Joke --> :clown:
:? <--- My head.
Note altitude. :oops:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 11:44 am

Cornflake wrote:
The OS is irrelevant: it's the user who is not "easy to use".

You aren't kidding! Since writing the above post I got an enquiry via the contact form on my website. Someone asking a couple of questions about one of my freeware programs. Those questions are already answered on my site. However, as I generally try to be helpful I sent him a quick email reply to the email address he gave in the contact form *****@inbox.com

I thought that was the end of it. I'd wasted enough time answering his questions duplicating the information that was already on my site that he couldn't be bothered to read. Then I got a long automated email from inbox.com, the gist of it saying I had to click on a link to prove I wasn't a spammer. OK, it is only one click... A webpage opened wanting me to enable JavaScript in my browser and to enter a bloody captcha phrase! F**k him and screw inbox.com! I closed the browser tab. :x

Shorttail
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 May 2012, 12:07 pm

TallyMan wrote:
How did you get on with setting that up? I use TrueCrypt for encrypted devices (external hard drives) and encrypted drives (as TrueCrypt files) on the main Vista (spit! :lol: ) disk. However, I've always been too nervous to try setting up the operating system on TrueCrypt (C: ) in case the conversion process went tits up.

To be fair, I was really nervous, though a tutor of mine said it worked fine for him. I went through the tutorial on their site and eight hours later it was done. I haven't had a single problem with the boot loader, but then again I've kept everything foreign to Windows 7 on virtual machines.
I used TrueCrypt in the past just as storage, but a complete encryption is pretty simple. A lot of the options don't work on boot (you can only use AES, only use one of the hash algorithms, stuff like that).
Also, the encryption phase (took a little less than an hour per 100 MB) can be paused, so it doesn't have to be in one session. I haven't bothered with multiple OS'es, but I don't think it's too difficult either.

Granted, I did it on a rather new computer with little on it. I suggest you back up everything you want to keep throughly. Also you need to save a boot loader fixer, since some crappy anti piracy software can screw it up.

Cornflake wrote:
"He who plays with root eventually kills tree".

( 'w')(\ nyoro~n

TallyMan wrote:
However, I think a lot current computer users nowadays have the attention span and intelligence of a carrot. Based on some of the support requests I get, I swear that if you gave some people an interface that only had a single big button on it saying "CLICK THIS BUTTON TO SAVE YOUR FILE" they would still contact me asking what to do or what a file was!

The best graphically designed software I have ever used is a dvd to usb tool. It had a fairly small window, with four or so icons. First was the name, second said "drag iso file here", third was a check for formatting, fourth was a button that said "do it!". I truly felt catered for. ~.~

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 3:06 pm

This is the most worn out debate on WP.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2012, 4:31 pm

TallyMan wrote:
A large part of it seems to me that the newer generations of computer users aren't like us oldies who studied and/or worked I.T. or had a passionate hobby interest in computers. The newer generations of computer users tend to not be interested in any technical aspects. They just want to be able to browse facebook, do some online shopping and swap messages with their friends. Which is fair enough, horses for courses.

Depressing, but I see what you mean. I'm strongly of the opinion that they should have a mandatory computer programming course in middle schools and maybe even parts of high school. Additionally everyone should be taught how to make full use of documentation, where to get free software, how to troubeshoot, and how to use the command line (although I suppose the Windows command line is kind of useless). People can do so much with computer if they just know how!

40djbrooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2012, 6:51 pm

Microsoft wants to up their game with a cross platform operating system so people can relate better with their technology. I think it may not be a bad thing in time, but we all so used to the current way we communicate with our devices.

The question I think needs to be asked, should we just embrace windows 8? It is going to be some time for everyone to catch up and if the cost justify upgrading.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:40 pm

IMO, the software for Linux is cheezy and second-rate.
I see not real practical advantage to Linux.

That's just my opinion.

Diagnosed in 2005

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 12:55 pm

IMO every single Linux kernel developer should stop what they're doing immediately and commit themselves full time to WINE.

But then, I have a more practical than philosophical view of software.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 4:28 pm

The software for Linux is steadily improving. OpenOffice seemed so clunky when I first used it a few years ago, but now it's a lot better. So is Gimp, though I still prefer my PSP.

