virus, trojan, spyware, adware, whatelseware....

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2008, 1:45 pm

Do i need a specific removal tool for each kind of threath ? Is there someone who could list ALL species of badware ? How can i be (reasonably) protected against all those ?

You see, for now i have an anti-virus, an anti-spy, an anti-AD, i have the pop-up blocker activated, the firewall too, and still, when i run spybot for instance, it constantly finds tens of bad things....

..... and my machine is soooooooo slow ! !! ! :?

Balefire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2008, 3:51 pm

First off, if you are willing try something new, I highly recommend switching to Linux. No viruses, adware, spyware, or trojans (you can get one of these, but you have to be an idiot). The only types of commonly seen malware for linux are the worms and rootkits, but if your system is kept up to date, even these are rarely an issue. If Linux isn't an option, then check out the free VMWare Player. It will protect you from adware/spyware/trojans/viruses if the browser app is the only way you ever access the internet. If you get VMware Player or Linux, all the security programs (except the firewall and antivirus just in case) will be unnecessary. I recommend using ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG 8 Free Anti-Virus. They seem to slow my system very little, and mostly result in a slightly slower boot-up.

EDIT: Before uninstalling tools, run them one last time to make sure your system is clean.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 5:09 pm

You may also find the info in this thread to be of help in getting your computer to run like it should.

Brunny
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2008, 5:16 pm

Don't worry too much about the number of things spybot finds. It's more a case of WHAT it finds. Usually when it finds loads of things it's just cookies to decide what banner ads etc. you see.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 1:59 am

Brunny wrote:
Don't worry too much about the number of things spybot finds. It's more a case of WHAT it finds. Usually when it finds loads of things it's just cookies to decide what banner ads etc. you see.

What Bruuny said.

Try using the AVG suite, it has all of that (antivirus, antispyware) and doesn't slow down your system :)

* Ad blocker: Just use Firefox + adblock plus
* Popup blocker: firefox has it included
* Firewall: Which one do you use? The one that comes with windows (SP2) is good enough
* Spyware: I have Spybot S&D without the "tea timer" add-on, and I only update it like once a month.
* DON'T use IE

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

Balefire wrote:
First off, if you are willing try something new, I highly recommend switching to Linux. No viruses, adware, spyware, or trojans (you can get one of these, but you have to be an idiot). The only types of commonly seen malware for linux are the worms and rootkits, but if your system is kept up to date, even these are rarely an issue. If Linux isn't an option, then check out the free VMWare Player. It will protect you from adware/spyware/trojans/viruses if the browser app is the only way you ever access the internet. If you get VMware Player or Linux, all the security programs (except the firewall and antivirus just in case) will be unnecessary. I recommend using ZoneAlarm Free Firewall and AVG 8 Free Anti-Virus. They seem to slow my system very little, and mostly result in a slightly slower boot-up.

EDIT: Before uninstalling tools, run them one last time to make sure your system is clean.

Sorry I'm gonna have to say this but Zonealarm Free is a piece of s***. Its Bloated and doesn't even do its job due to the fact that Zonealarm is only putting protection into the Pay-For Program. I would get Sygate or Ghostwall, both free and the Sygate is especially far better than the Windows Firewall and was good enough for Symantec to buy out the company and make Norton Firewall out of it.[Sygate Firewall dates back to 2005 before it was bought by Symantec.] I would also get Avast Antivirus, Its free and doesn't use up 100% of your CPU like AVG.

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2008, 10:24 am

Zonealarm slowed my internet way down, so does Avasts internet providers/scanner(I only have two providers turned on now, the Standard Shield and the Instant Messaging one). AVG won't run on my computer for some reason so I use Avast.

Quote:
Do i need a specific removal tool for each kind of threath ? Is there someone who could list ALL species of badware ? How can i be (reasonably) protected against all those ?

It's a good idea that once you find a threat, you look it up online. Some threats need to be removed in specific ways. Many can simply be deleted/removed or quarantined using the anti-virus or spyware program that found them. Unless you're computer literate and know what you're doing, you should look stuff up before deleting/removing stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History