29 May 2012, 12:06 pm

Fogman wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Burzum wrote:
Quote:
Linux is more secure

rm -rf --no-preserve-root /

Where is your secureness now? :twisted:
But first, grasshopper, you must become root...
Which is accomplished by prefixing the above line with either su or sudo and entering your root pw with the former. or your login pw with the latter.
In which case what's suggested has nothing to do with security and everything to do with deliberately trashing the OS using the root permissions already available.
"Security" (or rather, a lack of it) might be a case where it was possible to destroy the OS without those permissions - ie, user not in sudoers or didn't know the root password.

What's described as a security issue is similar to blaming the manufacturer of a car because nothing prevented the driver from deliberately steering over a cliff.
Or perhaps: "He who plays with root eventually kills tree".

[Edited for clarity]

Last edited by Cornflake on 30 May 2012, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 3:48 pm

I find it odd that anyone voted for "I only use it because of its compatibility". So far as I know, Microsoft have never produced anything that has been compatible with anything else... even with their own stuff. As if they would do such a silly thing! They would much rather force you to buy a newly downgraded version of their OS, word processor, database, etc.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 4:08 pm

I love Linux. At first I felt lost without Windows, and only recently found ways to use some of my favorite Windows based software. Once I got Paintshop Pro (the older version I prefer) to work in Wine, I decided I no longer needed a dual boot setup. Windows-free and loving it. :lol: YAY!

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 29 May 2012, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 4:17 pm

lau wrote:
They would much rather force you to buy a newly downgraded version of their OS, word processor, database, etc.

I helped a guy setup his laptop, and noticed that MS Office Demo that laptops used to come bundled with is no longer demoware, but now functions as a limited 'Home and Student' version. I think that they realised that OO and Libre Office were were eating into their market share in Office software. --Still though I think that OO or Libre Office is still better than the horrible thing that MS Office has mutated into.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 5:40 pm

Rylan wrote:
Linux is 10 times better, faster to boot, more secure from viruses, more easy to use, no rubbish needlessly installed

CHOOSE LINUX!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Rylan

AGREED!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 May 2012, 5:53 pm

I would disagree with Linux being easier to use. Yes, it has gotten better in resent years, but if you took a Windows user and game them a Linux machine, there would be more than a little confusion.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 7:00 pm

I really have nothing against Windows 7. It's mighty impressive that Microsoft has managed to make a rather advanced OS highly stable and the fact that it runs smoothly on ancient hardware is even more impressive.

The only thing that's wrong with it, is that it sometimes installs updates and revoots without my consent and that it's not backward compatible with MS DOS based Windows versions.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

29 May 2012, 7:53 pm

Kumorigoe wrote:
if you took a Windows user and game them a Linux machine, there would be more than a little confusion.
Well of course - just like would happen if you gave them a Mac: there would be more than a little confusion because neither of them is Windows.

And "easier to use"?
You mean it's easier to click on "File|Save" in Windows than it is in Linux? Maybe Windows has a telepathic interface which saves users from bothering to learn where the options are and what they do? :?

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2012, 8:40 pm

I have to share some of the points made on this topic that developers cater for windows because it is the industry and consumer standard. I have tried Ubuntu, Arch, Freebsd and I still seem to return to windows.

Now the question that might tip in favour of linux and osx will be the release of windows 8, Microsoft are trying to create a platform that is standard across desktops, tablets, smartphones, consoles etc, so whatever combination you have it will look the same, you have an avatar(account) you can download apps, demos, movies etc. This is what I see.

The problem is that most people like me, like the desktop which we have been used too, apps should be for tablets and smartphones only.

So I think that people will adopt a platform which will continue the long tradition of desktops.

We have to decide to embrace to turn the other way with windows 8

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 8:54 pm

Cornflake wrote:
And "easier to use"?
You mean it's easier to click on "File|Save" in Windows than it is in Linux? Maybe Windows has a telepathic interface which saves users from bothering to learn where the options are and what they do? :?

Linux is just as easy to use when it is working properly. But I've found that inevitably little (or not so little) bugs creep up (probably doesn't help that I'm using a beta version of a desktop environment) and they can be a frig to fix.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 May 2012, 7:04 am

AstroGeek wrote:
I've found that inevitably little (or not so little) bugs creep up (probably doesn't help that I'm using a beta version of a desktop environment) and they can be a frig to fix.
Ah well - that's the price paid for living on the sharp edge of the development, where things tend to flake off easily. :wink:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 8:43 am

Kumorigoe wrote:
I don't think any one OS is intrinsically better than another. Mac OSX isn't "better" for creating content. They just have better marketing. It's all about perception. The perception nowadays is that Macs are for artists, Linux machines are for experts, and Windows machines are for novices who love to get viruses.

