Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 8:56 am

Until recently any sound on my computer could play fine (such as flash animations and Windows sounds). But now there is no jingle when I start up and internet animations are silent. It's nothing wrong with the speakers; they're fine. Sound will only play in dedicated applications such as iTunes or FL Studio, and media players.

I think a codec is missing, but can anyone help me?

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 1:13 pm

hello deep techno, have u tryede changing the volume levels in advanced volume controls?? sometimes wav or master volume control will take over internat animation and internet related volume controls. also have u tryed checking sound/audio drivers to make sure they are up to date?? anywy what OS are you using??

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2006, 1:43 pm

I'm using Windows XP.
It has nothing do do with the volume controls - they're what they should be.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 6:47 am

ok have you looked in drivers on harddrive for any errors and needing of updates?? have you done a system restore then this happening?? reason i ask is sometimes system restore curropts the drivers that are responsible for music and pc noises.

please try scandisking and defrag this might clear it up if that dont work check drivers for sound for errors and update them.

hope this helps

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 7:08 am

I haven't restoerd my computer recently - the last time I did was about 10 months ago.
Will someone be able to tell me where I can see my cound drivers and codecs? I am good at computers and using them and how lots of things work within software, but I am by no means a perfectionist.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 1:29 pm

Sometimes when I have viruses it does the same thing, so I would scan and delete any viruses. By the way, I use Windows XP too.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2006, 1:34 pm

I think I know what it is. When I installed the full version of FL Studio 6 (music making software) it most likely replaced the OS' codecs with its own.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2006, 11:13 am

deep-techno wrote:
I haven't restoerd my computer recently - the last time I did was about 10 months ago.
Will someone be able to tell me where I can see my cound drivers and codecs? I am good at computers and using them and how lots of things work within software, but I am by no means a perfectionist.

Right click my computer click properties, click hardware then click device manager. Once in device manager click on sound, video and game controllers. In their it should tell you all the installed drivers and codecs in their.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2006, 2:44 am

Here are a few things to try
Start>run type control panel pick sounds and Audio devices>sounds>sound scheme> what does it say ? if it says no sound that is the reason for no windows sounds. Did you download firefox and not allow addons in the tools setting that would stop flash from even being install but you say you can see flash. In flash you can allow a site to use audio or even video check those you might have done a flash only mute or do not allow sound. And lastly yes the sound drivers could be buggy.