Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 8:09 pm

I read they were doing this somewhere, can't even remember where.
Years ago, I would have scoffed that off, but now I'm creeped out by it. It was said they could do it without turning the light on, so you would never even know.

(They're probably turning to each other right now going, OMG SHe's ON TO US!") :)

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

Put a piece of tape over your web cam, either that or dance seductively and see if you get asked out on a date! =D

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:49 pm

They are not watching me unless they can see through three layers of duct tape. I don't know about the drone insects flying around outside my window or buzzing my lampshades.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 10:58 pm

Surely they would have much better (and more important) things to do with their time, money and resources, which are by no means unlimited.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm

They're only looking at each person's webcam long enough to get video of him w*king, or picking his nose or something else embarrassing. Then they file that and move on. In the future, whenever there's a politician or journalist or somebody they want to discredit, they'll release a couple choice videos to YouTube and the press, and we'll never look at that person the same way again.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 7:24 am

1401b wrote:
or dance seductively and see if you get asked out on a date! =D

Best idea! :D

onechordbassist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Mar 2014, 4:13 am

Occams Razor is my weapon of choice. Sure they're able to pull it off but it's far too much effort for far too little gain. Having an entire department watch hundreds of million people jacking off and mooning the cam while dressing is simply uneconomic. Also wouldn't terrorists suspect their webcams in the first place (paranoid as they are) and thus not act suspiciously in any room in which a webcam is installed?

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 12:11 pm

onechordbassist wrote:
Occams Razor is my weapon of choice. Sure they're able to pull it off but it's far too much effort for far too little gain. Having an entire department watch hundreds of million people jacking off and mooning the cam while dressing is simply uneconomic. Also wouldn't terrorists suspect their webcams in the first place (paranoid as they are) and thus not act suspiciously in any room in which a webcam is installed?

But they wouldn't seriously have people monitoring us, it would be computers doing it.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 1:54 pm

I rarely wear clothes when I'm on my computer (Or any time I don't have to walk outside for that matter) So unless they like seeing a half-naked 18 year old guy I think I'm probably safe.

Author/Writer

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 4:57 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/f ... rnet-yahoo

Quote:
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery – including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.

Yahoo reacted furiously to the webcam interception when approached by the Guardian. The company denied any prior knowledge of the program, accusing the agencies of "a whole new level of violation of our users' privacy".

GCHQ does not have the technical means to make sure no images of UK or US citizens are collected and stored by the system, and there are no restrictions under UK law to prevent Americans' images being accessed by British analysts without an individual warrant.

The documents also chronicle GCHQ's sustained struggle to keep the large store of sexually explicit imagery collected by Optic Nerve away from the eyes of its staff, though there is little discussion about the privacy implications of storing this material in the first place.
NSA ragout 4

(continues...)

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

You should keep your webcam covered up. Mine is always covered.

thumbhole
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2016, 9:24 am

The best way to cover a Macbook webcam in a stylish fashion is as follows:

Get some black PVC sticky tape.

Stick a piece of the tape onto some silicone coated backing paper (of the kind on which stickers are supplied).

Get a hole punch and cut out some little round holes from the black tape once you have applied it to the backing paper.

Now peel off one of the little black stickers you just made, and stick it over your webcam.

Voilà.

Now nobody is watching (or if they are, all they're seeing is black).

This method would work for any in-built webcam with a lens roughly the same size as the circles produced by a hole punch.

It looks much neater than just sticking an untidy piece of paper or a messy strip of tape over your camera (and, of course, you can use any colour tape you want. You don't have to use black).

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 7:25 pm

wozeree wrote:
I read they were doing this somewhere, can't even remember where.
Years ago, I would have scoffed that off, but now I'm creeped out by it. It was said they could do it without turning the light on, so you would never even know.

(They're probably turning to each other right now going, OMG SHe's ON TO US!") :)

Keep your web cams in a black bag and if you are really paranoid, disconnect it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:27 am

Either stick a wad of chewing gum on that little thing.

Or...just dont ever bow to Mecca in prayer while in front of your Mac, or PC, :lol: ! !! !

Last edited by naturalplastic on 13 Sep 2016, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2016, 5:38 am

Even when you tape up your webcam, they can still listen to you, read what you type, view your desktop, and best yet: they can still see you and your movements through your wifi.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:44 am

How can they see you with out a lens and aperture?