Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2024, 5:47 am

The late, lamented L1011 Tristar.

SGHFan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jun 2024, 9:12 pm

I'm flying on a Boeing 757 tomorrow, my favorite narrowbody jet due to how overpowered it is!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2024, 11:30 pm

Have a safe trip please.. :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2024, 8:38 pm

If you're a true connoisseur of vintage jet age air travel then you need to fly "Air Koryu"...the national airline of North Korea. Even Russia itself no longer flies these Soviet era passenger planes. Not just old models...these are actual fifty year old planes.

https://youtu.be/8zLXw7SQvAk

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2024, 9:23 pm

I like the British WWI Sopworth. It looks like a peapod with wings.

mgurak
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2024, 1:11 am

I'm going to have to go a little different here and say the Lockheed C-130J Super Hercules, aka The Herky Bird. Pretty much if you can get it in the cargo hold, it will fly it. That thing is HUGE!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 4:22 am

Stanley number 5 is good, but any from the Stanley range will do.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2024, 2:27 pm

idk recall who made the C-7 , but it is a giant .......Then there is the Super Guppy ( aka Pregnant Guppy)
is used for transporting rocket booster components after being built .For Space Missions.

mgurak

09 Jul 2024, 2:12 am

Jakki wrote:
idk recall who made the C-7 , but it is a giant .......Then there is the Super Guppy ( aka Pregnant Guppy)
is used for transporting rocket booster components after being built .For Space Missions.

Looks like that was Aero Spaceline Industries, according to the NASA site. Not too many were made. But then, I guess you wouldn't need too many anyway.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 2:34 am

My daughter's special interest is commercial airlines
her favourite

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 9:06 am

regarding the above.... :D :D :D :D ..She has good taste :mrgreen:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2024, 9:12 am

mgurak wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Looks like that was Aero Spaceline Industries, according to the NASA site. Not too many were made. But then, I guess you wouldn't need too many anyway.

regarding the Super Guppy ..My Last husbands , friend whom he worked with for many years in the Aerospace Industry
Was quoted on several times saying , " He was the one who got the Guppy pregnant" ....Inside joke in the Aerospace Industry . He was one of the Structural Engineers that actually assembled the Monster plane . :nerdy:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 8:25 am

Jakki wrote:
mgurak wrote:
Jakki wrote:

regarding the Super Guppy ..My Last husbands , friend whom he worked with for many years in the Aerospace Industry
Was quoted on several times saying , " He was the one who got the Guppy pregnant" ....Inside joke in the Aerospace Industry . He was one of the Structural Engineers that actually assembled the Monster plane . :nerdy:

Yes. The Guppy and Super Guppy were actually variants of variants that trace back to the B29 Flying Fortress bomber of WWII. Some airplanes spawn variants and variants of variants that form a family tree. And the Flying Fortress was notable for it variety of variants...the skinny narrow bodied original spawned the incredibly fat "Guppies" as civilian cargo descendants.

One Fortress bombing Japan in WWII was forced to land in Soviet Russia. We eventually got it and its crew back, but not after Stalin forced his engineers to reverse engineer it for himself. The result was a near perfect Soviet clone of our B29 dubbed by NATO the "Bull Bomber". The first Russian strategic bomber. Trouble is it was already the jet age when the USSR started putting it out in production (and showing it off at airshows). But this Russian variant itself spawned a Russian civilian variant: a passenger plane variant for Aeroflot Airlines. So the B29 had a Russian family tree in addition to it American progeny.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 11:37 am

Just to nitpick, Superfortress, not Flying Fortress. Flying Fortress was the B-17.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 2:49 pm

Darn! :oops:
I knew that! :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2024, 10:54 pm

I'm pretty fond of the Douglas A-4, especially the later (A-4F and onward) models with the dorsal hump.

The proposed enlarged A4D-6 has been a major influence on one of my designs of a game I used to play.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell