Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:55 am

Fnord wrote:
Rafter613 wrote:
hey guys, we covered the laws of thermodynamic in physics, but I don't understand why they are laws. What's the proof for them?

Repeatably verifiable experimental evidence.

Did you take the course without even one laboratory session? :roll:

Is it in an under-funded public school or state university? :eew:

There is no absolute deductive proof for them. However they are very well supported empirically and they have never been falsified. In the domain of scientific hypotheses it does not get better than that.

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 8:58 am

Psiri wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
abstrusemortal wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I'm a bit rusty on the subject, I did physics 30 years ago. I seem to remember that Maxwell came up the core of thermodynamics and that they are deductible from the other laws of physics. However was it the direction of entropy that was not deductible but based upon empirical evidence? Somebody remind me.

Maxwell came up with the critical equations for describing ELECTROMAGNETIC theory.

There are three laws of thermodynamics. There is also the Zeroth law of thermodynamics which has to do with measuring temperature.

He also came up with laws for thermodynamics as well, for which he is perhaps lesser known. His most memorable, to me anyway, was the principle which became known as Maxwell's monkey. As a physics student I came up with a thought experiment that could in principle bypass some of the principles of thermodynamics to pick background heat up and convert it into useful work contrary to the laws of thermodynamics. I confounded my physics lecturer at the time who could not fault my theory but it turned out Maxwell had already thought about this "loophole" and decreed that it would never be possible to exploit it. It is also called Maxwell's Demon.

I'm still a little suspicious that my thought experiment would have worked despite Maxwell. For it not to work would mean some pretty strange things would need to happen at the microscopic scale of matter. If there are any physics experts here I'll share the thought experiment.

Oh yeah, Maxwell's demon! That's a little creature who sits at the dividing wall between two chambers, each filled with gas at the same temperature. He has a little door, which he can open and shut, to let the gas molecules through. Everytime he sees a faster (hotter) than average molecule, he opens the door and everytime he sees a slower one he shuts it. This way heat flows from a cold object to a hot object, contrary to the second law of TDs.
The catch is he has to move energy to actually open the door, and also to identify which molecules are quick and which are slow (maybe he shines a light on them.) The entropy gain in these actions is always larger than the entropy loss in letting the molecule through the door, even for an imaginary creature.

Yes! That's the little devil.

I had a thought experiment when I was a physics student 30 years ago but at the time I knew nothing about Maxwell's demon. I'd love to know where my theory breaks - assuming it does. The closest thing I've come across is Maxwell's demon, but can someone tell me exactly how this would apply in the following thought experiment:

Just to set the scene, remember Brownian motion? Air molecules knocking little dust particles around due to the very high speeds of the air molecules (typically around 700 mph at room temperature). The little dust particle just bounces around (the random walk) but just think if this could be scaled up so a larger particle could be made to move. Unfortunately this can't happen because the forces tend to cancel out on larger objects and the net momentum imparted to them is negligible.

What is needed is a way to create a difference in the number of collisions on one side of the larger object so that a net momentum can be imparted, but this needs to be done somehow without needing to do expend more energy doing it than would be gained (as kinetic energy) by the target.

This may be the solution: Consider if you had a very thin but strong membrane. Perhaps a polymer sheet. In this polymer are small holes slightly larger than that of the air molecules or other gas used (Argon would be good because it is inert and single atoms rather than lumpy molecules such as O2 or N2).

Covering those holes are small "doors". The doors consist simply of a side chain of polymer consisting of only a few atoms. The doors are only on one side of the polymer sheet. The doors can only swing open one way - the same as a typical house door. (This is because of the way the door is attached to the sheet and the fact the door is slightly larger than the hole). A one way flap.

Normally the doors have a tendency to swing shut, this tendency can be achieved by having atoms that are attracted to the "door frame" atoms, in a similar way to that in which protein molecules fold to a preferred 3 dimensional shape. This could be achieved using atoms that would be electrostatically attracted to one another but not strong enough to form chemical bonds. However, this force holding the doors shut is minimal by design.

Now consider what happens if a fast gas molecule hits the door. If it hits on one side it will knock the door open and pass through. It may lose a little momentum to the door / membrane but not much as it continues in its forward direction. However, if a gas molecule hits the other side of the door it will simply knock the door against the door frame and the gas molecule will rebound. In rebounding it imparts momentum to the door / door frame / membrane.

If you do the maths on this you will find that at room temperature and pressure that such a membrane with only say 1% coverage with such doors will pick up a substantial amount of momentum from the gas rebounds.

