Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 9:21 pm

So I got a Panasonic stereo from my friend's father for helping them move some stuff. It's a 5 CD changer, with MP3 CD capability, and it's not bad looking either. Everything turns on and works as it's supposed to, except that there's no sound. Like, no errors come up, when you put a CD in, it'll show you all the tracks and play them, but no sound. No sound out of the headphone jack, either.

So I've narrowed it to two possible things. The first is, it has a fan, and the fan doesn't kick on, so maybe the fan's just broken and it's just not making sound to safeguard itself. So replacing the fan shouldn't be too hard, if I can determine it's a fan, and not a switch or a relay or something on the board. The other is a blown fuse. Which, if it's blown, not terribly hard to fix, buy a new one, put in, and yeah. But, my question is, basically, anybody have any ideas besides that of what could possibly be broken in it?

I mean I'm not unhappy with what he gave me, as the speakers that came with it are quite nice, and fit my other Panasonic stereo (that someone threw out, only problem was the lense needed cleaning) perfectly as they're both 6ohms and both have the same wiring setup, red and black and white and blue for the woofer. What's good about the speakers he gave me is, they're like 5% less loud, but they take up much less space on my desk, they're not much bigger than PC speakers, which is great. And the CD player is the same way, it's smaller than my other Panasonic stereo, and it's just more convenient to fit in my cramped room. So, worst comes to worst, I junk it, but I'd like to save the stereo. Ideally, I'd like another decent non 1970s stereo for my garage, too, so if I can transfer the bigger Panasonic from my room to the garage, that'd be great.

Anyway, any ideas?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:51 pm

some jejune guesses-
the speaker wire may be frayed at the terminal ends, sufficient to where a stray strand might be shorting out in one or both stereo amp outputs which would result in no output due to the amp's protection circuitry. there could also be a short inside where something [something as simple as a dead insect or maybe corrosion] might be crossing the + & - wires at the amp output. the fact that you hear no headphone sound means that the protection circuitry mutes output from the preamp level forwards, the preamp is what supplies the headphone jack's output so that could be why you're not hearing any output there also. i'm no expert and that is just a guess. if it has a display it might not always show that protection is activated, not all these little stereos have amp status displays. i wish i were my oldest brother and that i lived near you so i could fix it. he can fix anything but i can't even fix beans. :oops: sorry.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:55 pm

So I took it apart and seemed to have fixed it, basically one of the boards was loose and it's pins weren't connecting with the other board's pins, and yeah. Yay stereo.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 2:44 am

1000Knives wrote:
So I took it apart and seemed to have fixed it, basically one of the boards was loose and it's pins weren't connecting with the other board's pins, and yeah. Yay stereo.

wow :o you're way ahead of me. :wtg: