Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2009, 5:05 pm

A detailed, functional artificial human brain can be built within the next 10 years, a leading scientist has claimed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8164060.stm

excited? scared?

i love sf so although i expected this, i didn't expect it so soon. and if they do it, i wonder how long would it take to get to the creative part i.e. machine producing something radically new.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 5:25 pm

AnotherOne wrote:
excited? scared?

Credulous? Not me.

Boasting before the fact is a game for scientists hunting for funding.

I'm still waiting for my AI, my flying car, my fiber optic computer, a cure for senescence, a shorter working week through labour saving devices, clean fusion, a cure for cancer, and so on for hours and hours.

Those scientists could work up their funding by selling their services as psychics.

But I bet they'd go broke.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 5:37 pm

hmm. more excited than not. (though when i first saw it, i thought, "what?") be nice for those with a history of aneurysms in the family, etc.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jul 2009, 6:04 pm

It is exciting but I have to agree with one of the above posters that you can't believe predictions. When I was 5 years old I honestly believed there was such a thing as a flying car because another kid in the playground told me people were going to start selling them. I spent almost my whole childhood thinking it would sooner or later come and I could fly over all the people I didn't want to be around.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 7:44 pm

YESSS! Now we are but a few steps from mapping my brain's electrical impulses and downloading me into a computer, then back into a clone of my younger svelte self! I'll be immortal! Just think of it -- being able to post on WP FOREVER!

No... wait...

But maybe I could delete some bad memories? Or finally be able to master some of those "Sue sells sea shells..." tongue-twisters? Or... or people will be all like "Do you know karate" and I'll be all like "I do now dude... like excellent" <cue air guitar> Bwadadadalalada...

-- Keanu Aspis, esquire

Aoi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 8:59 pm

Even Ray Kurzweill isn't that optimistic in his predictions for when an artificial brain will be built. And many in the AI community consider his predictions very optimistic.

But my favorite part was the claim at the end of the article: "There are two billion people on the planet affected by mental disorder".

Almost one third of the planet's population affected by a mental disorder?

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2009, 9:07 pm

that i do not know much about it however i looked it over a bit and the guy looks good. the difference is that he comes from bio-medical or biomolecular side so thus it may be a completely different ballgame from AI neural networks people.

the other thing is that it seems that it is just a scale problem at this point (a difference compared to fusion which requires new materials/schemes to develop). he started already with a rat brain.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 9:11 pm

Sounds like something out of Ghost in the Shell.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 9:19 pm

And despite all it's rage, it was still just a rat in a cage. Well, rat brain in a virtual cage anyway...

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2009, 10:22 pm

roxas, it is all artificial at this point it is just to model thinking. and it is a part of the brain no sensory stuff, no the older parts of brain with instincts and stuff.

vipera: it is scary how our precious gray mass is sensitive to simple molecules (ritalin ?). i consider that a cage.

i don't know if you are old enough but i remember time w/o web. man in just a decade it changed everything, how easy is now to get info or meet people with same interests and problems, do online education. it went like that in no-time and now we are used to it like it is nothing (duh...). amazing, like tv and plastics.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 2:10 am

I, for one, am excited at the food source for our zombie overlords.

Last edited by Fuzzy on 24 Jul 2009, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 8:32 am

maybe a computer with the capabilities of the human brain. The software's gonna take a while longer...;)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 8:36 am

AnotherOne wrote:
A detailed, functional artificial human brain can be built within the next 10 years, a leading scientist has claimed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8164060.stm

excited? scared?

i love sf so although i expected this, i didn't expect it so soon. and if they do it, i wonder how long would it take to get to the creative part i.e. machine producing something radically new.

I believe Angelic Beings will fly out of my rectum, before an artificial entity with the capability of a human brain is built.

Yodah says: Do not your breath hold until developed is an artificial brain, else blue turn you will

ruveyn

AnotherOne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2009, 9:33 am

the guy is modeling neurons and connections between them so it is a model of a functioning brain.
yes, there is a question how reliable is this and I believe that now they are in a process of publishing data for a rat's brain so we will see if this is going to work. it is goung to be a good indicator if their approach is sound.

ruveyn: beliefs are one and reality is other. i could never figure how electron can be a particle and wave at the same time but experiments say it is.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 12:34 pm

AnotherOne wrote:

ruveyn: beliefs are one and reality is other. i could never figure how electron can be a particle and wave at the same time but experiments say it is.

Electrons (and other subatomic entities) behave like waves when interacted with in some ways and like particles when interacted with in other ways. "Waves" and "Particles" are descriptive terms, not absolute designators.

ruveyn