List some essential software that isn't well-known

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2008, 11:54 am

Transcribe! can slow down music without altering pitch, can transpose in other keys without changing beat (very handy when you want to ear the bass well, transpose up 12 half-tones...;) )

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 1:16 pm

I have been using XBMC media center, since getting off the satellite dish, was going though TV withdrawal one morning and thought, why don't I set my main computer up as a media center, and I had a dvi to hdmi cable and a lcd tv, well it works great, XBMC media center is open source and can be downloaded at sourceforge.net, it can be used as a computer media center or on an XBox, I may actally get an Xbox now since the program windows are configured to work with the game pads.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmc

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:02 am

GhostWall
Clamwin Antivirus
DivX
DosBox
CCleaner
Defraggler

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 1:31 pm

My favourite little utility is one I wrote myself years ago, a simple program to inject keystrokes into the keyboard buffer stream. Or in plain English with a mouse click I can automatically fill in forms with my email address, phone number, address or log into various web sites, etc, etc. A simple but very handy utility when you type something in frequently. I may release a freeware version of it sometime.

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 4:05 pm

Ashton, yes
Pidgin. My favourite, it's replaced my instant messaging needs (ICQ, MSN, Hotmail, Jabber(XMPP), IRC(! !))
Ekiga Voice IP (voip) application. Nice, although I enounter some problems. (it's my first one. There's a beta for Windows)

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 5:34 pm

GIMP - Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop alternative..awesome I love it :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 5:54 pm

Bunni wrote:
GIMP - Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop alternative..awesome I love it :)

I downloaded GIMP but don't find it very intuitive. I've got an icon (multiple sized images inside the one icon) and I want to paste some text on to the images. I've tried a few times now but just can't get it to work. Any suggestions?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 8:50 pm

try Gimpshop, I'd recommend Artweaver, also freeware (and out of the box looks a lot like photoshop)

Bunni
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm

I've got a bunch of GIMP links on my graphics page on my site :) http://home.comcast.net/~somebunni/Graphics.htm

I did most of the site in GIMP too :)

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger, and really pisses me off.