So what? You may think.

Well consider arranging three such membranes ate 120 degrees to each other and attached to an axle. You have a turbine. In principle the turbine will turn and is capable of doing work.

This in NOT a perpetual motion machine because there is no net gain of energy. What would actually be happening is the gas molecules would lose momentum as the turbine gained momentum and consequently the gas would cool.
This is contrary to the second law of thermodynamics. Useful work would be obtained from background heat.
The "loophole" that my thought experiment uses to try to cheat is that of random motion. The backbone of Thermodynamics is that of random motion of particles and a statistical treatment of such particles. However, if you deviate from the randomness (with the one way doors) then the principle may well break down.

Anyone understand what I'm saying? Would this work? Maxwell must have had a similar thought experiment to me to come up with his "Demon" but it isn't actually proof it would not work.

In my mind I can see the process, see the atoms bouncing from one side and passing straight through from the other. Why would this not work? What am I missing (if anything)?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:06 am

I can think of two environmens for your system. A closed system, where the vanes are enclosed in a static chamber of gas, and the open system, where we have an infinite volume of gas. As the later is really just a limit case of the former, we really only need to examine what happens in that former case.

Your trapdoors will selectively allow gas to pass one way, but not the other, giving rise to a force on the vane. However, in that process, the rebounding gas itself will mean that the velocity distribution within the gas changes. It will result in there being more molecules travelling towards the trapdoors from the side where they open. After an initial "kick", I see an equilibrium establishing itself, where the excess bounced molecules are forcing trapdoors to open more often. Although this individually causes less momentum transfer, there are more impacts. The net effect will make the apparent pressure on each side of the vanes equal.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 12:53 pm

lau wrote:
I can think of two environmens for your system. A closed system, where the vanes are enclosed in a static chamber of gas, and the open system, where we have an infinite volume of gas. As the later is really just a limit case of the former, we really only need to examine what happens in that former case.

Your trapdoors will selectively allow gas to pass one way, but not the other, giving rise to a force on the vane. However, in that process, the rebounding gas itself will mean that the velocity distribution within the gas changes. It will result in there being more molecules travelling towards the trapdoors from the side where they open. After an initial "kick", I see an equilibrium establishing itself, where the excess bounced molecules are forcing trapdoors to open more often. Although this individually causes less momentum transfer, there are more impacts. The net effect will make the apparent pressure on each side of the vanes equal.

You may be right. It would be nice to get a definitive answer though. I'm half tempted to write a computer simulation but my maths and physics are a bit rusty now and I'm not sure I'd make the model 100% realistic. It would also need a fairly hefty computer to run such a simulation, at least with a visual presentation. The last time I wrote and ran anything like that was on a Cray supercomputer in Fortran and I got told off for slowing it down :wink: I was then introduced to the concept of batch processing :) Happy days.

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jan 2009, 3:47 pm

Quote:
I had a thought experiment when I was a physics student 30 years ago but at the time I knew nothing about Maxwell's demon. I'd love to know where my theory breaks - assuming it does. The closest thing I've come across is Maxwell's demon, but can someone tell me exactly how this would apply in the following thought experiment:

Just to set the scene, remember Brownian motion? Air molecules knocking little dust particles around due to the very high speeds of the air molecules (typically around 700 mph at room temperature). The little dust particle just bounces around (the random walk) but just think if this could be scaled up so a larger particle could be made to move. Unfortunately this can't happen because the forces tend to cancel out on larger objects and the net momentum imparted to them is negligible.

What is needed is a way to create a difference in the number of collisions on one side of the larger object so that a net momentum can be imparted, but this needs to be done somehow without needing to do expend more energy doing it than would be gained (as kinetic energy) by the target.

This may be the solution: Consider if you had a very thin but strong membrane. Perhaps a polymer sheet. In this polymer are small holes slightly larger than that of the air molecules or other gas used (Argon would be good because it is inert and single atoms rather than lumpy molecules such as O2 or N2).

Covering those holes are small "doors". The doors consist simply of a side chain of polymer consisting of only a few atoms. The doors are only on one side of the polymer sheet. The doors can only swing open one way - the same as a typical house door. (This is because of the way the door is attached to the sheet and the fact the door is slightly larger than the hole). A one way flap.

Normally the doors have a tendency to swing shut, this tendency can be achieved by having atoms that are attracted to the "door frame" atoms, in a similar way to that in which protein molecules fold to a preferred 3 dimensional shape. This could be achieved using atoms that would be electrostatically attracted to one another but not strong enough to form chemical bonds. However, this force holding the doors shut is minimal by design.

