me well. That was before Unity though, 10.10 was probably the last I used. I went to Arch then, and may end up there again...

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm

Kurgan wrote:
I actually like Windows 8.1 a lot. In particular, the design looks nice; Windows Aero in 2013 is about as pretty as those old Flash web sites.

The lack of Aero is exactly why I'm sticking with windows 7.
Microsoft should have at least included Aero glass, as an option. They keep the 'classic' win 95 theme around, why not keep aero around?
I don't like the flat, boring look of the win 8 desktop. As a matter of fact I don't like this whole, flat, minimalist trend in graphic design that is creeping up everywhere. I prefer some depth and texture. Speaking as a graphic artist, I feel there is much less room for creativity in minimalism. Far too restrictive to design for. And it just plain looks cheap.

Diagnosed in 2005

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 12:14 pm

Both Aero and the Windows 8 UI look ugly to me and are certainly not the pinnacle of what can be done on a modern GPU.

The Windows 8 UI was done as some combination of a least common denominator that can run on low power devices and something that fits the flat look they're going for. However even low power devices have shader processors these days, especially selected ones that would run Windows RT or whatever out of the box, and the flat look is not what a lot of people including myself want. Frankly, in 2013 I'd like to see something that is fully ortho rendered with realtime shadows, specular, etc. It shouldn't be that hard.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2013, 12:19 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Windows 7.

No not Ubuntu it is buggy, unstable and unity is a nightmare (that’s just my opinion anyway).

Unity was an attempt to emulate OSes like Windows 8 that are targeted to both desktop and tablets. I think it's starting to dawn on people that they don't want the same UI on their desktop and tablet at all. I'm surprised anyone ever thought that. Just give them enough similarities that people can work it out. Cripes. There *are* some things that end users will work out. And who would want to run Ubuntu on a tablet anyway? Linux is already an abject failure on the desktop outside of enthusiast circles. There are probably roughly 0 installations in the US other than within those circles.

If they want to run something iOS-like on the desktop they can start by running every app sandboxed in a VM. I've been waiting for this for like a decade.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 4:03 am

Setup a file share with FreeNAS. Seems to work good so far.

null
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2013, 8:09 am

Mac OS X Mavericks as of about 3 hours ago. Prior to that I was using Mountain Lion. My work-supplied machine is still running Mountain Lion and will likely be for a while whilst Mavericks proves itself reliable.

iOS7 on my phone.

Debian and FreeBSD on my servers.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2013, 12:32 pm

I installed Mavericks this morning too and I can't tell the difference.

null
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2013, 8:39 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
I installed Mavericks this morning too and I can't tell the difference.

Nor can I really. Though it does fix my gripe about the menu bar only appearing on the main monitor when using multiple displays. To me that never made sense.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2013, 7:30 pm

Alexius848 wrote:
Kinme wrote:
Windows 7.

Horses for courses I have just switched back to it and find it working well.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

nosmadar2012
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2013, 10:54 am

Ubunti is Ok, just check the hardware prerequisits (sp?) first.

Kinme wrote:
Windows 7.

And choose an LTS release.
And then get it in CD ROM and test it first.
Otherwise you wind up having to ride the "update train" as versions change.

If not Ubuntu, then there's the very stable parent "Debian". Or...one of a dozen other flavors. :-)

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2013, 12:45 pm

MacBook Pro - OS X Mavericks
iMac - OS X Mavericks, Windows 7
Mac Mini - OS X Mountain Lion, CentOS 6, Windows 7

Louis

pattheaspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Dec 2013, 10:24 pm

Android 4.4 kitcat also known as Google nexus 7

NH2G
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Dec 2013, 3:55 pm

MacBook Pro: OSX 10.9
Windows 8.1
ACER Desktop: Windows 8.1
Ubuntu 12.10
Android 4.1 Intel (stopped booting)

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 6:07 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
Both Aero and the Windows 8 UI look ugly to me and are certainly not the pinnacle of what can be done on a modern GPU.

The Windows 8 UI was done as some combination of a least common denominator that can run on low power devices and something that fits the flat look they're going for. However even low power devices have shader processors these days, especially selected ones that would run Windows RT or whatever out of the box, and the flat look is not what a lot of people including myself want. Frankly, in 2013 I'd like to see something that is fully ortho rendered with realtime shadows, specular, etc. It shouldn't be that hard.

Numerous studies have been conducted on this--and almost all of them show that a lot of flashy effects are just distracting. GUIs need to look good in 2013, but they also need to retain the same simplicity found in Windows 95.

Even if you choose a flashy interface that's not 3D, it will still look ugly in half a decade. Once neon lights below the car and Buffalo shoes were considered to be good looking as well.