Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 11:23 pm

roadracer wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
The quad core machine has had both vista and ubuntu on it. Vista barely touches cores 3 and 4.

Interesting, if you flip back a couple pages, you see that vista is doing a good job at this on my Intel core 2 quad. Even so I got to looking at cpu usage just to see if this really is a problem. It seems to even it out acros all cores pretty well. I looked at my ubuntu computer with a Intel core 2 duo, and it seems to do just as good of a job.

I agree with that. Xp runs both my cores pretty well.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:24 pm

:lol:

illogicaljim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2009, 10:02 am

I've just discovered how it feels to be bitch-slapped by Vista after several months of applauding its stability :?

Here goes,

Last night I tried to repartition my hard disk to give Vista more space, something I have done a hundred times before without incident. Instead of a neatly partitioned hard disk I ended up with a corrupted one which refused to boot even after I tried (and failed!) using my recovery disk to fix the installation. In the end I gave up and installed Ubuntu instead (guess I'll have to install my old copy of XP if I want to play games though).

Ah yes, my conclusion?

Vista must be destroyed at all costs!

:evil:
:evil: :evil:

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 11:38 pm

illogicaljim wrote:
I've just discovered how it feels to be bitch-slapped by Vista after several months of applauding its stability :?

Here goes,

Last night I tried to repartition my hard disk to give Vista more space, something I have done a hundred times before without incident. Instead of a neatly partitioned hard disk I ended up with a corrupted one which refused to boot even after I tried (and failed!) using my recovery disk to fix the installation. In the end I gave up and installed Ubuntu instead (guess I'll have to install my old copy of XP if I want to play games though).

Ah yes, my conclusion?

Your hard disk was probably to fragmented, and as everyone knows, before you ever do something like change partitions, you always BACKUP your system. Repartitioning a hard drive is risky with ANY operating system you use, because obviosly if something goes wrong, you could loose data. If you did back up your system and it did not work then you used the wrong type of backup. Ideally you should have a image of the critical files, then how ever you want to backup the rest of your files. I have had plenty of hard drive failures, but I dont repartition anything unless it is a new drive, I am setting up a system, or I absolutly have to. Heck even Ubuntu warns about this and the potential loss of data.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

21 Mar 2009, 1:50 am

illogicaljim wrote:

Here goes,

Ah yes, my conclusion?

What repartitioning software did you use? (I would guess that you use some standard software which came with Vista)

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 6:35 pm

Get Windows XP Professional or Windows 7 Business and you should be fine. I have Windows 7 on a Athlon XP 2100+ w/ 512MB Memory and its flying. Thats a 7-Year old system.

ButtCoffee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Mar 2009, 7:34 pm

on vista you can only partition up to half your disk space.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 12:03 am

ButtCoffee wrote:

:scratch: I am not sure where you heard that? You can partition it any way you like, just as long as your primary is big enough, and you are using the right file system format.

Ashton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Mar 2009, 3:47 am

ButtCoffee wrote:

Your avatar is soo ironic.....

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:35 am

khelben1979 wrote:
What repartitioning software did you use? (I would guess that you use some standard software which came with Vista)

Gparted through a Linux livecd is, I think, the best way to partition a disk. Apple Disk Utility (in OS X) is impressive in its ability to nondestructively resize mounted partitions, but it is somewhat limited in what you can do with it and can get confused by more "exotic" partition schemes.

mmstick
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2009, 6:35 pm

Will you people leave Windows Vista alone.
If you don't want to update you don't have to...
All of the problems you people are experiencing are problems that you the user have created yourself.

If it bugs you that much then move to Linux.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 7:38 pm

mmstick wrote:
Will you people leave Windows Vista alone.
If you don't want to update you don't have to...

Most computers sold today come with Vista preinstalled, and XP is often not an option. Linux is probably not the best choice for many non-technical users.

Quote:
All of the problems you people are experiencing are problems that you the user have created yourself.

BS. Vista is the only OS I have ever used that gave me problems with my HP printer. It wasn't anything I did, it's that Vista couldn't handle the drivers even when they were spoon-fed to it through the CD that came with the printer. Heck, Debian on my ancient G3 iMac managed to find and configure printing over my home network without me even realizing it, and certainly without spending 45 minutes installing a driver. Yes, automatic network printing out of the box. Vista couldn't even print when given a direct USB connection to the printer and a Vista-specific driver straight from the manufacturer. And I didn't make Vista slow. I cut out a bunch of services (why they would all be on by default is beyond me) and switched to Avast! instead of Symantec, and Vista is still slow.

Quote:
If it bugs you that much then move to Linux.

Move to Linux? :lol: I was using Linux before I ever even touched Windows. :P I gave Windows a chance, and thus far it has not demonstrated that it is worthy of the 50GB partition I currently have for it. Perhaps Vista has worked better for you, but for me it has been nothing but trouble. Whenever I get around to repartitioning my whole drive, it's going to be *nix-only.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 4:30 am

GParted also comes on a liveCD of its own. You dont have to go through that boot screen of a install liveCD.

Oh, and welcome back gamefreak.

Shadowgirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2009, 1:23 pm

I heard it was really stupid. Thats why I'm sticking with XP.

Does God Exist? Here is proof he does.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/is ... 2godMANp2w

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 8:51 pm

roadracer wrote:
Really though, I max out my current setup easly. Asus p5q? MB, 8gb ddr2 800mhz, core 2 quad 3ghz, 2 seagate hdd's in raid 0, gforce 9800 gt. It is not really anything special, probably average. That is why I want to upgrade, get things going fast again.

Out of curiosity, I just tried to max out my system in Ubuntu, and failed. Right now, I am running Firefox, Thunderbird, Compiz Fusion, Seamonkey, Opera, Add/Remove, eboard, OpenOffice 3, Pidgin, Rhythmbox, TeXMaker, Cheese Webcam Booth, a terminal emulator, a text editor, system monitor, the GIMP, and three (3) virtual machines, one of which is XP running Firefox, IE, Windows Media Player, and Outlook Express. It took all of that just to get my memory usage to crack 3GB. All four of my desktops are now extremely cluttered. The only noticeable change in performance is that my desktop cube spins slightly slower. Barely noticeable.

In short, in order to even use 3/4 of my system's power, I had to start up every application I ever use, and then some as I also loaded up back-up programs (I've got five web browsers running at the moment) and applications that I don't really use. There does not seem to be any conceivable way for me, in Ubuntu, to use more memory than my computer has. I am currently downloading a number of Linux games, though, including some graphics-intensive ones such as Doom clones, etc. Perhaps if I get enough of those and just load them all at the same time I'll be able to max out my system.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2009, 10:51 pm

Orwell... you could add Golly to your mix, as it can eat all of your memory, eventually, I suspect. It will also take any CPU time you have spare. And it's pretty: Image

(For more prettiness, throw in Xaos, too, and set it to autopilot,with a nice lot of extra iterations)