Page 4 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Do you like windows??
Poll ended at 27 May 2013, 4:22 pm
I use it regularly, it is my favourite operating system 30%  30%  [ 39 ]
I only use it because i dont know how to use any others 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
I have a dual boot and use two operating systems 16%  16%  [ 20 ]
I only use it because of its compatibility 17%  17%  [ 22 ]
I dont like and i dont use it 23%  23%  [ 30 ]
I dont really mind 8%  8%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 128

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 10:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
always used some kind of windows 'cause i could never afford a mac, nor did mac [or linux, btw] make the audio editing software that i like to use. macs are strictly high-end, for champagne budgets, things like linux are for the techno-experts, and windows is for everybody else.

I believe this about sums it.

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

I dislike monopolists.
It is sad that many persons not even know the alternatives.
I use kubuntu and Win8.
Both are equally good.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

I can't think of any reason why I would want to switch to linux from windows.

Kumorigoe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jun 2012, 3:56 pm

kra17 wrote:

Becasue then you can make fun of "Windows noobz and Mac artists".

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:04 pm

kra17 wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would want to switch back to windows from linux.

peter_k
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2012, 4:41 pm

My 1st post :)
I myself don't like Windows. Linux is better, but still not excellent. The best OS for me is FreeBSD.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:59 pm

OS/2 Warp

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:05 pm

lau wrote:
kra17 wrote:

I can't think of any reason why I would want to switch back to windows from linux.

My Comparison of the Operating Systems:

Windows: Windows is kind of like living in the Ghetto of a big city, there's lots of stuff always going on, and lots of stuff that you have access to for the right price. At the same time, there is an undercurrent of knowing that something really bad is happening to other people, but still, if you mind your own business, and don't download bad stuff, you're relatively safe, sort of.

Mac: Mac users often talk about how they how free they are from all of the trappings of Windows, because many of them have shelled out big money for Mac systems, but everything is proprietary, down to a lot of the formats used, (Stuffit, Qucktime, Etc.). Mac users often like to talk about their freedom, (from MS, most likely) but is being stuck in a small, gilded cage of an OS really free?

The other Unices: Range from very usable for new users, to the stereotypical "Unix unfreindliness". You mileage will vary from OS to OS, and from Distro to Distro, but the Key factors of this group of OS's are monetary cost, IE on most cases, free for the taking, as well as customisability due to open source code, and a plethora of software free for the download. --Using many of the unixes is very similar to being a pioneer, and building your own house outside of the Microsoft Ghetto.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

lau wrote:
kra17 wrote:

This.

I was logged onto my Windows partition today and remembered how much I despise it. It is slower, buggier, not as pretty is my Cinnamon desktop, and is constantly irritating me with messages about updates.

kra17
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:17 pm

lau wrote:
kra17 wrote:

Heh, good one.
I'm a gamer though, what can linux provide me that windows can't?

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 5:58 pm

AstroGeek wrote:
lau wrote:
kra17 wrote:

This.

I was logged onto my Windows partition today and remembered how much I despise it. It is slower, buggier, not as pretty is my Cinnamon desktop, and is constantly irritating me with messages about updates.

I can understand that feeling. I was perfectly happy with IE until I bothered to start using another browsers, and now I dread it's slowness and ugliness and stuff. Someday I'll bother to switch to Linux, I just need something big for that to happen.

Still, is linux any good for gamers?

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2012, 6:13 pm

Shatbat wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
lau wrote:
kra17 wrote:

This.

I can understand that feeling. I was perfectly happy with IE until I bothered to start using another browsers, and now I dread it's slowness and ugliness and stuff. Someday I'll bother to switch to Linux, I just need something big for that to happen.

Still, is linux any good for gamers?

Not if you want access to the latest games.

Not as much effort is put into Linux graphics drivers as their Windows equivalents.

It's just generally bad news.

Ubuntu pisses me off more with update notifications than Windows does. I hope with Windows 8 they've figured out that "the answer is yes, now do it and f**k off".

pete1061
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 1:58 am

Shatbat wrote:
pete1061 wrote:
Though I do have to say that I am not impressed with how win 8 is turning out.
There may be a Linux or Mac box in my future.

Microsoft appears to be abandoning the desktop users for the trendy new tablet market.

Aren't desktop computers in the corporate level one of the biggest sources of profit for microsoft?

yes they are, but I think microsoft thinks all those businesses will run out and get tablets or touch screens.
Truth is, many businesses are still running xp (or older versions).

Microsoft is attempting to play catch-up with apple & google and jump into the tablet market.
They are just kinda doing a sloppy job, staple-gunning a touch interface on to the side of windows.

My main problem with win 8 is the look & feel of Metro. It's gawd-awful.
I have the sneaking suspicion this will be a re-play of win 95.

Maybe they will do a better job with win 9. Microsoft usually does a little better on the second try.

Diagnosed in 2005

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 6:01 am

i hate designed obsolescence! :x

lau
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 8:09 am

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Ubuntu [coarse slang intransitive verb usage deleted] more with update notifications than Windows does. I hope with Windows 8 they've figured out that "the answer is yes, now do it and [coarse slang imperative deleted]".

With Ubuntu, say, you can always tick the update manager's box to install updates without asking... or use something like:
Code:
apt-get update&&apt-get upgrade
which I use to just see whether there are any interesting updates happening.

Naturally, you have no real choice with Microsoft, as they assume you are too stupid to make one.

Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 9:17 am

lau wrote:
Code:
apt-get update&&apt-get upgrade
which I use to just see whether there are any interesting updates happening.

That proves Linux is crap. Command lines belong to the last century.

Besides, there are hundreds of Linux distro, many mutually incompatible. There are even more components, all under some incomprehensible code names. How can anyone find the right package that meets all dependences of his particular system AND solves his particular problem? No wonder Linux is, and will always the minority.

p.s. I turn my windows update off - I am not connected to broadband all the time.