Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 6:19 am

Hey.
I installed Backtrack 5 KDE Linux on my PC with the following specs:
7500 LE 256MB (Pice of rubbish if you want my opinion. Im upgrading to a GT 220 soon)
3GB DDR 2 Ram
Intel VIIV Dual Core 2.9 Ghz CPU

I successfully installed Backtrack 5 no issues.
Until I booted for the first time.
I had exactly the same problem with trinity.
When it boots it shows the Backtrack 5 background then goes to full screen terminal (no GUI) and asks me to login with ROOT.
So I do.
Then I type startx.
Screen goes blank for 1 microsecond.
THEN it says Critical Error: No screens found. (Thats not exactly what it says this is from the top of my head)
Please help.
I would install Kubuntu, but I have lost the ISO and my internet speeds are too slow to download Kubuntu again. (Yes, I have been capped until tomorrow)
I really need Backtrack 5 running right now if I can help it.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2011, 7:38 am

Check for clues in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Sounds like the display driver is failing/missing, or /etc/X11/xorg.conf is really screwed up (unlikely, since it's just been installed).

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

I have an 8600 @ desktop and I have the same problem with most most recent x86_64 kernels and the proprietary drivers, in most distros. All my vt's get spammed with errors about libdrm-nouvae. X won't start at all. Only workaround I found was to go x86. Obviously not ideal.

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 1:30 pm

First thing to try would be a doing a xorg -configure, as root. Then backup your old xorg.conf and copy the newly generated one from root's home directory. Or if you have the nvidia drivers installed you can try nvidia-xconfig (or something along those lines, check the documentation for the nvidia drivers).

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Tom_Kakes wrote:
I have an 8600 @ desktop and I have the same problem with most most recent x86_64 kernels and the proprietary drivers, in most distros. All my vt's get spammed with errors about libdrm-nouvae. X won't start at all. Only workaround I found was to go x86. Obviously not ideal.
Noveau is the OSS driver, not a proprietary driver, and it's probably one of the more rapidly moving development areas at the moment. I'm not sure it's really at "production quality" yet, with certain hardware.
But because I've only had a few very minor problems with NVIDIA's proprietary drivers over a few years on several distros, I've always stuck with them although this is only on x86 hardware. I've heard similar reports for the ATI proprietary binaries too.
On the other hand, because the proprietary NVIDIA binaries don't yet support KMS I have a rather tacky boot screen - but I can easily live with that, knowing that once booted the video hardware is thoroughly supported.

Incidentally: the error messages appearing on all your VTs could likely be fixed by tweaking syslog.conf - some distros seem to have the default error reporting set to "maximum chattiness". :wink:

Tom_Kakes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Cornflake wrote:

Incidentally: the error messages appearing on all your VTs could likely be fixed by tweaking syslog.conf - some distros seem to have the default error reporting set to "maximum chattiness". :wink:

Thanks for that! It just helped me solve another issue on my debian squeeze install. I was being spammed with "unable to enumerate USB device on port 9". I dont have a port 9 and after some googling it turned out to to be that my USB bus will be unable to power port 9, due to insuficent power. Which is not really a problem for me.

8)

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2011, 10:02 am

Cornflake wrote:
Check for clues in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Sounds like the display driver is failing/missing, or /etc/X11/xorg.conf is really screwed up (unlikely, since it's just been installed).

How do I check the XORG file over?
What command is it?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

It's a plain text file - just use your usual editor to read it or if all else fails, do: less /var/log/Xorg.0.log and page through it using the cursor keys.

[ETA: or for a lightning quick summary of possible problem areas, do: grep "^(EE\|^(WW" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Lines flagged with EE are errors and those with WW are warnings. Some warnings or errors may be fairly trivial like missing X11 fonts, or failing to load the freetype module - but stuff referencing display drivers would be much more significant]