Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

Valvo? Brimar? Rca GE and Sylvania.. anyone else out there a user of this older technology?
Surely the green glow of a fresh eye tube hasn't been forgotten?
in all seriousness are there any fans out there who seek to make their own?

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 2:16 pm

If you're talking about CRT my 36" Sony CRT-HDTV looks absolutely amazing when the video settings are adjusted correctly.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 2:28 pm

Venger wrote:
If you're talking about CRT my 36" Sony CRT-HDTV looks absolutely amazing when the video settings are adjusted correctly.

Hmmm there is nothing quite like a true CRT display , even better a Sony made CRT. do you know its ID number? ( example : KV-36XBR400)?

that aside I ask this as I have been working on manufacturing New tubes and I was hoping if anyone here knew of the process used to shape the shoulder style glass envelopes? or anyone here have the pleasure of owing a 6T5 eye tube? I cant seem to get the grid assembly right...

Last edited by Telefunkenfan on 20 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

KV-36HS500

I sincerely believe it looks better than most newer HDTVs if the video settings are adjusted perfect for the individual video game I'm playing. And if I'm sitting the correct distance from the screen which is pretty close.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 2:56 pm

Venger wrote:
KV-36HS500

I sincerely believe it looks better than most newer HDTVs if the video settings are adjusted perfect for the individual video game I'm playing. And if I'm sitting the correct distance from the screen which is pretty close.

I agree with that sentiment but then again I prefer CRT displays from a " repair man" perspective as well as a cartridge gamer CRT sets can still be repaired and modified if need be.But you are right contrast& color quality can be better in a properly calibrated circuit.there is also just siple preference and familiarity.
I don't see all the hype about 1080I or P anyway.. at some point( I forget what definition level it is) the brain cannot process anymore visual information. But some will tell me I am wrong or dumb..so be it.
adding to that it is still possible to "home make" CRT's...such is impossible for LCD sets..

Goose25
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2011, 3:14 pm

Haven't considered whether or not I'm a fan of "eye tubes" but I sure like EIMAC tubes! :) Had a friend who was a broadcast engineer (and fellow amateur radio op) and I used to love the glow from the 3-500Z. Other faves: 4-400, 572B, the versatile 811, and the 4-125 ;).

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

I collected old tube radios when I was a teen in the early 90s, then for a time in the late 90s I collected NOS tubes themselves. I must have a Telefunken tube somewhere.

I always wanted a Telefunken tube radio, and a transistor radio. I have a British made transistor radio from the 60s, it still has the "licence sticker" from the days when all UK radios had to be licensed. I have a clock radio from Spain that looks really cool. I wanted to get a German language tube set from Spain, but the shipping was too much. :cry: (I speak Spanish.) I LOVED Ebay back in the day, and loved going on sites for different countries. I bought several cool things, including a British Lloytron alarm clock that looks kinda like a UFO.

Anyway, back to tubes, I have a GE 6550A that was made by MPD in Kentucky as part of the last tube run made in the USA, my tube is dated 03-93. (The line was shut down in August 1993.) I also have a Yugoslavian Elekstronska Industrija (EI) tube from the old Yugoslavian factory that was destroyed in the Balkan wars. I have examples of Sovtek, Svetlana, and Tesla tubes as well. I have a Marconi tube that was apparently made in Italy and sold to the Swedish military. I have an old Zenith tube still sealed in its box. I have a lot of cool tubes.

Last edited by pezar on 20 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

Oh yeah, I have a Sylvania tube that is marked M-R, such tubes were made during World War 2 for the civilian market as part of a special permit from the War Materials Board in the USA that allowed "maintenance and replacement" goods to be manufactured at a time when ALL other civilian production had ceased. Such tubes are not easy to find, I searched high and low for two years to get my hands on one.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 6:13 pm

Goose25 wrote:
Haven't considered whether or not I'm a fan of "eye tubes" but I sure like EIMAC tubes! :) Had a friend who was a broadcast engineer (and fellow amateur radio op) and I used to love the glow from the 3-500Z. Other faves: 4-400, 572B, the versatile 811, and the 4-125 ;).

had a gassy 3-500Z once... the arcing was incredible but then again my fault for buying one of those cheap ? marked tubes.. if memory serve it's filaments draw close to 15 amps; potent but reasonable.
ahh but the wonderful 811( A versions as well) power triode, got more designs on the board that require that very tube than I can afford to build. shame the Chinese versions are still not up to snuff in my opinion.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

pezar wrote:
I collected old tube radios when I was a teen in the early 90s, then for a time in the late 90s I collected NOS tubes themselves. I must have a Telefunken tube somewhere.

