Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

kip
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:30 pm

Ok, normally I can answer other peoples computer questions, but this one's got me stumped.

I have a Toshiba with a psychotic overheating problem. It just randomly shuts off. Not too big a deal. Now... can anyone tell my why, when it does this, sometimes when I power it back on, there is no sound device windows can recognise, or the touchpad doesn't work, or the keyboard is on hyper and double types every key? Oh, and now firefox will NOT save cookies. Even with all the settings set to remember them, it deletes everything as soon as I close it. I save my login info for every website I visit to save myself time, and now I have to remember all the different passwords.

Everything but the firefox problem can be solved by forcing it to shut down. Is it maybe some sort of power transfer problem? It's more of an annoyance then the end of the world, but it's bugging me I caint fix it.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 6:49 pm

You mean like a laptop?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kip
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 7:07 pm

Yea, a Toshiba laptop.

A75 to be exact.

I just noticed something... it's not deleting ALL cookies. It remembers sites I've been to in the address bar. It just refuses to remember I want PASSWORDS to those sites. *dropkick*

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Jul 2008, 7:27 pm

What OS do you have? If you have windows Vista it is unfixable, I tried,if you have linux or any other version of windows reinstall firefox

kip
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 11:17 am

Windows XP.

I need to think before I post, heh. You could have used that info.

I tried reloading firefox. Even when I uninstall it, it's not coming completely off, cause all my saved bookmarks are there when I reinstall. So thats probably why reinstalling it isn't working.

Kcihtred2
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2008, 5:01 pm

try ccleaner. it deletes temp folders and stuff like that. and restores IE/FIREFOX... to like brand new

kip
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2008, 6:48 pm

Ok, sounds like a plan. I'll let you know how it went.

aspiewhostandsalone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2008, 10:42 pm

Hey Kip not to state the overly obvious but some BIOS have a shutdown temp setting. Have you tried to adjust it to where the temp ur lappy is at now wont cause it to shut down?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 11:42 pm

I WISH it had a temp setting! :roll:

It has issues. Best we can come up with is bad board. Cause sometimes... it just STOPS. Not even anything in the error log.

I formatted it, fixed the firefox password prob. It needed a fresh start anyway.

I swear, techs have like, the crappiest comps. Maybe cause they know how to fix, deal with, or work around all the problems or limitations?

aspiewhostandsalone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2008, 11:45 am

kip that maybe true but every machine i've built has been rock solid unless the user doesn't virus scan or visits a bunch of sites that have malware the machines are rock solid and stable

bobbob94
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jul 2008, 5:37 am

I fixed my friends old P4 laptop with similar problems by blowing all the dust out of the heatsink with compressed air- P4's run hot and it wasn't able to get rid of the heat, leadaing to weird behaviour and random shutdowns cos of overheating. Of course it might well not be that at all for you, but it reminded me that sometimes there's a simple physical explanation for computer weirdness!

kip
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 2:23 pm

bobbob94 wrote:
I fixed my friends old P4 laptop with similar problems by blowing all the dust out of the heatsink with compressed air- P4's run hot and it wasn't able to get rid of the heat, leadaing to weird behaviour and random shutdowns cos of overheating. Of course it might well not be that at all for you, but it reminded me that sometimes there's a simple physical explanation for computer weirdness!

Don't I know it! Unfortunatly, this Toshiba in particular has a crappy heatsink design, so he gets a monthly bath.

Oh well, formatting fixed most of the annoying issues for the moment, the only one really left is the sound issue. And that I KNOW is the board... *sigh*

One day, when I'm rich and famous... new lappy...

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:44 am

Check PCHealth in the Bios and set tempature controls to none.

Download and run CCleaner.

Hope this helps.