World's Lightest Solid Takes Inspiration From Eiffel Tower

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-lightest-s ... 09070.html

Thankfully for those yokels who don't have subscriptions to science mags, Yahoo has us covered occasionally. Anyway, thought this was interesting :).

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-lightest-solid-takes-inspiration-eiffel-tower-134809070.html

Thankfully for those yokels who don't have subscriptions to science mags, Yahoo has us covered occasionally. Anyway, thought this was interesting :).

Way cool!

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 8:46 pm

this has to one fo the most interesting articles i have read in a long time,
i want a sample it looks so cool.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 9:11 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/worlds-lightest-solid-takes-inspiration-eiffel-tower-134809070.html

Interesting but as far as microstructure fabrication goes, not all that impressive.

They've basically just done what bronze sculpture artists do, but on a small scale, using existing microfabrication technology.

They haven't created a new material or figured out how to mass produce a super strong material such as carbon nanotubes.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 9:28 pm

Chronos wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Interesting but as far as microstructure fabrication goes, not all that impressive.

They've basically just done what bronze sculpture artists do, but on a small scale, using existing microfabrication technology.

They haven't created a new material or figured out how to mass produce a super strong material such as carbon nanotubes.

Its non carbon nanotube but... its something in the interim at least.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2011, 9:32 pm

Chronos wrote:

true, in essene anyone with the right tools can start using this method,

though the only comercial fabrication technique i know that has that kind of resolution is selective laser sintering and possibly UV stereolithograpy

i havent seen homebrew SLS machines but UVSL has been done for a few hundred bucks, the precision however still leaves a lot for it to make the materials in the article.
we saw a demonstration of a tabletop SLS machine with a vertical resolution of some 50 micrometers and a dot size of some 40 micrometers, those machines are quite pricey coming in at around 18.000 euros

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 12:54 am

I'm always down for a good weight loss program.

Lighter and stronger materials. That's a large piece of the conservation puzzle.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm

cw10 wrote:
I'm always down for a good weight loss program.

Lighter and stronger materials. That's a large piece of the conservation puzzle.

If they can make foldout cots for camping and hiking trips out of this stuff I'd be even happier.