Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

shugo974
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 5:53 pm

I want to get rid of windows ME from my PC but I dont want to get rid of linux and have to reinstall it... what can I do?

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 May 2009, 6:31 pm

Are both your OSes in seperate partitions? If so, you should be able to simply format (or delete) tje Windows partition as long as your boot loader is not in that partition. As long as they're in two seperate partitions, even if you do delete your boot loader, you can still boot up with a live-cd and reinstall GRUB or LILO. Once windows is deleted, you may want to edit your bootloader to remove the entry for Windows.

If you have Linux embedded into Windows, and installed in the same partition, then no, if you delete Windows you'll delete Linux. This method is fairly new, most likely you have Linux in it's own partition.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 7:12 pm

Assuming Windows and Linux are in separate partitions... load up any livecd that has gparted (I use Ubuntu just because I always have that one handy) and use gparted to delete the Windows partition, then edit the size of your Linux partition to fill up the space vacated. If Linux is to the right of Windows in your partition scheme, it will take a while.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2009, 11:30 pm

Reinstalling grub through a liveCD will eliminate windows from the list, if the partition is gone.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 2:13 am

Did you install Linux under Windows or did you create a separate partition and boot from the disc? If you installed to MBR, you have no problem, if you installed to boot sector of boot partitionm you should be fine too...

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2009, 3:04 am

Orwell wrote:
Assuming Windows and Linux are in separate partitions... load up any livecd that has gparted (I use Ubuntu just because I always have that one handy) and use gparted to delete the Windows partition, then edit the size of your Linux partition to fill up the space vacated. If Linux is to the right of Windows in your partition scheme, it will take a while.

Don't assume, make sure before you do anything, losing everything isn't worth the risk (and if it is worth the risk to you, you're lazy and won't learn much from this).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 10:03 am

normally_impaired wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Don't assume, make sure before you do anything, losing everything isn't worth the risk (and if it is worth the risk to you, you're lazy and won't learn much from this).

Well, those are the instructions for if they are in separate partitions, which seems pretty likely considering that it's Windows ME (pretty old) and the more exotic methods like Wubi didn't exist until fairly recently. I would hope the OP knows whether or not Linux has its own partition.