Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2009, 12:28 am

I run a Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11, and software updates have hit several snags.

Two problems:

My iTunes Store access is blocked because I don't have Safari 4.0.3 installed. The only way to have it installed is to have Security Update 2009-005 installed first. There's a problem though: the update the mac sends me is Intel-based. The last time I installed anything involving Intel, it killed the hard drive. Is there a possibility to get a different version of this Security Update?

Also, something's wrong with updating the flashplayer. Whenever I want to access Amazon.com samples, it keeps refusing unless I install Flash 8.0.0.0. It sent the link to a much newer version, so I installed it. Yet it still says I need to install a better flashplayer. Advice please?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 1:08 am

Apple is pretty much leaving PPC users out in the cold now that they've completed the Intel transition. Try running the updates again (make sure to have backups of everything in case they break stuff too badly) and if you can get Safari 4 on there, it should fix the flash player as well. If that doesn't work, well, that basically means Apple is no longer supporting your machine. At some point you'll probably be forced to upgrade to a newer computer.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 1:57 am

1.- Here's the 2009-005 security update for Tiger PPC: link
2.- what iTunes version are you using
3.- Question: You downloaded Safari 4 for Tiger? there's a checkmark for the Tiger version.

About the Flash issue, does Firefox or Navigator run Flash well?
Here's the flash 10 version, and here is an old 9.0 version.
I'd suggest you to first download the security update and then check if Flash and iTunes work.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2009, 4:58 am

So, in the future PC vs MAC will be PC vs PC... - lol...

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2009, 12:19 am

So far now the Flashplayer's working. My internet made an error and it sent a wrong request about updating it. Now my Flashplayer problem is no longer a problem.

The only thing is the Security Update. Now I'm having doubts it was even an Intel-based version that killed the hard drive, but instead a PowerPC-based one. My information revealed the processor runs an Intel Core 2 Duo. But I'm still thinking on a decision. My sister runs a similar Macbook so she's giving me info on what to do.

My iTunes has just changed over to Version 9.0, which apparently needs that Safari update to access the store.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2009, 7:24 am

What problem did Software Update?

ruveyn