Unimpressed by UTMS (W-CDMA) 3g network reception

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

bjmax31
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2007, 9:28 am

Way back in the 80's it all began with AMPS, you could make a call practally anywhere.
Garanteed it would not drop out. Even in large concrete walls the call would get static and it would not completly drop out And the range was superb! 1987 GSM came out It was not too bad but. As the signal gets weaker the call is more likely to drop out. And that horrible buzzing noise (RF) if your phone is near the speaker!! ! Incomming call or SMS or even just a simple tower handoff!! ! The most distant towers are the 850mhz ones. CDMA Has a longer range than Gsm, But most of the handsets were rather ordinary, after all CDMA was good for the rural areas where gsm could not reach. And now comes UTMS (3g) and now HSDPA (3.5g) great for wirless broadband don't get me wrong But from my experience using it I get shocking signal (1 to 2 bars) and my house is only made of weather board!! ! Why can't they focus on the current networks (gsm). Keep the Now aging Gprs, have it running with EDGE. And rather than replace CDMA update that too!
with something similar. It will save he telcos alot of money if they just update their current Networks rather than roll out completely new networks.

my 2 cents :wink:

xanadu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2007, 10:52 am

My first phone was a GSM device so I can't talk about anything that came before, but I have to admit that the cell sizes have been slowly degrading ever since where I live too. It didn't have any effect on the number of bars though - they are almost always at full wherever I go (which is mostly urban areas). But in my opinion the smaller cell sizes nowadays are a good thing - smaller sized cells require less radiation and some people's fear of it might hasten adoption of new technologies. Also, when the next antenna is nearer, shouldn't UMTS devices require less output and thus, less power? That's definitely not something I can confirm, but who knows, if current phones with all their features needed to communicate with an AMPS antenna far away they might be even more power-hungry?