Page 14 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 5:47 pm

dcj123 wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
(Adafruit + Arduino = Love ...from Limor Fried's site)

Thats not the arduino logo, its the Raspberry Pi's logo.

You are of course, correct! I was *thinking* about arduinos after I saw inside my kid's toy (it uses an Atmega to run the motors and read a sensor) and typed that instead. Thank you, for the correction!

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 5:54 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
I grabbed a HP3115m we had for this trip to Grandma's House. It's my spouse's & I figured it would be good to cycle the battery a few times, update & tune up Win7, etc.. Didn't realize how long it had been since anyone had used it until I saw the desktop:

It's not a bad netbook style AMD E-300 powered little rig. And everything is accessible from the bottom, which removes completely without tools, like many HP's. I'd even call it "cute", if a bit underpowered. Should be able to extend it's life with a ram boost & small ssd.

I love netbooks. Fair warning, you're gonna want zram or whatever else it may be that compresses /swap/ to within inches of its' life on anything you switch to from Windows. As a Palm fanboy I find my standards ridiculously stringent for shell extensions & the like.

I'll post my Thinkpad's in a minute...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 6:08 pm

:/ that didn't work... guess I'll hit google photos again tomorrow. Code's not writing itself...

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 3:29 pm

A boatload of Syrian refugees about to land on the Greek island of Lesbos as the sun sets over the Aegean.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 4:03 pm

cberg wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:
I grabbed a HP3115m we had for this trip to Grandma's House. It's my spouse's & I figured it would be good to cycle the battery a few times, update & tune up Win7, etc.. Didn't realize how long it had been since anyone had used it until I saw the desktop:

It's not a bad netbook style AMD E-300 powered little rig. And everything is accessible from the bottom, which removes completely without tools, like many HP's. I'd even call it "cute", if a bit underpowered. Should be able to extend it's life with a ram boost & small ssd.

I love netbooks. Fair warning, you're gonna want zram or whatever else it may be that compresses /swap/ to within inches of its' life on anything you switch to from Windows. As a Palm fanboy I find my standards ridiculously stringent for shell extensions & the like.

I'll post my Thinkpad's in a minute...

I love netbook sized systems, too. That's why my T200 is still my grab-n-go and it's successor will be similar.

This one is going to stay Windows since my spouse uses it more than I do. It now has 8GB, which helps a lot. The HDD is next, it's still stock which means SATA-2...and the odd little internal slot for a tiny, non-std SSD card for ReadyBoost. I figure since 16GB cards for that slot are < $10 USD & I have a few in a junk box, I may swap out the main drive to SSD and use the little one for VM, logs, etc.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 6:59 pm

I'm surprised the AMD is still serviceable. Makes me curious if it would get any advantages from running 10, perhaps when that finally gets a service pack. A really wired chan I've been hanging out on seems to be full of AMD worshipers, I understand their enthusiasm over the outlier chipsets that set records but can AMDs really be better ULV components?

Anyways here's my ThinkPad's F23 install:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 12:43 am

cberg wrote:
I'm surprised the AMD is still serviceable. Makes me curious if it would get any advantages from running 10, perhaps when that finally gets a service pack. A really wired chan I've been hanging out on seems to be full of AMD worshipers, I understand their enthusiasm over the outlier chipsets that set records but can AMDs really be better ULV components?

Anyways here's my ThinkPad's F23 install:
(image)

It's amazing how serviceable a SSD & GB of ram can make most older systems. At least compared to how they ran originally anyway. This one is really just for web access when we travel, so long battery life and a current radio are it's most important features. I don't know if it would be worth the upgrade to Win10, given that all it really does is run a browser (usually firefox).

AMD might do well with their ULV stuff...if they can just decide if they are going to go with the ARM or x86 architecture. I think they reversed their announced position several times in 2015 & it's clear they can't afford to build out both to a scale that would threaten Intel.

Joseph123
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2016, 6:24 pm

Keeping it simple :)

I keep doing things wrong, but what exactly is right and wrong? People are too inconsistent.

People confuse me, life confuses me, I confuse myself. If you want to be confused, message me sometime. :)