Page 2 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 8:55 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Only zealots bash people for criticizing their favorite OS; and as much as I dislike M$, I have to say the Linux and Mac zealots are far, far worse than any M$ fanboi. Just using Linux for the sake of using Linux is, well, a zealot thing.

Thats the smartest thing i heard this month. Linux and Mac Fanboys are in most cases far worse. It least a windows fanboy can actually stand using another OS.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2008, 9:46 pm

gamefreak wrote:
The only company that even makes drivers for Linux is Intel.

What? Heck no!

Nvidia has great driver support! "Open source drivers for NVIDIA nForce hardware are included in the standard Linux kernel and leading Linux distributions."
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

ATI has lots of drivers, but are less supportive of them.
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

lots of routers and gateways have linux drivers, my wacom tablet is supported.. its third party but wacom maintains links to it.
http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/linux.cfm

which is at least tacit support.

My two year old motherboard(not all of us use linux to keep old machines alive) has all sorts of linux drivers. I'd have to check the 4 year old computer but i am sure it does as well(they are both asus).

They are drivers for the sound, lan and other stuff. Thats right off the motherboard cd-rom.

I don't get why you'd make the bold statement that nobody but intel makes linux drivers!

My other three computers I have no disks for. My laptop is an acer, as is one of the desktops. The last computer is a dell of some sort.

Acer's driver site seems to be down but this indicates that they are friendly http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9960210-7.html

Dell ships computers installed with red hat. Seems they like linux too.

Mr. Micheal Dell speaks on the matter in this interview. Here is a gem: "If you look at DistroWatch, you'll see zillions of these distributions. Which one should we do? And, everyone keeps telling us that they want different distributions. So, our conclusion is to do them all and let the customer decide. So it is, Dell continued, that 'on the desktop we have the nSeries, so that the user can pick the Linux he wants.'"

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html

Here is their dell site for linux http://linux.dell.com/

As far as zealotry goes, I am not. I use Windows (xp), have installed vista(and trouble shoot that machine), am conversant in some distros of Linux and I am hunting for a mac. I'm pervasively a computer user. I want to be well informed. I want to experience them all. To grok the computer.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 8:17 am

My last post made you guys look in the mirror and realize what zealots you are. BTW, zealot isn't an offensive term, it's a metaphor for someone who's a fanatic.

It goes like this:

Linux users = Extreme Zealots.
Mac users = Zealots.
Windows users = Content with having an OS that runs the software they want to use while not being zealots. They also do not force their operating system on others like the above zealots.

Being too strong of a fanatic of anything is wrong in my opinion, but zealots will be zealots.

The zealots have gotten really quiet around here. Are you guys awake? Wakey wakey zealots, it's a new day! :lol:

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Aug 2008, 8:35 am

I like Linux, and I don't consider it useless. It gets the job done like any other OS. It is more difficult that it's alternatives though.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 11:55 am

Linux- Nerds, Enthusaists, occasional workstation nazis, Private Companies [Like Myself}

Windows- Common Folk, Programmers, Corporate Techheads, Nerds with money[Not the ones using AVG Free.], Public School Systems

Mac- Graphic Artist, College Student, People afraid of viruses

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2008, 1:35 pm

UNIX/Linux don;t make a great desktop system. I have been using it as a desktop system for almost 20 years now.
and it works fine for me. but you with your "useless" post totally forget what UNIX and Linux do best. they are primarily for heavy duty multi tasking multiuser environments particularly for high end servers. as a services delivery platform they do a great job and there is a great deal of GREAT (not mediocre!) software to do just that. If you like windows on the desktop better and windows has the better apps for you then by all means use it. but please don't call UNIX/Linux useless because it doesn't suit your needs as a desktop system. most of the internet runs on some form of UNIX or UNIX clone like Linux.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2008, 4:13 pm

pat666rick wrote:
My last post made you guys look in the mirror and realize what zealots you are. BTW, zealot isn't an offensive term, it's a metaphor for someone who's a fanatic.

It goes like this:

Mac users = Zealots.
Windows users = Content with having an OS that runs the software they want to use while not being zealots. They also do not force their operating system on others like the above zealots.

Being too strong of a fanatic of anything is wrong in my opinion, but zealots will be zealots.

The zealots have gotten really quiet around here. Are you guys awake? Wakey wakey zealots, it's a new day! :lol:

Damn, you're a hypocrite. You're a huge fanatic. If you were "content with" your OS and uninterested in"forcing your os on others" why start a thread about how horrible Linux is and then started invading another thread to bash Linux? And you still never answered the question I raised in the other thread- what am I missing out on by not running Windows? Aside from games, which I don't care about. You keep trying to hide behind generalities. Give some specific facts.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

Orwell wrote:
pat666rick wrote:

It goes like this:

Mac users = Zealots.

Damn, you're a hypocrite. You're a huge fanatic. If you were "content with" your OS and uninterested in"forcing your os on others" why start a thread about how horrible Linux is and then started invading another thread to bash Linux? And you still never answered the question I raised in the other thread- what am I missing out on by not running Windows? Aside from games, which I don't care about. You keep trying to hide behind generalities. Give some specific facts.

Zealot... ^_^

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2008, 3:46 am

Hypocrite. (And I'm far from a zealot)

RogueProcess
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2008, 2:27 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Orwell wrote:
pat666rick wrote:

It goes like this:

Mac users = Zealots.

Zealot... ^_^

I hate to continue making ret*d statements on an already completely ret*d topic, but shut the hell up! Seriously, just because most people rightly see that Widows is a complete garbage OS doesn't mean they're zealots. I run, or have run OSX Leopard, Fedora 9, Ubuntu and Kubuntu Feisty, Windows XP-SP2, 2000, ME, 98, 95 and MS-DOS 5, and am considering trying a desktop-oriented BSD distro, so you could hardly accuse me of bias or zealousness (sp?), but in my opinion, the Windows versions I have used have been some of the worst I have used.
Really you are just as, if not more zealous in your defence of Windows. Between OSX and Linux, I can pretty-much run anything I could possibly want with the exception of games. None of the apps or software are 'mediocre'. Linux's software either matches or exceeds that of most stuff on Windows, and Apple's stuff generally kicks ass. So STFU, nyerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! !! !! :P

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 2:58 pm

I have 2 computers. 1 is Windows for gaming and internet. 1 is Linux for programming. Win-win.

Programming is soooo much easier in *ix.

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

i would use vista but ..

Its slow
i only have 1GB of ram and dont want to upgrade to 2GB of ram
Im happy with linux for now..

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Aug 2008, 11:36 pm

What we have in this thread is a bona fide pescador.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:25 pm

The only thing is that most Linux ports of PC Software are usally crap.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 1:42 pm

gamefreak wrote:
The only thing is that most Linux ports of PC Software are usally crap.

That I can agree with. The "author" might as well start from scratch.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2008, 2:41 pm

There are better open source alternatives, such as Open Office instead of MS Office. I am still not converted over to linux but that may change, depending how windows 7 works out, I like XP because it works for me, but I know it may become obsolete after 2010. I will be using linux for a dedicated media pc I am building, using myth or media portal.