Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:04 pm

I just downloaded Skype and called my home phone number. It actually worked. Now I am scared that Skype charged me for this call. Is there anyway they can charge me for the call I made? BTW, I don't have Skype credit.

oblekis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2008, 7:10 pm

Ive only used Skype for calling my sister in California. I am in South Carolina. I "call" her computer from mine and we have a video chat. Its really cool...I can see her and her kids clear as day. Its a free call that way. Im not sure about landline calling though.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:14 pm

It would be impossible for them to charge me if I never gave a credit card number right? They better not charge me...

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2008, 7:47 pm

I think you only get one free call to an "outside" phone. If you opt for out-calling in the home window there is a tab that has
"call phones" in that tab you will find a link to a list of rates for long distance calls to foreign phones. Skype to Skype is always
free, so try to stay with that if possible.

petal
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Apr 2008, 8:02 pm

I don't know much about skype, but all I can say is that it is excellent. We have gotten rid of our home phone and now we just use the skype phone. EVERYTHING is cheaper. the rates are better.
When I was overseas, my family used skype to call me and it costed them practically nothing. Everything is great about it. If your thinking of getting it I would certainly recommend it. :lol:

jason_b1980
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

We have digital phone here from Time Warner. Free long distance. One flat fee. One thing I might add, unless both parties have a good connection, then Skype or any other VOIP apps will have delay and echo in them. I'm sure they have improved this from when I last used one though. I know Teamspeak sounds good, if it's set up properly.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm

They use your pay pal account. I'm guessing if you dident have skype credit they didn't charge you. Some times skype gives new users 10 min of free skype credit . I wouldent worry, if they have you pay pal details then loom there for answers.

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 1:41 am

pat666rick wrote:
It would be impossible for them to charge me if I never gave a credit card number right?
But you did give them your home number, and your phone company probably does have your credit card number. They can charge the receiver for a collect call, so theoretically it's possible. I would have expected them to disclose something like that though, so that's probably not what actually happened.
petal wrote:
We have gotten rid of our home phone and now
8O I hope you have at least a cell phone or something, because Skype doesn't do emergency numbers like 911 (or whatever number you use for emergencies where you live).

If you don't have another real phone for emergencies, just get one of those pay as you go GSM phones and keep the battery charged. You don't actually have to pay because emergency numbers use a different system that doesn't need activation. Any GSM phone can dial 112 for emergencies, even without a SIM card.

voss749
Raven
Raven

18 Apr 2008, 10:56 am

All new skype accounts come with a certain amount of free time...

All time after that on skype is PREPAID, you will have to buy credits. You will NOT be billed.