Mac 41%  41%  [ 21 ]
PC 55%  55%  [ 28 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 51

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2010, 11:17 pm

macs get cracked, get virushes, crash, use outdated tech, dont allow custimization, cost an arm and a leg, are try to be a religion, so PC

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2010, 3:02 am

I don't get Mac vs. PC war, they are both PCs except one is shipped with a better OS (Mac OS X) and the other is shipped with a pile of s**t installed on it (Windows). I prefer to build the computers myself and install what ever OS I feel like.

Mac OS X is great because its based on FreeBSD (monolithic part of kernel, derived from BSD) and Mach (micro kernel part of kernel, also derived from BSD), the only bad part about Mac OS X is command line is a second class citizen. If Mac OS X wasn't based on BSD it most likely would turn out to be a failure like Windows.

By the way, I am a die-hard Linux user and might be migrating to or at least be using NetBSD and FreeBSD on a daily basis.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 2:03 pm

I really dislike it when people say mach is derived from bsd when it was meant as a replacement. I also dislike it when people say OSX is derived freebsd when very clearly its derived from a previously proprietary branch of mach. Isnt calling Mach UNIX a little disrespectful to the people who developed Mach, who obviously hated the available UNIX kernels to the point of wanting to ditch them and replace them?

lxuser
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2010, 2:58 pm

TOGGI3 wrote:
I really dislike it when people say mach is derived from bsd when it was meant as a replacement. I also dislike it when people say OSX is derived freebsd when very clearly its derived from a previously proprietary branch of mach. Isnt calling Mach UNIX a little disrespectful to the people who developed Mach, who obviously hated the available UNIX kernels to the point of wanting to ditch them and replace them?

I am not trying to insult you, but XNU (Mac OS X kernel) is a hybrid kernel just let you know. The modular part of its is derived from Mach and the monolithic part is derived from FreeBSD. Yes Mach was designed as a replacement to the monolithic UNIX kernel, but a lot of its code was borrowed from BSD. The only part of XNU Apple didn't borrow code for was I/O Kit.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2010, 3:38 pm

lxuser wrote:
TOGGI3 wrote:

I am not trying to insult you, but XNU (Mac OS X kernel) is a hybrid kernel just let you know. The modular part of its is derived from Mach and the monolithic part is derived from FreeBSD. Yes Mach was designed as a replacement to the monolithic UNIX kernel, but a lot of its code was borrowed from BSD. The only part of XNU Apple didn't borrow code for was I/O Kit.

ah alright, that makes a bit of sense. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention, I did not think it actually contained portions of freebsd.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 3:46 pm

They also took significant chunks of the FreeBSD userland utilities, and a few bits from NetBSD.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 7:41 pm

in reference to my last post I'd rather be a Maccie than a PC'er anways as the adaptive comp system I got 5 years ago this upcoming june, has, since about 4 years ago this upcoming june had to be taken back to the place I was issued it from roughly every six - seven monthe like clockwork to have it defragged, wiped, reformatted and what ever else'd because of constant and consistent infections, and not just by your standard viruses or spyware either, mainly it's been trojans. I'm frankly bloody well sick of it and according to my friend who's grown up on Macs they are the superior machines because their OS's as well as the Linux OS are more difficult to infect. Is there any accuracy in this opinion?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:55 pm

LostInBed wrote:
according to my friend who's grown up on Macs they are the superior machines because their OS's as well as the Linux OS are more difficult to infect. Is there any accuracy in this opinion?

It is debated whether Mac and Linux are more difficult to infect than Windows, but it is an empirical fact that they are not infected by malware. As far as superior systems, I think that stems more from the performance gains on a UNIX system, as well as the standards and interoperability that exist.

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:57 pm

LostInBed wrote:
in reference to my last post I'd rather be a Maccie than a PC'er anways as the adaptive comp system I got 5 years ago this upcoming june, has, since about 4 years ago this upcoming june had to be taken back to the place I was issued it from roughly every six - seven monthe like clockwork to have it defragged, wiped, reformatted and what ever else'd because of constant and consistent infections, and not just by your standard viruses or spyware either, mainly it's been trojans. I'm frankly bloody well sick of it and according to my friend who's grown up on Macs they are the superior machines because their OS's as well as the Linux OS are more difficult to infect. Is there any accuracy in this opinion?

I have been using my Mac for almost 2 years and I have never gotten a virus, even though I regularly go to "bad" sites, as well as downloading a lot of software from the internet. Parts of my computer or my OS get corrupted from time to time, but it's nothing quitting applications or restarting the computer hasn't invariably fixed. Macs are more expensive, but the money you save from not having to bring your computer in to get viruses removed from it more than makes up for it.

By the way, you can defrag or wipe your hard drive very easily yourself with some simple DOS commands. Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands
Be careful when doing this, though. Windows is unpredictable, and doing this stuff has been known to lead to some pretty nasty effects.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:17 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:

Not only have I given Ubuntu more than a cursory glance, I've written drivers and done huge amounts of other software development on it (various versions from 8.04 to 9.10, both 32- and 64-bit).

Fair enough, at least we are disagreeing from a stand point of experience and not heresay.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

LordoftheMonkeys
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:01 pm

The thing I like about my Mac is, whenever I have a problem with it, it fixes itself. It's like it has its own built-in immune system.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 12:17 pm

MyFutureSelfnMe wrote:
For the older consoles, as far as I can tell, the emulators *are* the real thing, for all intents and purposes. I could plug a Super Nintendo into my Sony XBR through the composite video port, but using the computer through the HDMI port gives me a clearer version of exactly the same picture, exactly the same gameplay, and the same controller.

I should add that this was also more or less true when I was playing with Nesticle in 1997. I had a Gravis Gamepad, and it was just as good as having a Nintendo even then.

TOGGI3 wrote:

Very few people care about the difference.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2010, 1:05 pm

I own a few PCs and a few Macs. I prefer the Macs though.

maleb
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2010, 3:49 pm

Mac vs Windows vs Linux is, for the most part, always a purely emotional debate. I see very little tangible or meaningful specifics being considered. Just a lot of fluff and groundless arguments.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2010, 6:52 pm

LordoftheMonkeys, or any othe Mac usres on this thred have you ever heard of the software Pnc(Pick n Click)Net and do you know if there's a version for Mac?

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2010, 9:56 pm

I like Mac, Linux and PC, but I dont think I would have a PC if I had a brand new Mac with all the graphics programs that I have bought for my PC. I have Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, and Quark Xpress on my PC. They are all far too expensive to buy again right now, so I have to keep the PC.

I am learning Linux and I really like it. I installed Ubuntu on my laptop because I caught a virus when it had Windows XP. The only way to save it was to reinstall the OS, and I didn't have a CD. I was able to burn a cd of Ubuntu from the Internet for free. It was the best thing I could do at the time to save my laptop, and I am glad I did it. I love Linux!