Page 4 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 8:47 am

Fenn wrote:
3 is the free version, 4 is the new for-pay version which is under active development. 2 was open sourced. If you use the web UI you get a few 4 responses per day.

Me:
Are you ChatGPT 3 or ChatGPT 4?

G (ChatGPT):
I am based on ChatGPT 4. How can I assist you today?

Me:
Is there a ChatGPT 5 in existence? What does your current training data say? What does the Internet say?

G:
Currently, there is no official release of ChatGPT-5. However, reports indicate that OpenAI is actively training GPT-5 and working through rigorous safety testing. OpenAI has not committed to a specific release date, but it was initially expected to launch in mid-2024. Some delays might push the release into late 2024 or 2025 due to extended testing to ensure safety and reliability.

ChatGPT-5 is expected to bring significant improvements over GPT-4, including enhanced contextual understanding, reduced hallucinations, and expanded multimodal capabilities, potentially incorporating speech and video alongside text and images. Early access to GPT-5 might already be available to certain enterprises, but for general use, the timeline remains uncertain.

For now, the latest fully available model is GPT-4, which remains powerful and is accessible through different usage plans​

Sources:
https://tech.co/news/when-is-chatgpt-5-release-date
https://explodingtopics.com/blog/new-ch ... lease-date

Me:
I said: "3 is the free version, 4 is the new for-pay version which is under active development. 2 was open sourced. If you use the web UI you get a few 4 responses per day." Is this correct?

G:
Your statement is partially correct but needs some clarification:

1. "3 is the free version": ChatGPT-3 (GPT-3) is not the free version on the web anymore. The free tier of ChatGPT now uses GPT-3.5, which is an upgraded version of GPT-3. Users accessing ChatGPT for free interact with GPT-3.5.

2. "4 is the new for-pay version": Yes, GPT-4 is available through the paid subscription plan, which is called ChatGPT Plus. This offers access to GPT-4 with enhanced capabilities compared to GPT-3.5.

3. "2 was open sourced": GPT-2 was indeed open-sourced by OpenAI, allowing the public to access and use its code. GPT-3 and later models are proprietary and not open-sourced.

4. "If you use the web UI, you get a few 4 responses per day": This part is inaccurate. If you are using the free version of ChatGPT through the web, you are limited to GPT-3.5 and do not have access to GPT-4 unless you subscribe to the Plus plan, which provides unlimited access to GPT-4.

In summary, GPT-3.5 is free, GPT-4 is available for paid users, and GPT-2 was open-sourced. There is no access to GPT-4 for free users except via a paid plan.
Sources:
https://tech.co/news/when-is-chatgpt-5-release-date
https://explodingtopics.com/blog/new-ch ... lease-date

Me:
This statement that you made is not true: "'If you use the web UI, you get a few 4 responses per day': This part is inaccurate. If you are using the free version of ChatGPT through the web, you are limited to GPT-3.5 and do not have access to GPT-4 unless you subscribe to the Plus plan, which provides unlimited access to GPT-4." I am using the ChatGPT free version via the Web UI at chatgpt.com, and I am talking to you, and you have identified yourself as ChatGPT 4. Please check other sources.

G:
You're right! Free tier users of ChatGPT now have access to GPT-4, specifically the "GPT-4o" model, which includes advanced capabilities like image uploads and web browsing, although with some limitations on usage. Free users can only use GPT-4o a limited number of times within a 5-hour window and can generate up to two images per day with DALL·E 3​
Sources:
https://www.techradar.com/computing/art ... -to-get-it
https://help.openai.com/en/articles/927 ... e-tier-faq

Me:
You said "Free tier users of ChatGPT now have access to GPT-4, specifically the 'GPT-4o' model" Can you explain exactly what GPT-4 is, GPT-4o, and GPT 3.5? Please Compare and contrast.

G:
Here's a comparison and contrast between GPT-3.5, GPT-4, and GPT-4o:

