Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bigbadbeast2007
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2011, 6:15 am

why does has australia have the worlds worst broadband. Here down under. slow internet with ridiculous download limits unlike the rest of the world why? I am paying 40 dollars for 8g lousy gb for slow 3G internet :evil:

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 5:37 pm

Two things come to mind,

Firstly I live in regional Victoria and I have access to 100M/bit if I want to use it, presently I am on a 30M/bit plan giving me 60GB of data for A$60 which I feel is not too bad

Secondly provided the ludites in from the Liberal Party (Right wing conservatives, how they ever got the name Liberal is beyond me) do not get into power, we will have a telecommunications system second to non within about 8 years.

Australia is a country barely smaller than the US with less than 10% of the the US population, so from my point of view the planned National Broadband Network is nothing short of extraordinary.

Oh and a third thought just popped in, telstra have just announced the roll-out of 4G http://www.cnet.com.au/telstra-next-g-to-be-4g-in-2011-339309202.htm

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Two things come to mind,

Firstly I live in regional Victoria and I have access to 100M/bit if I want to use it, presently I am on a 30M/bit plan giving me 60GB of data for A$60 which I feel is not too bad

100 down and 10 (or even 1 up?)?
How much is that? And I assume it isn't unlimited either..

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

Telstra is most expensive ISP in Australia.
I have wireless and it costs $29.95 for 200mb and i have adsl and its about $79.95

day light robbery.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:31 pm

Should it really cost that much for internet in Australia? No. I don't live there, but I really do think Internet should be cheap.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 9:44 pm

NZ and australia have the stupidest and most expensive internet rates ive ever seen.

In the US I pay 45 bucks a month for 15mbit unlimited data.

In NZ I had to pay 60 bucks for 1 gig a month @ 2mbit speed.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 11:38 pm

Dantac wrote:
NZ and australia have the stupidest and most expensive internet rates ive ever seen.

In the US I pay 45 bucks a month for 15mbit unlimited data.

In NZ I had to pay 60 bucks for 1 gig a month @ 2mbit speed.

They got it even worse that in Canada. 8O
Which is rather impressive... :roll: (Then again the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission plan to make it worse. )

Tremere
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2011, 5:40 am

Its not in line with the rest of the world but as of late we are doing pretty well. I heard this week it costs $35 per mbit/s to haul data from Australia to the rest of the world, which is most of our internet usage. Do the math. (It used to be several thousand per mbit/s!)

If you're stuck using a wireless connection as your primary internet access, that does kinda suck.

Mind you I'd rather pay for X GB of data rather than an unlimited ISP which tries to throttle BitTorrent/VoIP/stuff they don't like and has stupidly high contention ratios :!:
One network engineer mentioned to me a US vendor which sold DSL headend gear in the US which didn't even have a fast enough input for a single ADSL2 port :lol:

Most attempts at unlimited internet here in the past have been shot down by consumers who wouldn't put up with it.. TPG seem to have mixed success with theirs (but they've always had mixed success..)

And we have real competition in the ISP market rather than cableco+telco monopoly.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:39 am

In College I can download a hundred and twenty megs in one minute :D

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:01 pm

I am in California, USA in a Rural area were the only broadband is Satellite internet or 3G. I have Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go 3G I am paying $40 for 5GB then after that throttle. At home I can barely get it to do above 100Kbps during the day alot of times. The landline service is only Dial-up 46.6Kbps

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 6:54 pm

I pay £18 a month for 13.5MBps down and 0.8MBps up. It's actually meant to be 24MBps but we never get that.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 5:25 am

I have a $69 plan with iPrimus, ADSL2+, 20/1, 60GB download limit/month. It's suitable for me, even if I only end up using about 10GB of my downloads each months now since I've seemed to cut back on my online gaming.

Seriously, if you live in Australia, it pays to shop around for a good ISP. Here's a good tool to help you find a decent ISP in Australia: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Mar 2011, 8:16 am

I hate that Telstra owns and monopolizes the internet towers, but Its worse when most places I live in, around the western suburbs of Melb. that unless I get wireless I can't get the net at all...and wireless is expensive!

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:33 am

£30~ for 17meg down 2.3 up, im paying more for no thottling. All the large communication companies thottle speeds now, so i went for one that caters for heavy users; im close to 350gig a month download. Also needed the baud for gaming.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:37 pm

Download is fine at about 16Mb/s, but upload is horrible. It never goes above 0.3Mb/s. Although there are no upload/download limits, the slow upload is really a bottleneck for online gaming. If there was a way to increase it I would, but nope, Time Warner Cable sucks. We should really all be using fiber optics right now, in the past 10 years computer speeds have improved a whole lot, but bandwidth has hardly changed.

Mindtear
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:42 pm

SammichEater wrote:
Download is fine at about 16Mb/s, but upload is horrible. It never goes above 0.3Mb/s. Although there are no upload/download limits, the slow upload is really a bottleneck for online gaming. If there was a way to increase it I would, but nope, Time Warner Cable sucks. We should really all be using fiber optics right now, in the past 10 years computer speeds have improved a whole lot, but bandwidth has hardly changed.

It took BT(UKs main phone supplier) 7 years to install broadband after the Netherlands got it, those dutchies were zooming about at supersonic speeds while we were rubberbanding all over the map :evil: .