I always wanted a Telefunken tube radio, and a transistor radio. I have a British made transistor radio from the 60s, it still has the "licence sticker" from the days when all UK radios had to be licensed. I have a clock radio from Spain that looks really cool. I wanted to get a German language tube set from Spain, but the shipping was too much. :cry: (I speak Spanish.) I LOVED Ebay back in the day, and loved going on sites for different countries. I bought several cool things, including a British Lloytron alarm clock that looks kinda like a UFO.

Anyway, back to tubes, I have a GE 6550A that was made by MPD in Kentucky as part of the last tube run made in the USA, my tube is dated 03-93. (The line was shut down in August 1993.) I also have a Yugoslavian Elekstronska Industrija (EI) tube from the old Yugoslavian factory that was destroyed in the Balkan wars. I have examples of Sovtek, Svetlana, and Tesla tubes as well. I have a Marconi tube that was apparently made in Italy and sold to the Swedish military. I have an old Zenith tube still sealed in its box. I have a lot of cool tubes.
ahhh I may be able to help if you still want a Telefunken radio..I must as though: what decade do you prefer? I can't promise a Rundfunk from the war but I certainly know where to go.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

LCD>>>>>>>>>>CRT

'nuff said.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:57 pm

Goose25 wrote:

had a friend-also a ham-home make a 2 4-1000z amplifier-talk about keeping the room warm in the winter

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

Telefunkenfan wrote:
Valvo? Brimar? Rca GE and Sylvania.. anyone else out there a user of this older technology?
Surely the green glow of a fresh eye tube hasn't been forgotten?
in all seriousness are there any fans out there who seek to make their own?

I have a Loewe Opta in my room here and also have a Blaupunkt table radio from the 50's -I love the cabinetry of the German table radios.

Telefunkenfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2011, 10:56 pm

SammichEater wrote:
LCD>>>>>>>>>>CRT

'nuff said.

enjoy your LCD my 60's tube set won't die when I turn on the 833C driven Tesla coil! HA!

Wisguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2011, 11:38 pm

About three years ago I found and bought an unrestored Zenith 12-S-245 radio (1204 chassis) for $30 at a local yard sale. Its cabinet, although a bit scuffed up, was intact and solid and inside, except for its missing power transformer, was fully intact - including its OEM 6T5.

:D

A replacement power transformer was quickly secured, the old wax-paper caps, e-caps and several other faulty component parts (mainly resistors, but also its dial belts) were changed out and a few other minor repairs made and I can safely say that this is one of the very BEST AM radio receivers that I have ever had the pleasure of turning on! And yes, the 6T5 still has some of its 'green' left.

Mike

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2011, 1:11 am

I have a Philco 49-1607 console radio that I bought as my last birthday present to myself. I got it for $25 along with a 1980s custom built tube amp for an electric guitar (some electrical engineer built it apparently). I actually can't find much information about the console radio though, it is similar to the 49-1606 (looks exactly the same) except it has two tonearms, one for 78s and another for LPs. The 49-1609/1611/1613s are the only 1949 Philco console radios that could play both 78s and LPs, however they all look much different from mine. I am wondering if maybe I have a Canadian model or something.

I haven't got around to restoring it yet... the cabinet is in pretty rough shape... a leg is missing and lots of the wood has split and come apart and there are some overall structural problems with it. I am decent at working with wood though so I feel like repairing/restoring it is well within my skills. Replacing the capacitors is a whole other story though... even though I am a big computer geek I am not much into electronics so I have a lot of learning to do first.