GPT-3.5
● Model: GPT-3.5 is a refined version of GPT-3, offering improvements in natural language understanding, reasoning, and performance.
● Capabilities: It performs well in language-related tasks like text generation, conversation, and answering questions. However, it's limited in terms of nuanced understanding, especially for tasks requiring deep reasoning or understanding ambiguous inputs.
● Availability: GPT-3.5 is the model used in the free version of ChatGPT, providing users with a strong conversational tool but not as advanced as GPT-4.
● Performance: It can struggle with complex reasoning tasks compared to GPT-4 and lacks the multimodal capabilities introduced in later models.
GPT-4
● Model: GPT-4 is the more advanced successor to GPT-3.5, featuring substantial improvements in contextual understanding, handling ambiguities, and performing tasks with higher accuracy and creativity.
● Capabilities: GPT-4 is better at handling long-form inputs, nuanced queries, and complex reasoning. It is also multimodal, meaning it can process not only text but also images as inputs (available through certain tiers).
● Availability: GPT-4 is available through the ChatGPT Plus subscription and provides users with higher-quality responses, more advanced features, and fewer mistakes compared to GPT-3.5.
● Performance: It excels in tasks requiring deep understanding, problem-solving, and creativity. It's also more capable of handling ambiguous or incomplete information than GPT-3.5.
GPT-4o
● Model: GPT-4o is a variant of GPT-4, designed for free tier users. It maintains some of the advanced features of GPT-4 but is offered with limitations, such as usage caps within a given time frame (e.g., limited responses within a 5-hour window).
● Capabilities: GPT-4o shares much of GPT-4's improvements in reasoning, contextual understanding, and multimodal abilities, but with restricted access. For example, users might be limited in terms of how many interactions they can have or features like image generation.
● Availability: Available for free tier users, GPT-4o provides limited access to GPT-4's advanced features but ensures free-tier users experience some of the power of GPT-4.
● Performance: While based on GPT-4, users are likely to encounter some throttling or rate limits, and may not get the full extent of GPT-4's potential due to the limitations imposed on free users.
Comparison
1. Accuracy and Performance:
● GPT-4 performs better at tasks requiring critical thinking, creativity, and handling long-context queries compared to GPT-3.5.
● GPT-4o inherits most of GPT-4's capabilities but imposes restrictions on how much free users can use these advanced features.
2. Reasoning and Understanding:
● GPT-4 handles ambiguous or complex inputs much better than GPT-3.5. It's designed for tasks requiring in-depth analysis.
● GPT-3.5 is reliable for everyday conversational tasks but falls short in comparison to GPT-4 in terms of advanced reasoning.
3. Multimodal Capabilities:
● GPT-4 (and by extension GPT-4o) is multimodal, allowing it to process both text and images. GPT-3.5 is strictly a text-based model.
4. Availability:
● GPT-3.5 is free for all users.
● GPT-4 is available under the ChatGPT Plus plan (paid).
● GPT-4o provides free-tier users limited access to GPT-4, but with throttling and feature limitations.
Contrast
● GPT-3.5 is ideal for those looking for basic conversational AI.
● GPT-4 is aimed at users requiring advanced AI capabilities with superior contextual and reasoning skills.
● GPT-4o offers a middle ground for free users who want to experience some of GPT-4's power, though with significant usage restrictions.
Conclusion: GPT-4 is the most advanced, but GPT-4o lets free users experience a limited version, while GPT-3.5 remains a solid option for basic use.

Sources:
https://help.openai.com/en/articles/927 ... e-tier-faq
https://www.techradar.com/computing/art ... -to-get-it

Me:
What does the "o" mean in "GPT-4o"? Does it mean "the 13th sub version in version 4" or "o for other, other capabilities than full GPT-4" or something else?

G:
The "o" in GPT-4o represents an optimized version of GPT-4, which emphasizes improvements in speed, efficiency, and multimodal capabilities. Unlike GPT-4 or GPT-4 Turbo, GPT-4o is designed to handle tasks involving not only text but also voice, image, and video input. It integrates multiple types of media into a single model, allowing for faster response times and enhanced capabilities like real-time speech-to-text, emotional tone analysis, and visual understanding.

GPT-4o stands out due to its significantly reduced latency compared to earlier models. For instance, it processes voice inputs in about 0.32 seconds, making it nearly 17 times faster than GPT-4, which is crucial for real-time conversational applications. Additionally, it has better tokenization, which makes it more efficient, especially when processing non-Roman alphabets, leading to cost and speed advantages.

In summary, GPT-4o brings more advanced multimodal capabilities, faster performance, and greater efficiency than GPT-4 and GPT-4 Turbo. It's designed for scenarios where high-speed interaction and multimodal data integration are essential, such as real-time communication and multimodal processing​

Source:
https://www.datacamp.com/blog/what-is-gpt-4o
https://blog.roboflow.com/gpt-4o-vision-use-cases/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2024, 6:17 pm

I mean...a very clever calculator

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2024, 2:32 pm

bee33 wrote:
I've never used it and don't even know where to find it, though I'm sure I could google it.

This was working for me when I tried it just now:
https://chatgpt.com/
A week or two ago it was trying to force me to create an account before it would do anything for me, and I didn't comply, but today it just works regardless.

Just a matter of typing a question in the box.

