Having a problem with read-only folders in windows 7

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 3:15 am

I installed a game on my new laptop and I go to tweak one of the files in it to mod my game. I unchecked the read only box in the folders properties menu and applied the setting to all subfolders and files but it still won't let me make any changes to the files. Am I missing something needed to add the write permission to the folder and it's files?

It seems that with windows 7, all my A+ and MCP training goes out the window.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 9:46 am

Under advanced properties for the file you may have the option to take ownership of it, you could try that. Um, and close any processes that look like they might be using it. Maybe restart into safe mode and toggle the properties for the files on and off? I'd try that sort of thing.

The year is still young.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 12:37 pm

Windows 7, default admin account, UAC enabled, game installed to program files directory?
If that is the case, then the problem is likely related to Integrity Level.

Starting from Vista, every securable object has an IL. The default is medium but some important stuff, like program files directories and windows directory, is set to high. Every process also has an IL. The default for standard user and admin under UAC is medium. Only process with equal or higher IL to an object can modify it. That's why you need to elevate an installer to install a program.

So if you want to modify high IL files, you need to elevate the program you use to make those changes.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2009, 4:23 pm

The current A+ is on the 70x something or other now. But I don't think Windows Seven will be included. There is always a way. Take ownership, check your privileges to see if you can take ownership. I've noticed with Vista (basic elements of Vista are found in Seven) it's possible to access a folder where a higher account was needed. I can't remember how I managed it, but I know it's possible.

From what I am thinking now, it could be part of my multi-booting that meant I could change the properties of directories and sub-directories at will.... ahh, the advantage of more than one OS...

matt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 11:54 am

This behavior seems ridiculous to me, but in newer versions of Windows it seems that all folders are set as read-only.

If a folder is set as read-only that doesn't mean that said folder actually is read-only. If the files within said folder aren't marked as read-only then they may still be modified, and files may be saved therein.

It is still possible to change permissions on the folders and files, but for some reason the folders continue to say they're read-only.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

M$ never supported the read only attribute on directories under any OS. On Windows, it's used by Explorer to indicate a customized folder.

And does anyone actually read my post? On Windows Vista and later, there's a new property called Integrity Level (IL). "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Windows" has an IL level of high, and programs not elevated by UAC only has an IL level of medium. That's why you have to elevate whatever program you use before you can do anything to files in those directories.

If it's explorer that you wanted to use, then there's a problem. The shell (desktop and start menu) is also provided by explorer, and starting explorer merely tells the existing shell to open a new window. There's a setting to use a separate instance for explorer but you must elevate without any explorer window.