What is your main phone? And, what's the best you've owned?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 4:35 am

The land line is pretty good but of course I can't use it very far from the house. I haven't got a working mobile phone right now.

Best mobile phone was a Samsung pay-as-you-go UK dumbphone. It lasted over a decade. All I had to do was go to an ATM and top it up with credit when it was low. It even worked in some parts of the USA. It had a feature for blocking any individual phone numbers I wanted to block. Since it stopped working I've not been able to find anything half as good. The last one (dumbphone) had a worse user interface, unstoppable texts from the provider advertising stupid deals, the ATMs had stopped doing the top-up thing, topping it up online wasn't easy, and the service provider had a rule that if I didn't use the phone at least once every 6 months for something that cost money, they'd permanently stop supporting that number. So after 8 months in the USA where it didn't work at all, it became completely useless. Most of my mobile phone problems come from bad service providers. I just don't need to use a mobile phone often enough to justify paying a monthly fee, but the pay-as-you-go contracts all seem to be rubbish.

Sometimes I feel tempted to get a smartphone, but apart from the expense there's the issue of being tracked. I don't know how to fix that.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 4:44 am

I have had a Galaxy S20 for about 3 1/2 years, and just started using the fingerprint unlock feature which is amazing. Probably the best phone I've owned, but a very pedestrian choice, I suppose.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 5:35 am

Redmi Note 10 5G,
I got it after I passed the college entrance examination, and it was advertised for its durability and high cost performance. It is indeed true, it is still useful after three years, as long as I don't rely on it to play games.

isolation_stars
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Aug 2024, 12:50 pm

I personally like smaller phones. Too bad they don't make many of them anymore.
My favourite phone so far has been iPhone 6s. I bought one for cheap in October 2022 and used it for about 6 months. No sideloading was a huge downside. I mainly like it for its size - which is a perfect size for a phone IMO. For that old of a phone the photos were decent. And another huge plus - it has a headphone jack.
Now I use Sony Xperia 10 V. I like its design and size, it has no camera cutout, also has a headphone jack (wich is a must for me even though I use ANC Bluetooth headphones most of the time), takes nice photos, and the lilac clolor is nice. Seriously, why don't more phones come in purple/lilac. I even recommended this phone to a friend who has similar requirements for a phone. Sony makes pretty good phones, but they have almost no marketing compared to juggernauts of the phone market like Samsung or Apple.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2024, 1:56 pm

My last phone was a Blackview BV9800 I selected for its thermal camera.
It may have been clunky, but the battery lasted 5 days in a low service area.
Despite having a gorillaglass protector, the screen smashed after falling off the car seat :(
It now lives in the car for use in a bushfire for seeing through smoke.

I followed that with a Blackview BL8800, whose battery lasts a week. It has an IR blaster so I can use it as a remote.
These phones are really for ringing out. The only incoming calls are solar panel spam and scams.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2024, 7:31 am

An OPPO A31.

Only I can claim mine and still currently owned for the last 4 or so years now.

Brought it on my 25th birthday.
I pray that it will lasts for another 5 or 6 years. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 4:53 am

My main phone is a Samsung Galaxy S23 and the best phone I've ever owned in the BlackBerry Passport.

BB10 OS s**ts all over iOS and Android. Why is it that the best phone with the best OS stops getting made? BB10 felt intuitive. Android is unintuitive and iOS feels like it was made for toddlers.

The BlackBerry even had a pause button. It was right in-between Vol+ and Vol-. Listening to some music and need to pause it? Just push the button! On modern phones you have to go out of the app you're in. Then go into the app that's playing the music. Then push the little circle on the touch screen.

The BlackBerries had amazingly good keyboards. I loved phones with physical keyboards. But then some cancerous little polyp named Steve Jobs decided that we're better off without keyboards. Because who needs tactile feedback when typing right? Hell, even the Mighty Macbook has only a few femtometers of key travel so it feels very similar to typing on a glass touchscreen.

Steve Jobs hated buttons almost as much as he hated eating a balanced diet. He hated buttons so much he wore a turtleneck just so he wouldn't have to button his shirt. He also decided we don't need the pause button either.

But I shouldn't try to insult or belittle Steve Jobs because even when he's dead he still has far more influence than I'll ever have while I'm alive. His terrible ideas will last for generations while I'll go on having no influence at all on how technology is designed.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 3:16 pm

Version 4 (I kept retyping this because the back story gets me riled). This should have been a simple answer.

My primary phone is a "landline." I have phone that will take messages and can act as a speaker phone. I also have an old fashion wall phone. It is not that old fashion. It is push button, not rotary dial.
My secondary phone is an iPhone. It is the story of how I was forced (literally) to get an iPhone that gets me riled up. I use the iPhone for texting my sons, playing Sudoku, Pokémon Go, the timer for baking, and weather. I rarely use it as a phone. Very rarely.
Why iPhone and not an Android device? It was forced on me by the hospital.

Quote:
Emergencies:
One of the most important differences between landlines and cell phones is how they function during emergencies.

* A cell phone will be useful during emergencies that arise when you’re away from home, such as a car accident. Even if you choose to have a landline, you may prefer to purchase a prepaid cell phone, just in case.
* One of the drawbacks to cell phones is that your address is not visible to the emergency operator. At best, the cell phone will list your latitude and longitude, which are not always as easy to find as an address. Depending on the service you use, your telephone number might not be visible to the operator, either.
* What will happen if your power goes out? Your cell phone will continue to operate as long as it has a battery, but what if the power outage lasts for an extended period of time? One solution may be to check your area’s laws regarding telephone service. Some areas require telephone providers to allow residents to dial 911 from their landline even if the resident is not paying for service.
* Last but not least, consider who will be using the phone. Some parents believe that it’s easier to teach small children to dial 911 on a landline phone than on a cell phone. If you’re caring for an elderly person, consider whether they will find it easier to dial a cell phone or a landline phone in case of an emergency. You may want to get a special cell phone created specifically for senior citizens.

Follow up notes. I think the 911 has been addressed by some parts of the country.
The power outage advantage is no longer true for me, because the phone company did away with landlines. I use Internet phone service to supply my landline connection. Power goes out. Broadband modem shuts down. No phone. However, the iPhone provides some means of connecting to the Electric Company (not Sesame Street though).
* 911 is the U.S. emergency number. I believe some other countries use it too, but not everyone. I think Britain uses 999 (???) although if I'm to believe the I.T. Crowd, it is 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3. Love that episode. Actually I love all the episodes.

Version 4 is a third the length of versions 1 through 3, and it is not nearly as bitter.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2024, 3:25 pm

:silent: My main phone:

If I'm downstairs, however, I use the wall-phone in the kitchen.

Yes, my bride would like me to get a portable phone.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Today, 3:22 pm

Current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S20FE.

Best I ever owned was the original Nokia 3310, in my opinion the best phone ever built.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 3:50 pm

Currently a Blackview BL8800. It has a battery that lasts a week in a poor service area and reasonable night vision.
My previous phone was a Blackview BV9800 which has a FLIR thermal camera I got for solar panel testing and for evacuation during bushfire.

Both these phones now have cracked screens and I never have the inclination to repair them.

My partner ordered me a new phone last week. A BL9300 which has a built in laser range finder I needed for pyrotechnic shows.
I'm sure it will also have Blackview's hallmark ridiculous battery longevity.
I am surprised it doesn't come with a bump converter so you can jump start a truck with it.