Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:06 pm

Has anyone here tried to create their own programs using the TI-83 calculator's BASIC system? I do this regularly to help with my Calculus class, I have so many now that I have to keep some in Archive Memory for the calculator. Here's a sample that you math whizzes can use. It's a program to help expand binomials, it makes use of Pascal's Triangle and the Binomial theorem. Here's the code:

Code:
Prgm:BNOMTHRM
Prompt A,B,C,D,N
seq(N nCr X,X,0,N,1)->L.PSCL
seq(M,M,0,N,1)->L.B
N-L.B->L.A
((A^C)^L.A)*((B^D)^L.B)*LPSCL->L.ANS
Disp L.ANS
Return

(Note: The syntax for lists is impossible to replicate on the computer, so I've used the notation L. instead. For the actual caluclator program, go to the LIST:OPS menu and scroll down to the last item (shaped like a subscript L.). Press Enter to insert into the program.

This program takes the coefficients of a binomial of the form (Ax^C + By^D)^N and returns a list containing the coefficients of the expanded binomial. You enter the coefficents (A & B) the exponents of each item (C & D), and the binomial exponent (N). Then, using the sequence function and the nCr function, the program recreates row N of Pascal's Triangle and saves it to a list. Finally, it follows the binomial theroem and multiplies this list by the coefficents A & B to the power of C & D to the power of M and N-M. The result is a list N+1 units long with each unit corresponding to a coefficient.

Try it out and see what you think!

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 11:52 pm

I never did much in TI BASIC. I think all I had of interest was a quadratic equation solver and a program to find the determinant of 3x3 matrices. Really rudimentary stuff.

unreal3x
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jan 2009, 12:23 am

Quote:
Prgm:MSFTBSTPGMEVA
: Disp "This is a program"
: Disp "This latest version will never freeze"
: Lbl A
: pause
: Disp "Buy this now"
: goto A

:lol:

KazigluBey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2009, 12:37 am

That's funny.

The last calculator I messed with programming stuff was the TI-82 and that was many moons ago.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2009, 1:20 pm

unreal3x wrote:
Quote:
Prgm:MSFTBSTPGMEVA
: Disp "This is a program"
: Disp "This latest version will never freeze"
: Lbl A
: Disp "Buy this now"
: goto A

:lol:

ROFL, nice...

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.