Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Zeusie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

markitzero wrote:
At home I can barely get it to do above 100Kbps during the day alot of times. The landline service is only Dial-up 46.6Kbps

epic fail dial-up..... :D

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm

bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
why does has australia have the worlds worst broadband. Here down under. slow internet with ridiculous download limits unlike the rest of the world why? I am paying 40 dollars for 8g lousy gb for slow 3G internet :evil:

if it makes you feel better when I was in NZ about a year ago I had to pay around 60 NZD for 2gb a month on a 3G that barely hit 1mbit speed.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 5:39 am

Dantac wrote:
bigbadbeast2007 wrote:
why does has australia have the worlds worst broadband. Here down under. slow internet with ridiculous download limits unlike the rest of the world why? I am paying 40 dollars for 8g lousy gb for slow 3G internet :evil:

if it makes you feel better when I was in NZ about a year ago I had to pay around 60 NZD for 2gb a month on a 3G that barely hit 1mbit speed.

Again I dont get it, as I said before 60 bucks I gets me 30 mega bit/s down and 2 up and the limit has just been increased to 100gig, my mobile is unlimited national calls, unlimited, sms, and 3 gig data for 60 bucks complete with a samsung nexus s. if you use telstra then you are a either a fool or you live out in the boondocks.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 9:57 am

I think its because there is little competition and a sort of monopoly on telecoms in AUS/NZ ... here in the US I pay 42 USD for unlimited data at 15mbit speed.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

Dantac wrote:
I think its because there is little competition and a sort of monopoly on telecoms in AUS/NZ ... here in the US I pay 42 USD for unlimited data at 15mbit speed.

so yours is similar to mine i get twice the speed for a little more cash and 100gig is effectively unlimited. Which kinda proves my point Aussie broadband is not that bad. For those whining ; shop around

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 5:17 am

SammichEater wrote:
Download is fine at about 16Mb/s, but upload is horrible. It never goes above 0.3Mb/s. Although there are no upload/download limits, the slow upload is really a bottleneck for online gaming. If there was a way to increase it I would, but nope, Time Warner Cable sucks. We should really all be using fiber optics right now, in the past 10 years computer speeds have improved a whole lot, but bandwidth has hardly changed.

You think Time Warner Cable sucks? You haven't lived until you have had to deal with Comcast or Verizon (aka Autism Speaks Lite and Hellzarisin')

At least you're not in France, where, as far as I can tell, they still use Minitel.

Paul92
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2013, 3:41 pm

is the internet in Australia really that bad?

In NZ, several years ago, the internet was probably one of the worst in the world.
Only ADSL1, and probably the most expensive, and Data caps were so little, like 1gb
However since, we've come a long way, in only the past 5 years ADSL2+ is the standard now, we also have VDSL2. and the government is now are in the process of installing Fibre optics cable in the street, which will eventually connect to people's houses.
Some area, have already gone live on Fibre, and data caps have been climbing, other ISPs offer unlimited internet, even over Fiber, for realitlvly cheap.

Although the situation is improving, we rely on a single fibre optical cable, and only a for international bandwith, between Australia, NZ, and USA and that's a bit of a bottleneck, and probably why even on a VDSL2 plan, I have to put up with a lot of buffering, when I try to stream in some TV from other parts of the world.

I'm surpised, that Australia's internet, is as bad as you say, as oceanic powerhouse, pretty much the USA of oceania, and with several fibre links coming into Australia, one would think internet would be better, and affordable!