Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2024, 4:55 pm

When I was born, the family already had an Apple III, an Atari 800, & an Atari 2600. Dad bought the Apple for work (but kept at home) because the school corp wouldn't. Before I came along, my parents had parties where friends would come over to play on the Atari 2600.

We still own the Ataris. Dad gave the Apple III, in the early 00s, to another new teacher. There was software the school wouldn't buy, but the old Apple still worked & printed just fine.

Dad enjoyed computers over doing stuff by hand (physical rolodex vs digital contacts management), so we have a string of PCs starting with a 286 too. Dad didn't hold me back on the PCs, so it became my thing. I still remember staying up all night while installing Win95a with him.

I also had a TI-85 & TI-92 to futz around with in high school. I programmed on them, but they were a far second to programming on a PC. Perl, C, etc were more fun than Basic.

I gave up this special interest around fifteen years ago. I still futz around some, but it's mostly to fix or minimize frustrations. (This is all on PCs. I don't get along with Apple products.)

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 12:47 am

Blue_Star wrote:
When I was born, the family already had an Apple III, an Atari 800, & an Atari 2600. Dad bought the Apple for work (but kept at home) because the school corp wouldn't. Before I came along, my parents had parties where friends would come over to play on the Atari 2600.

We still own the Ataris. Dad gave the Apple III, in the early 00s, to another new teacher. There was software the school wouldn't buy, but the old Apple still worked & printed just fine.

Dad enjoyed computers over doing stuff by hand (physical rolodex vs digital contacts management), so we have a string of PCs starting with a 286 too. Dad didn't hold me back on the PCs, so it became my thing. I still remember staying up all night while installing Win95a with him.

I also had a TI-85 & TI-92 to futz around with in high school. I programmed on them, but they were a far second to programming on a PC. Perl, C, etc were more fun than Basic.

I gave up this special interest around fifteen years ago. I still futz around some, but it's mostly to fix or minimize frustrations. (This is all on PCs. I don't get along with Apple products.)

Very cool! My dad ended up buying me a Atari 2600 as a Christmas gift about 18 years ago or so that he found at a yard sale. Very fun to play still! I remember the days of Win 95! I love the startup theme for it still.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 1:27 am

am late to the game ..Windows computer ..i think ...running win 95....many upgrades to 98 then a 486 sx processor
eventually the unknown 586 .....a rather slow almost Pentium . Win 7 programs , then xp then win8, I hate ..
A win 10 laptop , that I gave up on..Then a E reader type, by adobe , I think? then lightening struck the telephone pole outside. burnt up the win 7 running in a old win 95 case. many upgrades. Gave up and got me a android tablet .
But older brother got me started trying to learn on a Timex Sinclair. Sorry but am not a fan of the virtual or Puter worlds . Give me Pen and Paper, and on bad days a calculator too. Whatever happened yo the days of smoke signals and carrier pigeons? :oops: :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 2:33 am

Jakki wrote:
am late to the game ..Windows computer ..i think ...running win 95....many upgrades to 98 then a 486 sx processor
eventually the unknown 586 .....a rather slow almost Pentium . Win 7 programs , then xp then win8, I hate ..
A win 10 laptop , that I gave up on..Then a E reader type, by adobe , I think? then lightening struck the telephone pole outside. burnt up the win 7 running in a old win 95 case. many upgrades. Gave up and got me a android tablet .
But older brother got me started trying to learn on a Timex Sinclair. Sorry but am not a fan of the virtual or Puter worlds . Give me Pen and Paper, and on bad days a calculator too. Whatever happened yo the days of smoke signals and carrier pigeons? :oops: :roll:

Very neat! I like pen and paper also for math! Sometimes I like to try and muliply different numbers in my head just to keep my brain active. Carrier pigeons worked well during the 1st World War! I remember reading about that.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 8:40 am

First used?
2005, whatever was before Windows XP. I don't know what kind of PC.