Wrong. Operating-system relativism is not true. If I started writing an operating system, assuming it's for your computer's architecture, it would be extremely unlikely to be fully featured in any sense of the word. The only benefit it would have is to satisfy my own curiosity by learning more about kernel development and how computer software works at a very low level.

FreeDOS, or worse MS-DOS 6.22, probably wouldn't be of very much use to you unless you were running some limited-resource embedded system or needed a DOS virtual machine to run some classic game.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 9:28 am

Cornflake wrote:
Kumorigoe wrote:
if you took a Windows user and game them a Linux machine, there would be more than a little confusion.
Well of course - just like would happen if you gave them a Mac: there would be more than a little confusion because neither of them is Windows.

And "easier to use"?

In my experience as a Windows application developer (of nearly thirty years) end users come in all shapes and sizes and vary in intelligence between Einstein and a cabbage. I get emails from people wanting more advanced features and emails from others complaining the same application it is too complex to understand.

A large part of it seems to me that the newer generations of computer users aren't like us oldies who studied and/or worked I.T. or had a passionate hobby interest in computers. The newer generations of computer users tend to not be interested in any technical aspects. They just want to be able to browse facebook, do some online shopping and swap messages with their friends. Which is fair enough, horses for courses.

However, I think a lot current computer users nowadays have the attention span and intelligence of a carrot. Based on some of the support requests I get, I swear that if you gave some people an interface that only had a single big button on it saying "CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SAVE YOUR FILE" they would still contact me asking what to do or what a file was! I'm not exaggerating either. I've received some god-awful questions over the years. The biggest problem is that people simply don't read what is in front of them. Help files are generally a waste of time too. I always produce clear help documentation with software but often get queries that are answered in the help. I see the same thing on this site. There is a FAQ that nobody reads, they always create a new thread asking the same damn questions! :lol:

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 10:08 am

Cornflake wrote:
In which case what's suggested has nothing to do with security and everything to do with deliberately trashing the OS using the root permissions already available.
"Security" (or rather, a lack of it) might be a case where it was possible to destroy the OS without those permissions - ie, user not in sudoers or didn't know the root password.

What's described as a security issue is similar to blaming the manufacturer of a car because nothing prevented the driver from deliberately steering over a cliff.
Or perhaps: "He who plays with root eventually kills tree".

It was intended as a joke... Just so you guys know :wink:

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 10:29 am

The worst thing you can do on windows computers is run apple applications on it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 May 2012, 11:26 am

TallyMan wrote:
However, I think a lot current computer users nowadays have the attention span and intelligence of a carrot. Based on some of the support requests I get, I swear that if you gave some people an interface that only had a single big button on it saying "CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SAVE YOUR FILE" they would still contact me asking what to do or what a file was! I'm not exaggerating either. I've received some god-awful questions over the years. The biggest problem is that people simply don't read what is in front of them. Help files are generally a waste of time too. I always produce clear help documentation with software but often get queries that are answered in the help. I see the same thing on this site. There is a FAQ that nobody reads, they always create a new thread asking the same damn questions! :lol:
Sad but true.
I support my sister and her PC (Fista, spit) on which she does the finances for her sons' plumbing company.
It's an odd and sorrowing thing: she is certainly not stupid but I have to wonder what goes on when a dialog saying "Do you want to start the backup now? [Yes] [No]" makes her ask me "So what do I do now?"
I always feel like I'm being sarky when I say to her "So... do you want to start the backup now or not?" :roll:

We've been through this several times and I've compiled a step-by-step list of things to do (for this commercial software, loaded with copious and unread help files and demos) to get a backup done: plug in USB stick, watch for the "Drive is now ready" message, click on File|Backup etc etc and yet despite having her successfully go through this - she asks instead.

So I tend to chuckle cynically when "It's easier to use" chatter comes up - especially when practically everything yer average user sees these days is all stab-n-click stuff.
Just how difficult is it to point and dribble, sorry; click on some action?

The OS is irrelevant: it's the user who is not "easy to use".