Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 11:00 pm

Looking for some advice on speeding up a bogged down mac-intel model - loaded with adobe suite.

I've deleted a bunch of excess files, but it still hasn't returned to its original speed. Any ideas?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:37 am

I am planning to become an Apple Zealot.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

RockoTDF
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2007, 4:19 pm

Its likely that unless you bought it recently that it only has 512MB of RAM. I would recommend at least a gig.

Mishcana
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2007, 9:42 pm

I think it is 512; still it's slower than it was initially and the programs crash more. Just trying to figure out if I've done something wrong before shelling out t he cast for an upgrade (also decide if I should just get another computer)

singularitymadam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: I live in a Mad Max movie. It's not as fun as it sounds.

27 Aug 2007, 12:43 am

Mishcana, did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem, and I thought the solution would just be to get more RAM. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, though. I'm also a college student, so I have no desire to shell out the asking price for a new MacBook Pro...fixing my old Powerbook G4 seems like the best idea, and if it's possible, I'd like to know.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2007, 11:28 am

If you only have 512 then adding more ram will definitely be good for it. If you haven't before or haven't in a while you can also run the permission and disk repair off of the mac os x CD. Sometimes that can make a big difference and doesn't take very long at all.

What specifically is slower and can you give a little more info about your computer? Have you been trying to run any new applications lately?

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

My next computer may be a Mac.

ion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2007, 6:51 pm

I'm utilitarian, so right now I use a Mac, because it's the best computer for my needs.

As for being bogged down, I have that problem myself.
I use GIMP instead, because I have no money for fancy schmancy stuff (plus the damn serial cracker didn't work...)

I only have 512MB so far, and running certain apps, often java based, tend to bog it down pretty good.
Also, I think it's pretty weird how it's even possible to create a simple gallery program that's half a gigabyte big (iPhoto) when Google picasa is 1% the size and a much better program...
So their apps aren't the most optimized I've ever seen.

Don't run other heavy programs at the same time, especially java, get some more memory, use intel-compiled programs rather than universals if you can.

Katou
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Aug 2007, 8:42 pm

I've been a Mac zealot for years.. I've got a PowerBook G4 for my travels and Mac Mini (Intel on order!)

More memory definitely helps with OSX, but I can't see how an Intel-based Mac is bogging down - care to explain a bit more? Have you tried running a diags software such as AppleJack or Cocktail to clean it up?