Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:33 am

seed means to be sharing after you've finished downloading. instead of leeching like when you're downloading, you're seeding it.

seeding and leeching affect your share ratio....i'd recommend keeping at least a 1:1 ratio if not a 1.5:1 up:down ratio.....always keep on the positive and share more than you take.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:37 am

skafather84 wrote:
seed means to be sharing after you've finished downloading. instead of leeching like when you're downloading, you're seeding it.

seeding and leeching affect your share ratio....i'd recommend keeping at least a 1:1 ratio if not a 1.5:1 up:down ratio.....always keep on the positive and share more than you take.

I have no idea how you set it up thus ^^^^ I have only just installed utorrent... So know little about it.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:50 am

Graelwyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I have no idea how you set it up thus ^^^^ I have only just installed utorrent... So know little about it.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

that page should walk you through it...if you have any additional problems....well...we're here. :)

JakeG
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 12:01 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
I have downloaded utorrent having been told by a pc guy that it torrent files are less prone to viruses than those off programmes like limewire and kazaa...is this true? I note there is no inbuilt virus scanner on utorrent, but I want to download, without risk of viruses.

Anyone else use bit torrent etc?

As a protocol bittorrent is generally safer then the big p2p networks but the actual content that you are downloading is still just as likely to contain viruses or other malware. If you are careful, you can sometimes spot the torrents that are most likely to be fake, or containing adware.

Probably the best and safest method for downloading warez is to get an account with a firm offering binary NNTP servers and download stuff from newsgroups. They are normally pretty cheap; it wasn't that long ago that if you asked nicely, BT would give you free access to their NNTP servers but they don't anymore as they have to be seen to be cracking down on illegal warez.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 2:25 am

Graelwyn wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:
you will be able to get hold of mozart& the whale now grel
:P

Probably take weeks.
I started downloading a music album and that said about 11-15 hours. :?

more seeds = more speed
more leechers = more speed

try to find the same file but with higher number of seeds/leechers

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 4:20 am

it sonly saver because it takes more effect to share something on torrents.
u can to create the torrent, submit it to sites so they can put it in their trackers, then seed it.
god... so much work. why bother unless your big into warez and crack ur own software, rip ur own dvds, etc.
also if its a virus, no1 will seed it.
but then programs like kazaa u just put the virus in ur shared dir...

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 4:23 am

computerlove wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:

Probably take weeks.

more seeds = more speed

i must argue w/ that.
say there is 1 seed, and 100 leachers, and each leacher is at about 2%, than it will be slower.
the best option is to go w/ the most seeds or where there seed to leacher ratio is higher for seeds.
but then after the leachers get to higher percentages like 80,90% then u can almost count them as a seed.
its best to find sites like tvtorrents that give a swarm speed.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 5:46 am

skafather84 wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that client side upload rates tend to be pretty
crappy, so you get penalized by your software for that factor. Is there
a torrent application which violates the normal share rules, and makes
it seem like it's uploading at a faster rate?

nitro2k01
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2007, 6:12 am

matt271 wrote:
computerlove wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
Kosmonaut wrote:

Probably take weeks.

more seeds = more speed

i must argue w/ that.
say there is 1 seed, and 100 leachers, and each leacher is at about 2%, than it will be slower.
the best option is to go w/ the most seeds or where there seed to leacher ratio is higher for seeds.
but then after the leachers get to higher percentages like 80,90% then u can almost count them as a seed.
its best to find sites like tvtorrents that give a swarm speed.
Then I must argue with you as well. The scenario you describe is common in the beginning of a torrent's life cycle. That's the beauty of BT. Instead of trying to deliver the whole file to one leecher before going on to the next leecher, the priority is to spread as many small pieces as possible to different nnodes. That way, the whole network becomes a redundant source for the whole file. Even if there are 100 leechers with 2% each these 100 leechers generally have different 2% of the file. So in a scenario with 100 leechers carrying 2% each, the swarm will sooner or later recover the files to all users if everybody stays in the swarm.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 5:02 pm

calandale wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

The unfortunate thing is that client side upload rates tend to be pretty
crappy, so you get penalized by your software for that factor. Is there
a torrent application which violates the normal share rules, and makes
it seem like it's uploading at a faster rate?

Software doesn't penalize, websites penalize

I guess you must be trying to download something hard to get, only available from private websites...

And no, I don't know, and even if I knew I wouldn't let you know *sticking out tongue*

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 4:33 pm

Bittorrent also works on Linux, another way to decrease the virus problem.

Dvora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2007, 7:15 pm

I think one thing that one needs to be cautious about when d/ling torrents (I watch current English-language TV series this way as they are not available where I live) is that one should choose unpacked stuff over packed. Sometimes the archive files have something entirely different in them than what you'd expect, and sometimes there is a password to unpacking that you may or may not be able to find.

The Game of Life? Heck it's a cellular automaton.