Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sliqua-jcooter
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 8:32 am

mkt wrote:
Hi I am really interested to know how you all cope with a constant need to replace current technology with the constantly new versions appearing. My 15 yr old aspie never goes more than 4-6 months before he is unhappy with perfectly good and current technology because he is desperate to have the newest and best technology. It's causing a great deal of distress both for him and us his parents. Don't get me wrong he loves old school too but it is impossible to keep up with his demands!! ! I would love some advice if possible on how to get him to see how he can't possibly have it all. All of the time. :( Thanks in advance!!

Make him pay for it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 9:30 am

Make a distinction between being obsessed by technology and being obsessed with gadgetry.

To enjoy the fruits of improving technology it is not necessary to stand in line for hours to buy the latest electronic do-dad.

ruveyn

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2012, 7:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
I am totally obsessed with technology from computers to tvs. It takes over my life and I have tried to deal with it, but no luck, so who else here has the same problem and would like to share?

I am more impressed with the underlying thinking and conceptualization that produces the technology than the gadgets themselves. I enjoy a cleverly constructed gadget as much as the next dweeb or nerd, but I am very impressed with the kind of thinking that leads to the gadgets -- from the underlying physical theory to the engineering smarts that made the product.

I think scientists and engineers are the best kinds of humans that have ever existed. I admire them much more than I admire politicians and statesmen and even soldiers. A very smart engineer may make it unnecessary for a heroic soldier to risk his life on the battle field.

ruveyn

VERY well said!! !
I share your opinion exactly.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2012, 12:47 am

ruveyn wrote:
40djbrooks wrote:
I am totally obsessed with technology from computers to tvs. It takes over my life and I have tried to deal with it, but no luck, so who else here has the same problem and would like to share?

I am more impressed with the underlying thinking and conceptualization that produces the technology than the gadgets themselves. I enjoy a cleverly constructed gadget as much as the next dweeb or nerd, but I am very impressed with the kind of thinking that leads to the gadgets -- from the underlying physical theory to the engineering smarts that made the product.

I think scientists and engineers are the best kinds of humans that have ever existed. I admire them much more than I admire politicians and statesmen and even soldiers. A very smart engineer may make it unnecessary for a heroic soldier to risk his life on the battle field.

ruveyn

Science allowed us to understand fractals, now we have antenna in all of our super phones that can carry multple bands in a tiny package.

Moores Law and the forever shrinking IC. Now we all tote around tablets and superphones they couldn't even dream of in the 90's nevermind the 40's or the 50's

Teleporting qubits using quantum entanglement, which will allow us to communicate instantly to any point in the universe.

Transhumanism and biohacking.

Robotics and A.I. We already have bots that are smart enough to learn and interact with their environment, play instruments, obsticle avoidance, voice/face recognition, run up and down stairs... some faster than the fastest human alive. They will be a saleabe product one day very soon. I want mine to be a cross between Rosy from the Jetsons and the Terminator......

I totally geek out on this stuff daily. I wish I had money... I would probably be a danger to myself and others, but if I had money I'd have more tech.

I like daydreaming? about taking two or more disparate pieces of tech and pairing them all together to build something amazing. IE: Installing brushless hub motors battery bank and inverters on a holiday trailer/fifthwheel that spends a lot of time travelling in the mountains. On tough climbs it sucks getting stuck behind holiday trailers, I thought it would be cool to use the hub motors as helper motors to help get the trailer over the mountain faster. Use regen braking on the downhill side. Get to where you are going with a full battery bank allowing you to be off-grid without using a gas generator.

Then I break it down, what are the negatives, the cost/benefit analysis? Added unsprung weight and rotational mass from the hub motors and uprated suspension (more mass to handle the weight). Added sprung weight from the batteries inverters. Mileage loss.... I even break it down to what tools I would need to do the job and maintain the system...

I do this kind of thing all the time, usually when I'm bored, doing the dishes and staring out the kitchen window or when in a group of people I'm not actively engaged in conversing with.. I just drift off into this big box store in my head that has everything I'd ever need to build anything, and I build stuff... Starting with an exploded view of all the parts I have to start with, I can visualize the whole thing going together. Then if I don't have someone or something distract me or draw my attention back to the real world, I'll take my new inventions for a test drive, looking for ways to improve the design...

Computer parts, car truck parts, electronics, home appliances, gold sluices. I always look at things and think about ways to make them better, faster, stronger, lighter, more efficient, less likely to break down, etc etc etc.

Technology is awesome!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

MarthaCannary wrote:

Technology is awesome!

And it is useful too.

ruveyn

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2012, 2:09 pm

I really like technology.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

I can certainly obsess over having new tech if I allow myself to... HOURS can disappear as I research/debate what I need, what would be nice, what I can afford... etc.

The bleeding edge of technology is VERY expensive for very little gain over the affordable "moderate" ground.

For example, a $125 video card will play any current game under the sun at max settings for a single monitor smoothly enough to enjoy. A $500 video card is only two times faster for a 4x increase in price and, unless you have a triple monitor setup, doesn't make a humongous difference.

Gaming performance between a $100 i3-2100 and a $600 six-core i7 3930K is visible, but only about 50% increase, despite costing six times more!'

In short, unless your kid is doing something that earns money and the faster his computer is, the more money he'll earn - FORGET IT!

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2012, 11:26 pm

I'm fighting the urge... Part of me wants to blow $600 and get an i7-3770k rig - a big upgrade over my current Q6600 and would go a long way to improving my Folding@Home performance (and find a cure for cancer before I get it too!)

Anyone want to talk me into/out of it? :duh:

mkt
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Oct 2012, 2:31 am

Hey thanks for all your replies!! Part of the issue is that he is expected to save and he works really hard at that,but currently, his laptop is away getting fixed. Not his fault but a fault with machine. The waiting game is stressfull. No matter how often we went over the fact it would have to sent away and he seemed to be onboard with that, he still went into complete meltdown about it :( Plus his machine/laptop is not standing up to the use it gets so he does need something else. Means selling what he has first. It's a waiting game...
He also really struggles to decide on a final choice once he has the money in fear of going for the wrong thing!! !! !

I know I pretty much have to grin and bear it as does he but it is pretty emotionally exhausting.

He gets better as he gets older but wow I dread dealing with it!!

Thanks again!

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

The problem is that having too many gadgets can cause overload for an aspie like myself, my support workers suggested to me to cut down on the amount of gadgets.

You got to see what you use most and ditch the rest. Less stress as possible.

I have lossed interest in desktop computers as I prefer to take my internet with me. So laptop and smartphone.

Sky go on the move.

Blu ray,xbox and sky hd box for indoor entertainment.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 1:19 am

lol I have electronic gadgets that other people are like what the Heck you actually use that like my PalmPilot and PalmOne Livedrive and even a LaserDisc. I even have an old 486 tower that is Super Big. like for example of this my 486 tower
At the time of this pic I was working on it because I was tring to find out why the SCSI CD DRive was not working but I found out that the Drive that I got had a wrong version of MSCDEX.exe I had to put one that I had for MSDOS 6.0

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 1:59 am

I find technology inspires equal parts awe and terror in me. I like the massive amounts of integration available today and how it means you can carry what would have been a super computer 30-40 years ago in your pocket. However, with great power comes the capacity for great abuse of that power. The ability of governments and corporations to turn our tech against us is truly terrifying. What is available to us today makes Orwell's 1984 look like child's play.