Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2011, 10:04 am

Hey!
My Sony Vaio VGN NW11s is playing up.
Im trying to play Counter Strike Source on it, it plays at 100 fps for 2 seconds, then goes down to 30 for 1 second, then jumps higher and lower and so on.
This makes it incredible unplayable.
You would probably say:
Upgrade the drivers and it will be fine.
Well, I'd love to, but can't. I download the right ones, I remove all the other GPU related drivers,and when I go to install the ones that arent from Sony, I go to install them and it says "Graphics card not recognized" I have tried to let Steam detect them and install them and I get pretty much the same result.
So its probably an driver exclusive to Sony, that Sony will never be bothered to update again.

I have never had/noticed this problem before.
I hope there is nothing wrong with it, I bought it to replace my 1 year old half broken Macbook. I hope its a problem with the game.
The thing is, I got it from Cex, and I asked if formatting the HDD and installing my own OS's would effect the warranty and they said "Nope, it will only effect it if you have software problems.". You can bet your life they will try to get out of it by saying that Its something to do with the software.

But I have tried it on all different settings and still the same result, I have no trouble on other machines in my house, some weaker then my VAIO.
Specs:
4GB DDR2 Ram
ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4570 512Mb.
Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit

Help!
PS. Merry Xmas!
Also:
I have done virus scans, and nothing has come up, and I have also quit everything in the background and turned Aero off.
Something else worth mentioning:
When its plugged in, 3D Stuff runs well.
But when its plugged out, it impacts the FPS hugely in a bad way.
I still get this problem whether i'm plugged in or not.

OneCool
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Dec 2011, 6:35 pm

You could try uninstalling the Sony/Ati driver and then run Windows Update and see if it will find a more updated driver for you.
It really sounds like something in the back ground either hardware or software is doing it.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game?
It sucks that Sony (In their great wisdom) didnt opt out for mobile driver updates through AMD mobility.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2011, 6:37 pm

OneCool wrote:
You could try uninstalling the Sony/Ati driver and then run Windows Update and see if it will find a more updated driver for you.
It really sounds like something in the back ground either hardware or software is doing it.
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game?
It sucks that Sony (In their great wisdom) didnt opt out for mobile driver updates through AMD mobility.

Yeah, It sucks hardcore.
Well, I have tried reinstalling, I have tried using updated Windows drivers, but that just gives me even worse performance.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm

I had the same problem with my Toshiba - can't install the official AMD mobility driver. Ended up using modded drivers from Guru3D and they work pretty well. One thing I read though is you should install them over the manufacturers drivers. Apparently this keeps everything running happily like switchable graphics, power saving features etc.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:16 am

HalibutSandwich wrote:
I had the same problem with my Toshiba - can't install the official AMD mobility driver. Ended up using modded drivers from Guru3D and they work pretty well. One thing I read though is you should install them over the manufacturers drivers. Apparently this keeps everything running happily like switchable graphics, power saving features etc.

Any specific ones I need from Guru3D?
Or just ATI Mobility (I cannot find this in the download section)

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 6:37 am

Someone else may jump in before I get back to you but I'm due to upgrade mine so will have a look. They release them all the time. In fact I think there's a website which allows you to create your own inf file. It's not so much the official drivers don't work, just they don't recognize your card because it's ID isn't in the inf.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 5:13 pm

Check this forum thread for the newest ones. Haven't tested them yet tho.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=356146

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:15 pm

Tried and failed, I will have to do the INF thing by the looks of it.
Any one know how?

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 5:19 pm

How did it fail?

Edit:
You can try installing them manually. Quit out of the installer after it's unpacked the drivers. Go to Device Manager, right click card and select update. Point it to the folder holding the unpacked drivers.

Your lappie has switchable graphics? Then check here: http://leshcat.blogspot.com/

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:32 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
How did it fail?

Edit:
You can try installing them manually. Quit out of the installer after it's unpacked the drivers. Go to Device Manager, right click card and select update. Point it to the folder holding the unpacked drivers.

Your lappie has switchable graphics? Then check here: http://leshcat.blogspot.com/

It said the install finished and that there where errors, I clicked view logs, and nothing showed up.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2011, 6:36 pm

Madbones, realized you're using 32 bit. A guy in the following thread has a Vaio with a 4570 and said their drivers work great. Maybe try them:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobility- ... 1-a-5.html

Follow the instructions to the letter!

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:40 pm

HalibutSandwich wrote:
Madbones, realized you're using 32 bit. A guy in the following thread has a Vaio with a 4570 and said their drivers work great. Maybe try them:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobility- ... 1-a-5.html

Follow the instructions to the letter!

Ah thanks!
I think that might do it, Il do it later if I feel up to it, if not Il try and do it tomorrow, it looks pretty hopeful though.

HalibutSandwich
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2011, 1:23 am

I just installed those drivers on my Toshi and they're working very, very well. Absolutely no installation problems. I have a HD5650 and running 64bit though so YMMV. Let us know how it goes.

BTW are you running the OS that came with the lappie or is it a custom install? Because it could be the Sony bloatware that is screwing you around if the former.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 6:32 am

HalibutSandwich wrote:
I just installed those drivers on my Toshi and they're working very, very well. Absolutely no installation problems. I have a HD5650 and running 64bit though so YMMV. Let us know how it goes.

BTW are you running the OS that came with the lappie or is it a custom install? Because it could be the Sony bloatware that is screwing you around if the former.

Trust me... That crap ware is far gone *shudders*
Just about to try it.
I'l keep you posted!

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 6:36 am

Hell yeah. 8)
It works, it works... It works!!
YES.
Thanks!