Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:11 am

I have a 1939 Zenith 7S629 that I bought in 1990 from the original owner, who bought it in New York City when he was a young man. It's in nearly perfect shape, still has several OEM tubes and when I got it it still had the original cardboard back, but that disintegrated pretty quickly. The pushbuttons list NYC stations. The guy had wanted to give it to his kids, but he was afraid they wouldn't respect it, so he sold it to me. It hasn't been plugged in since 1995, I bet it needs a few caps.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 5:15 am

Telefunkenfan wrote:
ahhh I may be able to help if you still want a Telefunken radio..I must as though: what decade do you prefer? I can't promise a Rundfunk from the war but I certainly know where to go.

Well, I'd certainly like a Telefunken tube, I'm not sure I have one, as well as other postwar German tubes, NOS in the original box of course. My main interest in German radios was mainly postwar, after they finally got their industry back up and running. I don't know if you're into Telefunken transistor radios, but I'd like one from the 60s. I'd like a 1950s Telefunken tube radio too, labeled in German. I don't have much money right now, maybe in a few months?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 6:16 am

in 1982 i was in a definitive hifi store in north seattle, where a pair of huge [room divider size] magnaplanar tympani III speakers were being driven by 2 monoblock triode class-A amps of 50 watts each, to barely above background music levels [the tympanis were notoriously inefficient]- as an aside, the room was swelteringly hot due to the massive heat given off by these amps [driven to the max by the power-sucking maggies], each of which were about the size of a large window air conditioner. but what sound pressure level there was, was informed by the most magisterial and pristine sound i had ever had the good fortune to hear with my own two ears. the famous SET sound was clear yet warm. this was one of the only times that i swear i could hear what the amplification itself sounded like [or more precisely, how little it colored the music, in this case a direct-to-disc recording of a bach organ piece], separate from the speaker sound quality which was a benign overlay, akin to the effect of a [speaker] grille cover. it was so clear, that i could hear each component element's sound quality [i.e., amp, speaker, room, phonograph recording quality, turntable/tonearm quality, phono cartridge quality] simultaneously differentiated/delineated in mid-air. interestingly, the phonograph surface noise seemed to hover mid-room like an almost palpable cloud. the whole setup cost more than a house, btw- the monoblocks, the tympani speakers, the wires, the dedicated filtered power supplies, the room acoustic treatment et al. some doctor was there and bought the whole kit and kaboodle upon first listening. i remember being very envious of him, the lucky so-and-so. but that one listening convinced me that [class-A] tube amps have the best sound of anything i'd heard before or since.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

pezar wrote:
Telefunkenfan wrote:
ahhh I may be able to help if you still want a Telefunken radio..I must as though: what decade do you prefer? I can't promise a Rundfunk from the war but I certainly know where to go.

Well, I'd certainly like a Telefunken tube, I'm not sure I have one, as well as other postwar German tubes, NOS in the original box of course. My main interest in German radios was mainly postwar, after they finally got their industry back up and running. I don't know if you're into Telefunken transistor radios, but I'd like one from the 60s. I'd like a 1950s Telefunken tube radio too, labeled in German. I don't have much money right now, maybe in a few months?

see the thing is I may not ask for money..sometimes parts or info can be very valuable..I myself collect Vacuum tube test equipment and having a pair of eyes can be very beneficial. as a matter of fact right now I am hunting a Hickok CA-4 adapter. finding one for less than 150 dollars can go a long way to have a found Telefunken and at no cost to the finder but rather to the finders benefit help me and I'll help you.

But I digress I came here to find other tube techs like myself. but let me ask you folks here:Is there anyone else out there/here working to make more tubes?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2011, 10:45 pm

I think tube televisions are crap. Even the high definition ones use 1080i interlacing and I hate interlacing because it flickers like a strobe light.

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

I have an old 3M-Wollensak T-1500 Reel-to-Reel Tube Tape Recorder from 1962. I have some reels for it though I haven't played any tapes on it as I haven't cleaned the heads and drive wheels, though it sounds good with external devices plugged into it. I have a question. Do all tube Amps put out sound for a few seconds after they've been turned off if the sound source is still playing when the amp is turned off? I have a '70s Stereo 8-/Amp combination that uses transistors and that puts out sound for a second or two after the powers been switched off.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Sep 2011, 9:45 pm

greengeek wrote:
I have an old 3M-Wollensak T-1500 Reel-to-Reel Tube Tape Recorder from 1962. I have some reels for it though I haven't played any tapes on it as I haven't cleaned the heads and drive wheels, though it sounds good with external devices plugged into it. I have a question. Do all tube Amps put out sound for a few seconds after they've been turned off if the sound source is still playing when the amp is turned off? I have a '70s Stereo 8-/Amp combination that uses transistors and that puts out sound for a second or two after the powers been switched off.

if the filter and other capacitors are good then yes. the capacitors tolerances on some sets where generously designed and thus you will get a few seconds of playing although it will taper off. it also ties into the cathodes getting too cold to emit electron sufficiently. only a few tubes didn't use a heated cathode to work and none ( as far as I know) where amplifier tubes.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
I think tube televisions are crap. Even the high definition ones use 1080i interlacing and I hate interlacing because it flickers like a strobe light.

I prefer my Sony CRT-HDTV for video games, but I usually watch movies on a larger plasma HDTV.