Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 9:42 pm

I am running Windows 7. Internet access keeps on going down. I get an error message saying "wireless adapter is not connected". If I unplug the router and replug after a short while I get the connection back up. Googling a solution is hard. Links to lots of poorly rated solutions via youtube.
Would love to know how to fix this problem.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2016, 9:53 pm

If unplugging the router, waiting and then plugging it back in resolves the problem my money would be on your router failing. Consumer grade routers have long had overheating problems that could be prevented with a £0.15 heatsink, or cases with adequate cooling. Others are simply not designed as good as they could be and lock up under loads such as streaming video.

mistersprinkles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2016, 8:58 pm

Just pick up a quality router. Don't use the low end stuff.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 10:08 pm

Bought a netgear D6000 – AC750 WiFi Modem Router(haven't set it up yet) which after reading some customer reviews I am regretting buying(should have read the reviews first). Quite a few people saying when rebooted it loses its configuration ! Being of a nervous disposition that's made me too nervous to set it up. Basically wasted £49.99.
Tempted to go with a TP-link modem router as several of the netgear 1* reviewers had said they had done this.
The TP-link ones are more expensive but perhaps you get what you pay for.

Quite frankly though I'm at a loss here as to what modem router to get .

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2016, 4:09 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Bought a netgear D6000 – AC750 WiFi Modem Router(haven't set it up yet) which after reading some customer reviews I am regretting buying(should have read the reviews first). Quite a few people saying when rebooted it loses its configuration ! Being of a nervous disposition that's made me too nervous to set it up. Basically wasted £49.99.
Tempted to go with a TP-link modem router as several of the netgear 1* reviewers had said they had done this.
The TP-link ones are more expensive but perhaps you get what you pay for.

Quite frankly though I'm at a loss here as to what modem router to get .

There was a firmware update near the end of October; from what I've found those users who lost configuration settings updated their firmware and then did not follow the instructions and perform a cold reboot (disconnect power, wait, reconnect power) after the update process was completed &/or reset to factory defaults. With certain models Netgear recommends saving your settings to a file (there is a management screen for this), upgrading the firmware, doing a cold reboot, reset to factory defaults, then re-upload your settings. Bit of a pita, imo, just to update the firmware. Note that not all models require this, though.

I've not had the greatest luck with Netgear consumer models, but usually even their worst often works "good enough" if there is alternate firmware available. For my family I usually buy pro access points second-hand. Not as many fancy features (that I really don't want) but they tend to be rock solid & have nice radios. I have had better luck with D-Link than Netgear as far as consumer models go. Cisco/Linksys has been hit or miss; usually nice hardware but they occasionally really mess up like with the "cloud" models. Same with TP-Link; hit or miss. That's pretty much the case with all such routers/wifi access points. My advice would be pick a price range then find the model that does not appear to have obvious defects as revealed by ratings reviews from several sites like NewEgg and Amazon, and maybe online forums. Just be aware that all home routers tend to have some shortcomings or bad models with problematic designs but if you avoid those they will likely work great for years and you don't have to spend too much if you just want basic functionality.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 4:21 pm

Sometimes problems can arise from weather causing interference.

Other problems can be if you are living near others, and other people are either using your broadband or others are using the same channel and frequency.

Other problems can also be caused by things such as microwaves or reflective solid materials obstructing (and reflecting) your wifi signal.

I also recently had major problems because the old telephone wiring was exposed and worn.
The local ISP / phone network provider sent around an engineer and put in some new wiring.

One other problem can also be caused by the settings that your broadband is on from the ISP.
As sometimes there can be compatibility problems with the bandwidth the isp has chosen in their settings and your wiring.

Hope this helps

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

The problem seemed to coincide with installing a sound booster. I uninstalled the Breakway audio enhancer and so far no problems (Been about 5 days).

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 6:04 pm

Glad you found the cause - what clued you into it being due to installed *software*?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 7:25 am

Edenthiel wrote:
Glad you found the cause - what clued you into it being due to installed *software*?

Basically someone asking me if I had installed any Windows updates or new software around the time it happened. The updates were checked as ok and that left the audio enhancer. I worked out the connection problems coincided with its installation. It was then a case of uninstalling and hoping.

I confess I am puzzled as to why the audio enhancer would have caused the problem.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

Nice detective work! Breakaway has a kernel mode driver and a user mode application - neither have anything to do with networking. Unless...are you using Breakaway Broadcast or any other such versions that stream audio to other devices?