Now consider what happens if a fast gas molecule hits the door. If it hits on one side it will knock the door open and pass through. It may lose a little momentum to the door / membrane but not much as it continues in its forward direction. However, if a gas molecule hits the other side of the door it will simply knock the door against the door frame and the gas molecule will rebound. In rebounding it imparts momentum to the door / door frame / membrane.

If you do the maths on this you will find that at room temperature and pressure that such a membrane with only say 1% coverage with such doors will pick up a substantial amount of momentum from the gas rebounds.

So what? You may think.

Well consider arranging three such membranes ate 120 degrees to each other and attached to an axle. You have a turbine. In principle the turbine will turn and is capable of doing work.

This in NOT a perpetual motion machine because there is no net gain of energy. What would actually be happening is the gas molecules would lose momentum as the turbine gained momentum and consequently the gas would cool.
This is contrary to the second law of thermodynamics. Useful work would be obtained from background heat.
The "loophole" that my thought experiment uses to try to cheat is that of random motion. The backbone of Thermodynamics is that of random motion of particles and a statistical treatment of such particles. However, if you deviate from the randomness (with the one way doors) then the principle may well break down.

Anyone understand what I'm saying? Would this work? Maxwell must have had a similar thought experiment to me to come up with his "Demon" but it isn't actually proof it would not work.

In my mind I can see the process, see the atoms bouncing from one side and passing straight through from the other. Why would this not work? What am I missing (if anything)?

I had a look in a book by Richard Feynmann, he describes a similar thing with a ratchet and pawl. Instead of pushing a door open, the molecules would push a vane attached to a ratchet, and a pawl on a spring would ensure that the 'turbine' only moved one way. Each collision on the 'clockwise side' would move the system, those on the 'anticlockwise side' wouldn't. This way we'd extract motion from a gas at uniform temperature, breaking the 2nd law.
The catch is in the mechanism that regulates the one-way motion, whether it be your atomic doors or this imaginary ratchet/pawl system. If the objects are perfectly elastic, so no energy is dissipated in their motion, then the door/pawl will bounce open and closed. In this case, molecules/ratchet teeth are as likely to pass through in either direction. If the motion is damped somehow, so that the door stays closed or the pawl stays down, then this heats up the ratchet+pawl/door+frame increasing their thermal motion and the pawl/door will flap open and closed from the increased vibration.
That's roughly the idea, he goes into a great deal of detail and uses a fair bit of maths to prove his point, but the problem is always the same as Maxwell's Demon; the process of seperating the particles always uses more heat than you extract by seperation. The book is brilliant by the way; The Feynmann Lectures Vol 1-3.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 3:06 pm

Psiri wrote:
That's roughly the idea, he goes into a great deal of detail and uses a fair bit of maths to prove his point, but the problem is always the same as Maxwell's Demon; the process of seperating the particles always uses more heat than you extract by seperation. The book is brilliant by the way; The Feynmann Lectures Vol 1-3.

Thanks :D Theory foiled again :( I'll have to be more creative :wink:

Death_of_Pathos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2009, 7:12 am

I read a /. article sometime within the last two years about a nanoscale structure functioning similarly to Maxwell's Demon.

Here is a Wikipedia blurb about it:

Quote:
In the 1 February 2007 issue of Nature, David Leigh, a professor at the University of Edinburgh, announced the creation of a nano-device based on this thought experiment. This device is able to drive a chemical system out of equilibrium, but it must be powered by an external source (light in this case) and therefore does not violate thermodynamics.

Previously, other researchers created a ring-shaped molecule which could be placed on an axle connecting two sites (called A and B). Particles from either site would bump into the ring and move it from end to end. If a large collection of these devices were placed in a system, half of the devices had the ring at site A and half at B at any given moment in time.

Leigh made a minor change to the axle so that if a light is shone on the device, the center of the axle will thicken, thus restricting the motion of the ring. It only keeps the ring from moving, however, if it is at site A. Over time, therefore, the rings will be bumped from site B to site A and get stuck there, creating an imbalance in the system. In his experiments, Leigh was able to take a pot of "billions of these devices" from 50:50 equilibrium to a 70:30 imbalance within a few minutes.[4]

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 9:22 am

It can not be Maxwell's Demon becuase it was supplied with light, I think that the synthesis of a Maxwell's demon like molecular device is a challenge which might be impossible to overcome.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.