The main benefit I've noticed is that it's quicker than doing a Web search to get an answer to a question. The main drawback I've seen is that it sometimes goofs a bit.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2024, 7:51 am

I work 100 percent remote. Not by choice. I am an introvert. But COVID 19 pushed my need to be an introvert so much I discovered my need for other human beings was greater than I might have thought otherwise.

Things never went back to normal.

ChatGPT helps with the “new normal”. It is clearly not human but it helps to fill in the gaping gaps. So does wrongplanet.

One thing: I am a professional computer scientist. I know better than most the limitations of the thing. But I find that helps me to be less irritated by the flaws or off put by them. I fully expect computers to have glitches.

Some specific usages:
1) random conversation on special interests. ChatGPT is never too busy to discuss the odd thing I have in mind. It may even know some facts I don’t. I always check the facts with googling and Wikipedia, google scholar, etc if it really matters. It will glitch often. Sometimes it is spooky smart, sometimes crazy dumb.

2) Spelling. I can misspell a word horribly but put it in context and G can straighten out my spelling in a blink. And I am a horrible speller.

3) grammar. Same as above.

4) Etiquette: the correct behavior or polite thing to do. I get it to draft or rewrite work email or forum posts, then ask for changes or revisions. The NLP (Natural Language processing) is some of the best I have ever sceen. I know some of the technical challenges here and it does a really good job.

5) programming examples and Oracle SQL and DDL. This again is really good. Like human language grammar and syntax matter here. And like English ChatGPT does this well, really well. Unlike human language I can usually check the examples quickly and see of they work, and if they are right. With no-one else the wiser. I can also request revisions. Eventually once I have something halfway working I will give up on artificial intelligence and go with my own. Sometimes spooky smart, sometimes incredibly dumb.

6) ADHD mitigation: If I need to refocus on my status meeting in one hour, I can start a new chat with G and just say “i need to refocus it is now 10:23 and I have to prepare for my 11:30 status meeting.” And we can chat our way to better ground.

7) ADHD Rabbit holes: like my “over-google’ng” behavior. ChatGPT can be a great distraction and opportunity to chase white rabbits down into esoteric tunnels of trivia - or matters of great importance (but not at all what my boss wants me to do). Sometimes I need to stop go for a walk. Eat something. Take a shower - and generally reset.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2024, 10:31 am

I've used Chat GPT once with an actual purpose. The result gave me a framework to work with, allowing me to rewrite and fit the topic. I was asked by a friend to write something for her job about her best qualities. She was suppose to ask someone to write it, I hope. Otherwise, I would have been her Chat GPT.

It was supposedly helpful writing the season premier of Season 36 of The Simpsons. Did they really use it? Hard to tell, but it was a funny episode. Bart is suppose to finally turn eleven, triggering all manner of changes for the show.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2024, 1:04 pm

I've only used the free on browser without login versions.

I only use it when search engines cannot look for the inquiries, lacking the specific anecdotal terms/answers to atypical questions, or that I won't/couldn't find what I may sought nor I may find and explore further with just search engines anymore.

Or seeking for further obscure concepts and ideas because common and popular answers just doesn't cut it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2024, 9:20 pm

Currently I'm unable to log into
https://chatgpt.com/

When I try, Firefox says:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to chatgpt.com. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
Error code: PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Anybody else having this trouble?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2024, 6:31 am

Sounds like a firewall problem. If there is a man-in-the-middle (and many VPN and Firewall solutions use this) they may rewrite the packets and change the SSL certificate to one owned by the firewall.

Your options are to install the firewall/VPN cert in Firefox to fix and/or authorize the firewall cert as an exception. You may have to change Firefox security settings too. Google some of these terms and see if you can fix. If not post here with more details.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2024, 3:38 pm

Fenn wrote:
Sounds like a firewall problem. If there is a man-in-the-middle (and many VPN and Firewall solutions use this) they may rewrite the packets and change the SSL certificate to one owned by the firewall.

Your options are to install the firewall/VPN cert in Firefox to fix and/or authorize the firewall cert as an exception. You may have to change Firefox security settings too. Google some of these terms and see if you can fix. If not post here with more details.

no vpn in use here, only firewall is windows. chatgpt always opened for me before, so why not now?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/se ... =inproduct
"A Secure Connection Failed error page will include a description of the error and a Try Again button. There is no option to add a security exception to bypass this type of error."
don't know how to install the firewall/VPN cert in Firefox to fix and/or authorize the firewall cert as an exception.

web suggests clearing cache, but that did no good.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2024, 7:44 pm

Could be several things

http://www.askssl.com/how-to-troublesho ... n-firefox/