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
IMO every single Linux kernel developer should stop what they're doing immediately and commit themselves full time to WINE.

But then, I have a more practical than philosophical view of software.

I agree, to a point. There's a lot of software out there, that it seems to me just a little more tweaking of Wine would make fully available in Linux. I'd love to see that. I suppose though that there are limitations to what can be done with it, proprietary, copyright or trademark issues no doubt. But getting Paintshop Pro to work in Wine made a huge difference to me. Gimp was useful for graphics, and versatile, but still not the same, a bit clunky. In fact the area of graphics seems to me to be the biggest hurdle for Linux changeovers. The graphics software too often feels so clunky. Astrology is an interest of mine, and I'd like to see better software available for that in Linux as well. That would have been a major stopping point for me if not for the Internet sites that allow free chart drawing, such as Astrodienst.

I also think that Linux users need to speak out more. When I find software that I think would be useful to me, but is available for Mac and Windows but not for Linux I'm going to speak up, write to the source and say so. If they hear from enough Linux users - and there are a lot of us - they will change this pattern. They just don't realize we're here, or think we only want free software - which I like, I'm a fan of open source, and have put some of my writing out there for free to help pay something back, since so many generous programmers contribute so much to the open source and Linux world. But if something is useful to me and costs a reasonable amount, I will pay for it. I would hate to see the open source and free software disappear, but I'm also willing to pay for something that will work in Linux if I need and like it.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 5:59 pm

I don't think software developers don't realize you're there. Most of their engineers probably work at least part time on Linux for that matter. It's a calculated decision not to support Linux. Adobe was pretty clear about this with Photoshop.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2012, 7:44 pm

I use windows, mostly because I have no reason to get Apple brand computers, and thus their operating system (I may be able to install their OS on a regular computer too but... why) and Linux... I'm seriously thinking about learning to use it, and at some point in the future I know I will but... as someone who enjoys computer games, and easy installation of software in general, I'm staying with windows. I don't have major problems with it, so I have no reason to switch just yet.

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2012, 8:27 pm

Though I do have to say that I am not impressed with how win 8 is turning out.
There may be a Linux or Mac box in my future.

Microsoft appears to be abandoning the desktop users for the trendy new tablet market.

Diagnosed in 2005

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 4:49 pm

pete1061 wrote:
Though I do have to say that I am not impressed with how win 8 is turning out.
There may be a Linux or Mac box in my future.

Microsoft appears to be abandoning the desktop users for the trendy new tablet market.

Aren't desktop computers in the corporate level one of the biggest sources of profit for microsoft?

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2012, 1:23 am

ruveyn wrote:
Rylan wrote:
Linux is 10 times better, faster to boot, more secure from viruses, more easy to use, no rubbish needlessly installed

CHOOSE LINUX!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Rylan

LINUX is not the commercial success that Windows (tm) is. Less software is created for it, so it is less a target for the hackers. Any popular operating system is going to be hacked sooner or later.

ruveyn

I think you don't know what your talking about. How can you even say less software is created for Linux when *Nix is open source??

In short, the reason we have virtually no Viruses is because the make up of our system is very secure and it is an open community. The long explanation is *nix is open source, so its source code can be viewed by anyone. This basically means, any developer can download it and spot security flaws early on and fix them. Compared to windows in which security flaws are found but can only be fixed by microsoft developers (who, like all .net developers, have major mental deficiencies) lol

Also, it is partly to do with the fact that 90% of Linux users know how to correctly set up a firewall and backups, so its a lot harder to penetrate and hold access on a linux machine, compared to point and click windows users.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:10 am

amboxer21 wrote:
Compared to windows in which security flaws are found but can only be fixed by microsoft developers (who, like all .net developers, have major mental deficiencies) lol

Do you believe yourself to be smarter than Dave Cutler?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:06 am

always used some kind of windows 'cause i could never afford a mac, nor did mac [or linux, btw] make the audio editing software that i like to use. macs are strictly high-end, for champagne budgets, things like linux are for the techno-experts, and windows is for everybody else.