Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 5:20 am

So who is gonna buy it, main reason im buying it is because the Windows Media Player miniplayer works in the 64bit edition, where as it doesnt in XP64bit :(.

The other reason im gonna buy it is becase of my experiences with other...not so bought...XP's havent been great, bit too much hassle than its worth. So i guess you could say Microsoft has succeded.

5 days to go!

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 5:53 am

Quote:
So who is gonna buy it, main reason im buying it is because the Windows Media Player miniplayer works in the 64bit edition, where as it doesnt in XP64bit

Me, for one....mainly due to having fallen out of bed this morning and having landed on my head. 8O Uhm, no, not really :lol: Even though it's an improvement over XP, I want it just for DirectX10 and gaming so can only justify getting the cheapest "Home Basic" edition. There's no way I'm paying £370 for the Ultimate Edition. These, IMO, extortionate prices is part of my motivation to make mix of Mac OS and Linux my primary "work" *cough cough* systems. Although I probably won't get my Vista until I get my Mac Pro in a few months.

It's really Mac OS X Leopard, more than Vista, that I'm looking forward to. :D

Can you not use an alternative to Media Player? Perhaps Media Center?

Quote:
The other reason im gonna buy it is becase of my experiences with other...not so bought...XP's havent been great, bit too much hassle than its worth. So i guess you could say Microsoft has succeded.

Yeah, think I can agree with you there; everyone I've known who's tried a "less-than-official" installation of XP has had serious problems mainly with stuff like system updates and MS seem to have succeeded in making pirating of their wares much more problematic.

Quote:
5 days to go!

Doomsday, T Minus 5 days. *God preparing the locusts* :lol:

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 6:06 am

£370? You can get Home Premium on Ebuyer for £70, Ultimate is £115 OEM, who uses manuals these days anyway?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123067 Home Premium for £67....

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:25 am

Bongo2k wrote:
£370? You can get Home Premium on Ebuyer for £70, Ultimate is £115 OEM,

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/123067 Home Premium for £67....

Hmmm, only problem is I'm not building new system....

Quote:
who uses manuals these days anyway?

This is true.

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 6:29 am

andy1976uk wrote:

Huh? I think thats only to warn people that want the retail that its only for advanced people :)

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:34 am

Bongo2k wrote:
andy1976uk wrote:

Huh? I think thats only to warn people that want the retail that its only for advanced people :)

Not sure if this'll apply to me because MS are already aware of this PC (custom build) thanks to me having bought XP. I've not tried this OEM stuff before so bit perplexed. :? :?:

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 6:57 am

My XP works just fine. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, especially if MicroSoft's doin' the fixin'.

Bongo2k
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2007, 7:04 am

andy1976uk wrote:
Bongo2k wrote:
andy1976uk wrote:

Not sure if this'll apply to me because MS are already aware of this PC (custom build) thanks to me having bought XP. I've not tried this OEM stuff before so bit perplexed. :? :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_E ... nufacturer :

"Original Equipment Manufacturer (frequently abbreviated OEM) is a company that builds products or components that are used in products sold by another company (often called a value-added reseller, or VAR).........

OEM, when used to describe software, is used to differentiate that version of the software which is bundled with other hardware or software from that same software package sold on its own as a retail package. The packaging and legal rights that come with the OEM versions of a software package generally differ from what is provided with the retail versions."

What this basicly means is that if you buy a "OEM" prodcut you will just get the CD(with case obviously) and the CDKey (dunno about manuals anymore). No pretty box or anything else. Its ALOT cheaper than the retail boxed product and if you know what your doing then you shouldnt have any problems anyway :).

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 7:11 am

Bongo2k wrote:
andy1976uk wrote:
Bongo2k wrote:
andy1976uk wrote:

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_E ... nufacturer:

"Original Equipment Manufacturer (frequently abbreviated OEM) is a company that builds products or components that are used in products sold by another company (often called a value-added reseller, or VAR)."

What this basicly means is that if you buy a "OEM" prodcut you will just get the CD

Quote:
(with case obviously)

:lol: *getting mental image of scruffy jiffy bag containing CD being put through the letterbox*

Quote:
and the CDKey (dunno about manuals anymore). No pretty box or anything else. Its ALOT cheaper than the retail boxed product and if you know what your doing then you shouldnt have any problems anyway :).

Seems Ultimate Edition wasn't £370 after all (or not on eBuyer anyway) as was asserted in the PC magazine, but closer to £320. Seems a little strange that a box and manual could justify an extra £200 cost.... :? Is the installation/registration procedure radically different than normal?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 7:29 am

It requires too much of a hardware upgrade. Not interested. This old fuddy duddy is still running Win 2000 Professional, and it works fine.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 7:49 am

The consensus opinion on here, out of several dozen posters, is much the same....
"don't need it", "don't want it", "too expensive", "am switching to Mac/Linux" and so on.
Would be interesting to know how representative of the wider world those opinions are.
Could microsoft finally be about to get it's long-overdue comeuppance? :D *salivating at prospect of getting to throw spare change at dumpster-dwelling gates/ballmer* :twisted:

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jan 2007, 12:13 pm

I would probably get it if all the drivers for what I use were ready for it - but as of now there is still no driver for my MIDI music keyboard / controller for Vista. Otherwise, being a gamer and generally liking "eye candy" and newer technologies I'm eager to see what it has to offer in those areas. Anyone know if the Nvidia drivers are good and stable for Vista yet?

I recently bought a laptop which included a free upgrade to Vista in the deal so the money isn't an issue - just want to make sure everything is going to work properly.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 12:59 pm

I'll be sticking to Kubuntu Linux 6.10. Haven't purchased a Microsoft product since my Xbox, and I put Linux on that the first chance I got.

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 1:12 pm

Jameson wrote:
I'll be sticking to Kubuntu Linux 6.10. Haven't purchased a Microsoft product since my Xbox, and I put Linux on that the first chance I got.

Hey thanks for your advice about Kubuntu, is much appreciated and have been meaning to thank you :D Am hoping to take Kubuntu for another spin tomorrow morning then subscribe to Cedega.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 1:18 pm

Happy to help. Love seeing others move towards the cause. :D

Edit: Make sure you check the cedega compatibility list before you buy it. Lots of stuff that works on it, but a few things out there that don't.

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2007, 2:46 pm

I bought my iMac as a preemptive reaction to Windows Vista.