Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 5:56 am

Thought this was cool. Love Windows 95, 98, ME and XP startup!

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2024, 5:58 am

Also all Mac startups :)

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 7:52 am

First use, silicon graphics for Catia ,first owned Pentium 90, WIN 3.11. Took a lot of setting up, but then worked fine.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2024, 7:54 am

First computer used, Apple ][ Plus.
First computer owned, Apple //e.
First Intel based computer used, NCR Model 4.
First Intel based computer owned, Dell 325.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2024, 9:52 am

I'm not sure about the first computer I ever owned, but the first ever used was either an Apple IIe at school or a Burroughs B20 (not sure which model) that my dad would sometimes bring home from work...it had this game on it, Rats, that was equal parts bizarre and amusing.

arjen37
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Oct 2024, 3:31 pm

I was 15, so 1990, i got my first PC.
I already had interest in the Commodore 64, but wasn't allowed to buy one.

We got a Tulip 80286 with 40 MB HDD, 3.5" and 5.25" floppy disk, 1 MB memory and a VGA-256 color monitor. And a rectangular mouse.
A beast for that time.

Later, when we also got Windows 2.0 we bought a whopping 2 MB of memory extra.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Today, 3:24 pm

First one I ever used was an RML 380Z. First one I owned: a Sinclair ZX Spectrum.

JamesW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Today, 3:29 pm

MaxE wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Was there a Windows NT. operating system ? ever??

Yes it was the precursor to our present-day Windows operating system. At first it was marketed to "enterprise" users. Its precursor, in turn, was the VMS operating system.

In parallel, DOS-based versions of Windows were marketed to consumers. The last of these was Windows ME. Then Windows XP came out which was a direct successor to NT, and all later versions descend from that.

The development of NT was very stressful for those involved. The main reason was that Microsoft wanted existing Windows software to run seamlessly on NT, sort of a square peg in a round hole situation. I wonder if that was a good strategy. The problem was that commercial software was so expensive then, and the hardware wasn't powerful enough to adequately support VMs, which is how the situation would be dealt with today. This probably contributed to the bad press Microsoft tended to get in the 90s. A lot of people in the media felt strongly that nobody should compete with Apple in that market, despite that many Windows based systems were better than anything Apple had at the time, except possibly where media production was concerned (an area in which Microsoft never seriously tried to compete).

Ironically Apple took a similar path. The current Apple desktop OS descends from NextStep, an OS few of us ever used, and the OS of the old "Macs" of the 90s and before was retired a long time ago.

I used Next in the 90s. I wrote projects using Apple Yellow Box, which produced binaries which ran on Windows, MacOS and NextStep. The language was Objective-C. Nobody used it at the time, and I put it in a corner of my CV and forgot about it for years, until the first iPhones came out and suddenly my phone started ringing off the hook.

Gentleman Argentum
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 5:24 pm

JamesW wrote:
I used Next in the 90s. I wrote projects using Apple Yellow Box, which produced binaries which ran on Windows, MacOS and NextStep. The language was Objective-C. Nobody used it at the time, and I put it in a corner of my CV and forgot about it for years, until the first iPhones came out and suddenly my phone started ringing off the hook.

Ha ha. I remember Next computers.

I began with the Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer. It was a very big deal that the computer output color graphics to a television set. That was a big feature. It booted into COCO BASIC, which also had an operating system embedded in it. So, I learned programming right away as a teenager.