It a computer in school.
The very first computer class I ever been into.

First owned?
2008, something i3 processor desktop with Windows XP. No internet until half a year after.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2024, 8:28 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
First used?
2005, whatever was before Windows XP. I don't know what kind of PC.

It a computer in school.
The very first computer class I ever been into.

First owned?
2008, something i3 processor desktop with Windows XP. No internet until half a year after.

Very neat! I think before XP was Windows 2000 I want to say but it could have been Windows, 98 or 95 you used too maybe. Windows XP was a good Windows system. Thank you for sharing :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:24 am

Brian0787 wrote:
Very neat! I think before XP was Windows 2000 I want to say but it could have been Windows, 98 or 95 you used too maybe. Windows XP was a good Windows system. Thank you for sharing :)

More likely Windows ME. Windows 2000 was mostly aimed at businesses, ME was the mainstream OS.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:31 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brian0787 wrote:

More likely Windows ME. Windows 2000 was mostly aimed at businesses, ME was the mainstream OS.

That's true! I remember Windows ME and you are right.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 2:52 am

some game thing

at the taxoffice there were the 'terminals' to the big national scrutinizer \in the netherlands
it was a bit of a game when all the vat-declarations came in, to type in much & fast , then the central computer would shut down, at least for hours, and then repeat

:D 8) :mrgreen:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 7:17 am

Was there a Windows NT. operating system ? ever??

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 10:36 am

Jakki wrote:
Was there a Windows NT. operating system ? ever??

Yes it was the precursor to our present-day Windows operating system. At first it was marketed to "enterprise" users. Its precursor, in turn, was the VMS operating system.

In parallel, DOS-based versions of Windows were marketed to consumers. The last of these was Windows ME. Then Windows XP came out which was a direct successor to NT, and all later versions descend from that.

The development of NT was very stressful for those involved. The main reason was that Microsoft wanted existing Windows software to run seamlessly on NT, sort of a square peg in a round hole situation. I wonder if that was a good strategy. The problem was that commercial software was so expensive then, and the hardware wasn't powerful enough to adequately support VMs, which is how the situation would be dealt with today. This probably contributed to the bad press Microsoft tended to get in the 90s. A lot of people in the media felt strongly that nobody should compete with Apple in that market, despite that many Windows based systems were better than anything Apple had at the time, except possibly where media production was concerned (an area in which Microsoft never seriously tried to compete).

Ironically Apple took a similar path. The current Apple desktop OS descends from NextStep, an OS few of us ever used, and the OS of the old "Macs" of the 90s and before was retired a long time ago.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 11:14 am

Thank you ....... has been awhile now . memory cobwebs.. :oops:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:03 pm

First ever used was probably the Apple IIs at school.
First owned is more complicated...we borrowed a B&W Macintosh for a long time around '92-'93.
Technically, first owned was probably a Mattel Aquarius that I found at a yard sale at some point. No games or tape drive or anything though, so all I could do is type BASIC into it and not be able to save it. I ended up disassembling it later and I have no idea where the parts went.
First real computer owned was IBM PC Jr. around '96.

RachObi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2024, 2:35 am

The first computer I ever owned was a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which I bought in 2001.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:49 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
First ever used was probably the Apple IIs at school.
First owned is more complicated...we borrowed a B&W Macintosh for a long time around '92-'93.
Technically, first owned was probably a Mattel Aquarius that I found at a yard sale at some point. No games or tape drive or anything though, so all I could do is type BASIC into it and not be able to save it. I ended up disassembling it later and I have no idea where the parts went.
First real computer owned was IBM PC Jr. around '96.

Very cool! Thank you for sharing! I loved playing with the Apple II's in elementary school. I have good memories of that.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2024, 2:52 am

RachObi wrote:
The first computer I ever owned was a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 which I bought in 2001.

Ah, very cool! Looks like a nice laptop from the pictures I found of it! Thank you for sharing!