Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2011, 2:27 am

i got my new graphics card and my computet now is more then overqualified for dragon age.

so i tried it out slowly adjusting the graphics, "i am paranoid of this thing now" and it ran smooth for a few minutes like it would and like before i got about 30 mins to an hour of smooth gaming, then it stutters and lags till i crash it and restart.

in other words nothing was fixed, it just looks prettier and screws up in style.

meanwhile fallout 3 is basicly fixed and runs in ultra, oblivion looks way better, skyrim is gorgous, i haven't try da2 but i bet it will be fine it always ran better from day one, darksiders runs nice almost looks like i'm playing on the ps3 and i have it on the highest resolution. never had a problem with valve games before, garry's mod spawns items in a second, it was getting to a point where spawning an object took 10 secs, the jalopy doesn't slow the game down like before. it was weird because i had a mod with 20+ drivable cars and trucks and they were fine, the only vehicle that was effected was the jalopy.

an i still can't figure out why the portal maps have no sound... i guess that is what portal is for...

basicly everything runs good on my computer but dragon age, i am not surprised after what that game has put me through i didn't expect it to ever run decently regardless to what i try. and i was right, it continues to be the ever present thorn in my side. even though it now has a proper rig to run it.

like a nice muscle car tuned to the hilt and back with 4 flat tires. bioware is the worst gaming company thus far that i have gotten games from. and that still stands in my eyes.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:00 am

Are you running it through steam? If so, right-click the game in steam and click "properties". Then click "verify integrity of game cache".

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 2:31 am

scubasteve wrote:
Are you running it through steam? If so, right-click the game in steam and click "properties". Then click "verify integrity of game cache".

that was among the 100 or so fixes i tried already, sorry but nothing helps this game. the only thing i can think of. is most of the people that can run this thing without a fuss are people with windows xp. so far those are the only ones that seem to have no trouble whatsoever.

but i am not even remotely willing to downgrade that far. the only option is to have a virtual win xp. but last time i tried that it wouldn't work with my graphics card, it was stuck at 256 bit depth. and i doubt if i try again it will be any different.

another widespread problem is phenom processers. for whatever reason it has dragon age hates phenoms, there are only a handfull of phenom users that are unaffected.

it also has nitpicks about ati readeons that was until some nivida users cropped up with similar problems.

but believe when i say this i have looked and tried nearly every fix i could find. i've spent the last 2 years in a war with this game. i am now paranoid of it. and i get anzity attacks thinking of fighting with it again and again.

but a game really only needs verified if it doesn't load. thanks for trying to help anyway. i think at this point even if i did fix it the 2 year struggle would still haunt me.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:25 am

Yeah, I've got an Intel processor and NVidia card, and running Windows XP 64-bit, so I guess that's why I never had a problem.

I'm guessing Rajit at tech support already suggested upgrading to the latest video drivers or beta drivers, disabling anything running in the background (ie. virus scanner), or uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

What Rajit won't tell you is if you're using a no-cd patch or steam activation crack, you should probably try a different one.

Aside from that, some people have had success getting it to run in Linux. (I didn't.) Don't even bother trying XP in a VM. It will not be able to access your video card directly. Instead, it creates a virtual video card, which will not be able to handle anything nearly as sophisticated as Dragon Age.

It was a great game, but not worth this much trouble. Try DA2?

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:53 pm

scubasteve wrote:
Yeah, I've got an Intel processor and NVidia card, and running Windows XP 64-bit, so I guess that's why I never had a problem.

I'm guessing Rajit at tech support already suggested upgrading to the latest video drivers or beta drivers, disabling anything running in the background (ie. virus scanner), or uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

What Rajit won't tell you is if you're using a no-cd patch or steam activation crack, you should probably try a different one.

Aside from that, some people have had success getting it to run in Linux. (I didn't.) Don't even bother trying XP in a VM. It will not be able to access your video card directly. Instead, it creates a virtual video card, which will not be able to handle anything nearly as sophisticated as Dragon Age.

It was a great game, but not worth this much trouble. Try DA2?

yeah technically after much research i found out i have the worst possible computer set up to play it, they call it the deadly trio on the bioware tech support, which is phenom+ win 7+ ati readeon= dragon age hell on earth.

i can't or won't turn off my virus scanner, but i did tell both avast and commodo to stop scanning my games every time i make a single move. as a result all but dragon age have been running better.

my dragon age is legit, no patch or crack. i downloaded it through steam so it needs no cd. so even a virtual console won't work, well thanks for telling me so i can avoid the frustration.

it is a good game and for a good while i did enjoy it, but honestly i was better off keeping the ps3 version, all it ever had was lag. but at some point i got paranoid of the game in general and turned it in. i got the pc version because of mods. it was the first time i found out about mods.

da2 runs way better compared to dao it's like night and day as far as stability goes on my machine. but i like the feature in da2 that allows you to import dao saves, i do have a program to make saves just to import in da2. but i have the same thing my dad has, we both like to fix things and we won't give up till we succeed, but i believe you are right in this situation. all this stress i have gotten from it isn't worth it. i'm better off uninstalling it and playing my other games that actually run decently.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 6:39 am

WAIT wait wait... Avast AND Comodo?? That may be your problem right there. You should never have more than 1 virus scanner installed at the same time. They interfere with each other and cause all sorts of problems. Choose one and uninstall the other.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 4:29 pm

scubasteve wrote:
WAIT wait wait... Avast AND Comodo?? That may be your problem right there. You should never have more than 1 virus scanner installed at the same time. They interfere with each other and cause all sorts of problems. Choose one and uninstall the other.

actually comodo is a firewall, i didn't know there was a virus scanner as well.

but i even had problems back when i just had norton and even when it flipped out and uninstalled itself and i just had avast and the windows firewall, dragon age still had problems.

but of all the games i have ever ran on my computer i thought skyrim would be the one that was the worst. even on my old crappy graphics card that was a media server ran skyrim better then dao, and skyrim was way more finicky and required way more graphics memory then dao does. my computer even with the new 2 gig card only meets the minimum requirements for skyrim, yet it runs better. my compy now is above and beyond what dao needs to run right and it still doesn't do so.

i decided you were right, the game isn't worth it. i got rid of it. it's a shame because i do love the game but i can't keep giving myself stress over it like this. even if i fixed it my fear alone would, ruin me because of the long struggle i've gone through.